10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

I said earlier that lego will trim its exclusive selection because the market is oversaturated. The firm was releasing them at such a rate in the last few years that it is almost necessary to retire some in order to keep production sensible considering the relatively smaller target group. Imho kingdoms joust will also disappear in january at the latest if production has not already stopped and what we are seeing are only the remaining stocks which I wouldn't be surprised at in the light of its small demand and being overshadowed by more spectacular sets.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1

I said earlier that lego will trim its exclusive selection because the market is oversaturated. The firm was releasing them at such a rate in the last few years that it is almost necessary to retire some in order to keep production sensible considering the relatively smaller target group. Imho kingdoms joust will also disappear in january at the latest if production has not already stopped and what we are seeing are only the remaining stocks which I wouldn't be surprised at.

If it's not gone, I expect to see a 25% - 50% discount on Kingdom's Joust in early 2015.

I said earlier that lego will trim its exclusive selection because the market is oversaturated. The firm was releasing them at such a rate in the last few years that it is almost necessary to retire some in order to keep production sensible considering the relatively smaller target group. Imho kingdoms joust will also disappear in january at the latest if production has not already stopped and what we are seeing are only the remaining stocks which I wouldn't be surprised at in the light of its small demand and being overshadowed by more spectacular sets.

well, LEGO Shop at Home has it at "limit 2"

just sayin'

Here is my thought on the R2-D2 Droid, don't wait to the last minute like alot of you are doing, buy one now and then so when it does get ready to retire the panic buying starts, now I am pretty sure it will be around another year or so, and why would anybody think that this will not be a big winner, the guys who think it won't be and are not buying any now will be the panic buyers when it does get ready to retire. Now I have 24 now, and will have 30-40 by next year. On the 24 I have I paid $134 for 4 of them from Amazon, and the rest from Barnes and Noble for $127 with 30% Kids Coupons and 10% Membership. "And I will be boxing these up in a week or two. So don't wait to the last minute. Ed

I'm just curious which B&****** store did you get your R2D2?

emazers really got good prices on those R2s for $127 ... $50 off is a great starting point and lots of room for profit there ... those like myself who were not lucky enough to have the B&****** deal have to deal with buying R2 in the $160-$180 range ... big difference but if this set does indeed blow up, paying the MSRP price isnt so bad ...

like always, must be nice to have disposable income to buy over $3000 worth of one set!

Guest TabbyBoy

When were these 3 for 2 at Argos? I did hear of this offer not long ago but when I add 3 of them in the basket, it's still full price to pay... :(

I'm going back about 18 months or so and I bought at the shop rather than online.  One thing to watch out for in Argos is when they have these offers, you get the cheapest 3rd free.  I mean if you buy 3x R2-D2, 3x Technic Crane & 3x Minecraft, you'll just get the 3x Minecraft free rather than one set of each if you ordered separately.  Argos are sneaky like this.

Edited as I forgot to say that ALWAYS pick up from Argos as their quality of packing is abysmal.  You don't want sets shipped in a low-cost bin liner, do you?

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy

Bigger or Better R2 than this?/...Yeah like a 20,000 piece life size one....or an r3d3. We have noticed Lego has been crazy to EOL or have no stock of other very HOT items...Maybe you are crazy

Maybe I am crazy, friends/family that have seen me blow

This set is available everywhere (except maybe Walmart.com) in the US - where Star Wars sets are normally sold out before the rest of the world because of high demand. So why do you guys / gals think it's retiring?

Am I missing something? 

(I admit I haven't followed it closely)

This set is available everywhere (except maybe Walmart.com) in the US - where Star Wars sets are normally sold out before the rest of the world because of high demand. So why do you guys / gals think it's retiring?

Am I missing something? 

(I admit I haven't followed it closely)

You are not missing anything.  I do not think it will retire by Christmas but I think it is near its retirement.  Why would we want to get it?  Well LEGO Shop at Home 10% back in 2x vip plus a great Christmas set.  Plus unless we want to be scrambling any time between now and 1 year from now like people always do on SSD, GE and HH then it is time to start stockpiling.  It could end very soon or it could go on for a while but most I think feel it is a set that will perform very nicely a couple of years after retirement.  Hope that helps.

Picked up 2 more at Intertoys last Sunday. 130 euro p.p. is a good price for this set.. I really don't have a clue what Lego will do with this set. I do think it's a guaranteed moneymaker, it is a very good designed model of the most popular SW-character.

Personally I have a feeling the 10214 TB will be on its last legs.. this set has the biggest priority for me at this moment; difficult to get these with a large discount applied on it.

Edited by JM123

I continue adding more to my collection every now and then. I plan to keep one for myself, its just that I have no room to build it. I keep rotating the sets I have on display at home cause I don't want my house to turn into a LEGO showroom.

It one of the MOST iconic characters of the movie, the cute little droid that's always on top of the game whatever the situation! Men, women and kids love it! So even at retail its still a very solid thing to invest in.

OK, phew! Thanks!

For some reason, at some point in the past, the idea that R2D2 will stay pass Christmas 2015 because of the movie got stuck in my head. 

I can only say what I see on the Belgian and a bit European market. Here it is drying up. Just like I said for the haunted house. Within 1 week, all bonafide retailers in Belgium will have depleted their stock of our little droid friend. I'm not saying it's officially EOL, just saying that apart from LEGO Shop at Home it gets increasingly hard to find here.

I can only say what I see on the Belgian and a bit European market. Here it is drying up. Just like I said for the haunted house. Within 1 week, all bonafide retailers in Belgium will have depleted their stock of our little droid friend. I'm not saying it's officially EOL, just saying that apart from LEGO Shop at Home it gets increasingly hard to find here.

Good comment! Same here in the (Eastern part of) Holland. Some large retailers don't have it anymore.. 

120 euro for this set is really great; indeed just stock it up.. it doesn't get better.