10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Guest TabbyBoy

FWIW... I've never had anything in an original outer box from LEGO Shop at Home apart from 10x VW Campers from one the first runs.  I'd take a photo and post the seal codes but, the box is well buried toward the back of my lock-up as these are for the VERY long haul - I have 22 in total.  The 4x R2-D2 I have were in larger plain boxes with air bags. My gut is that R2-D2 is going nowhere until well after episode VII is out.  However, nearly everthing ordered in quantity from Asda (UK Walmart) arrives in original purple-taped outer boxes.

Guest TabbyBoy

Just a glitch, I expect 100,000+ more to be made ready for the new movie which R2-D2 is in. I think this set will outlive even that hideously monstrous perpetual grey ball-shaped doll's house. Predicted EOL of late 2019.

I HATE THE DEATH STAR SET SO MUCH !!!!!

The R2D2 is somewhat like the others UCS "portraits" (darth maul, yoda, grevious) and I wouldn't be surprised to see it retired and being replaced by, let's say, C3PO, darth vader or even a lightsaber. I don't know when it will be retired but I don't think it will become a "DS - bis".

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much faith in this set, not because it isn't a nice set..of course it is a very nice SW character and UCS set. but in my opinion this thing will be the second Death Star: Becoming an old dog that just won't die. Plenty of those available here on the shelfs. ToysRus NL now has them for 139,67 euro including free shipping, but I'm not buying them at the moment.

I don't have much faith in this set, not because it isn't a nice set..of course it is a very nice SW character and UCS set. but in my opinion this thing will be the second Death Star: Becoming an old dog that just won't die. Plenty of those available here on the shelfs. ToysRus NL now has them for 139,67 euro including free shipping, but I'm not buying them at the moment.

That's akward because here, it's completely sold out and no new delivery has been sheduled so far as I can see.

That's akward because here, it's completely sold out and no new delivery has been sheduled so far as I can see.

Hmmzz.. that's interesting, It would be great if it disappears just like half of the modulars. Really hope half of the exclusive line will vanish, that was my final prediction on Ed's comments in the TH threat. 

FYI: Crap Star is also for 326 euro available @ ToysRus NL. So tired of this set, luckily I don't have any of these (I know, one day over a lifespan of 10 years I will regret, but for now I don't buy any except when it is lower than 300 euro).

Edited by JM123

I see the RRP is 180

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

Guys, there is a very slim chance this will be a second Death Star! Just as a reminder, people were saying the same thing for the Super Star Destroyer that will never retire etc etc. Do we need this kind of discussion for every single set lego makes? :D

Here in the UK it has vanished from Argos around the country. Even the X-Wing is gone too. Only LEGO has R2D2s available as a direct purchase.

I have 13 and planning to add more.

Guys, there is a very slim chance this will be a second Death Star! Just as a reminder, people were saying the same thing for the Super Star Destroyer that will never retire etc etc. Do we need this kind of discussion for every single set lego makes? :D

Here in the UK it has vanished from Argos around the country. Even the X-Wing is gone too. Only LEGO has R2D2s available as a direct purchase.

I have 13 and planning to add more.

That is why I am surprised at the availability in the Netherlands of R2. 

And just a sidenote. People say it seems so many UCS are disapearing, but also take a look at the ones that are being introduced. Sandcrawler, Tumbler, Slave 1. DA If you would look at it, I'm sure that if you look at it procentually, you would hardly notice a change in the line up of AFOL and TFOL sets.

I don't pay too much attention to Argos selling out of an item, they tend to faze out sets after a year or so and replace with newer products. If you look at the website there are hardly any 2012-2013 Lego sets still being stocked.