10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

I have a few but I think I'll hold off buying more until we start seeing some of the signs. I'm hoping those signs start showing in the US first (as with the SSD) giving us lot in Europe plenty of time to stock up.

Haunted House was gone in Europe first if I recall correct, so don't count to much on it, it varies.

Haunted House was gone in Europe first if I recall correct, so don't count to much on it, it varies.

Are you sure? I think it started to disappear over there first and was sold out on the US LEGO Shop at Home before EU. Likewise the TH.

edit...no wait, I think you're right about the HH.

Edited by tractorboy

Are you sure? I think it started to disappear over there first and was sold out on the US LEGO Shop at Home before EU. Likewise the TH.

edit...no wait, I think you're right about the HH.

I also remember it that way (U.S. first then EU).

For other sets it woks different though, so you cannot be absolutely sure.

UCS R2 is what got me first into UCS collecting, still yet to build it though lol.

Once the first movie from the new trilogy hits theatres, R2 will be well into EOL and I'm predicting, it will be come the new must have UCS set of the future.

Invest now while you still can.

UCS R2 is what got me first into UCS collecting, still yet to build it though lol.

I would recommend cracking that one open sooner rather than later.  Once it goes EOL, you're going to feel the pressure to keep it sealed when the price starts climbing.  This is the very rare set that I bought day one and built it.  It's an awesome display piece.

• Like 1

I love robots and like star wars but I'm on the borderline for this one.  I would say it is either between this and T1 camper for a build/display.  Both sets are iconic and have a wonderful array of details.  

I may invest in new r2d2's for resale though but prefer to buy used for personal use.   I'd love some feedback on which is the most fun build?  My toy display space is limited and I have enough room for either r2d2 or t1 camper along with my modulars (and plans for more) but not both. 

Edited by Marzipan

I love robots and like star wars but I'm on the borderline for this one.  I would say it is either between this and T1 camper for a build/display.  Both sets are iconic and have a wonderful array of details.  

I may invest in new r2d2's for resale though but prefer to buy used for personal use.   I'd love some feedback on which is the most fun build?  My toy display space is limited and I have enough room for either r2d2 or t1 camper along with my modulars (and plans for more) but not both. 

If it is either R2D2 or T1 Camper Van + Modulars I'd go for the Modulars since I can always put some minifigs here and there to alter the scene when I feel like it.

R2D2 still looks awesome though and you can probably put it anywhere! So I'd think twice about it and probably display him somewhere else even though I have limited space ^.^. In my opinion though the modular options wins if you really have to decide, since it is far more practical and fun to be able to "play" with it from time to time and adjust it to your needs (like for christmas, halloween, etc.)

You're hoping to see the R2D2s still in stock all bought by resellers ?

The forum needs a "Unlike This" button.

You mistake my intention.  I was not commenting about who buys them.

I hope R2 D2 is limited in supply and goes to retirement very quickly.

That is what I meant.  Of course then if you do not like that I guess you are upset that TH and HH are going off into retirement bought up mostly by resellers.

Cut me some slack.

If it is either R2D2 or T1 Camper Van + Modulars I'd go for the Modulars since I can always put some minifigs here and there to alter the scene when I feel like it.

R2D2 still looks awesome though and you can probably put it anywhere! So I'd think twice about it and probably display him somewhere else even though I have limited space ^.^. In my opinion though the modular options wins if you really have to decide, since it is far more practical and fun to be able to "play" with it from time to time and adjust it to your needs (like for christmas, halloween, etc.)

Oh I love this idea of modifying modulars for the seasons!  Now I want to make custom stickers for the palace cinema movie posters in photoshop and dangle christmas lights (like the winter village sets) everywhere!  The modulars are definitely getting displayed.  The choice is t1 camper vs. r2d2.  My storage space is limited to my home office shelf space.

Oh I love this idea of modifying modulars for the seasons!  Now I want to make custom stickers for the palace cinema movie posters in photoshop and dangle christmas lights (like the winter village sets) everywhere!  The modulars are definitely getting displayed.  The choice is t1 camper vs. r2d2.  My storage space is limited to my home office shelf space.

Ahhh I see... Both sets really look awesome so it really is a tricky situation ;-) If you or your friends/family/whoevers sees it is into Star Wars, than the answer would be R2D2. On the other hand there are people who really like their cars ^.^

Probably I would display R2D2 and every now and then arrange some Star Wars minifigures around it (or on it...) etc. Guess he gives you more opportunities to change small details. (See http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/11992-r2d2-moc-adding-some-colours/?hl=r2d2 )

I guess you could also make some adjustments for this seasonal thingy ;-) (like lights around it for christmas for example)

Edited by Locutus001
  • Like 1

If you like them both, I suggest consider the display space itself. R2 is a fairly tall and "thick" model compared to the T1 so it displays well on a shelf at eye level or above and isn't all that interesting from the sides so it doesn't need "space" on the sides. The T1 looks more impressive at eye level or just below and in a space where you can see at least some combination of front/side.

And most importantly, the T1 is easier to dust. ;)

If you like them both, I suggest consider the display space itself. R2 is a fairly tall and "thick" model compared to the T1 so it displays well on a shelf at eye level or above and isn't all that interesting from the sides so it doesn't need "space" on the sides. The T1 looks more impressive at eye level or just below and in a space where you can see at least some combination of front/side.

Oh no... the archenemy of every good collector: The Dustmonster!

post-41741-0-72841800-1415222367.jpg

• Like 3

I don't see R2D2 gone this year. 

Stocks are plenty. And more coming end of Nov.

regards.

I mean this is only speculation but I guess that most here do not think that R2D2 will leave us soon, since the next movie is just about to get out.

People at LEGO are not stupid and I'm pretty sure that the numbers sold for R2D2 are favorable. Not much to change when it comes to the design either.

Also he will probably star in the movies AND he already did have one cameo in SW Rebels (probably there will be more).

This is a good consideration.  My display space is a bit higher than eye level.  oh yes, dusting...always an issue!