10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

This is helping to get me through a Monday morning.  I literally just finished writing some reports that are similar to TPS reports.

Also, mind if I ask how much R2 was?  I've been looking to score a couple more.  With another UCS set on the horizon, doesn't that put R2 next in line to be retired (obviously ignoring the DS and SSD)?

Office Space is definitely in my Top 5 of funny movies, and I don't even sit at a desk all day, but I can somewhat relate with my current job as I push way more paper than I used to. 

As for R2, I would expect him to be around for some time.  It's an iconic character that is rather afforadable compared to other "UCS".  I will defiinitely pick up more of them.

• 4 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Substitute years for decades!

Much too early I think however, I do have 2 just in case (1 at double VIP last year and 1 at 20% off from Amazon.fr) off but, will not get more within the next 5 years until the price drops to my "trigger-price" of 33% off or less unless EOL is imminent.  Why that long I hear you ask?  That's because R2-D2 is the most iconic character that can be recreated accurately with bricks and Lego must realise this hence, I suspect VERY long production and supply run.  If any set was to outlive the Life Star, this would be it.

I wish I would have bought 10 last year when Amazon had them for $139.95 for 90 days or so.  I only bought 2 and still only have 2.  I see this set skyrocketing after EOL.  R2-D2 is the epitome and poster child of the Star Wars universe.  I also hear this is a fantastic build with many many cool features.  I have to get one for myself before it's not produced anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

So,

I won a bid last night for 10225 for $99, $15 shipping!  Brand new in Box

Seller has 2 more listed, most current @ 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291016680554?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I sent message to seller to send me a pic of the actual item/box (what was listed was generic R2D2)

this was response:

Dear mrsmavrik,

Yes, your item is http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Star-Wars-R2-D2-Figure/20552249
It's the new and full box item.
Thanks

- tjahn2110

I need to make payment, should I be concerned...been reading a lot about Ebay tactics on BP.
txs 

I've seen one guy with 0 feedback auctioning 10+sets Tower Bridge some time in summer. The description of his location is somewhere in Europe. I was bidding for fun with some price lower than $100 but I got history of all those auctions. One day I was curious enough and went back to check. That guy's feedback is still 0 though his account did not seem to get kicked at all. I wondered what that meant. All the buyers did not pay or the cases are still under investigation?

The chance is 100% that this is a dropscam. Nobody can sell this set at that price. I know people will jump in and say how it's just a guy who got three for his birthday or he found them on the side of the road and he's just looking to unload them but that is really going to be the very rare case. There's a reason when he shows you what you're going to get he provides a Walmart link.

• Like 2

The chance is 100% that this is a dropscam. Nobody can sell this set at that price. I know people will jump in and say how it's just a guy who got three for his birthday or he found them on the side of the road and he's just looking to unload them but that is really going to be the very rare case. There's a reason when he shows you what you're going to get he provides a Walmart link.

Very true. Most of the people I have encountered doing this (because i will message a lot of them for fun) use broken english (I assume they are in other countries with a US account) and are very lazy. Most of them will send you a link straight to a website, and many of them will even tell you it is dropshipped.

Actually a few of them (when I was just figuring out drop sihpping scams) tried to tell me that they bought it using "rewards" or when opening credit cards. One even sent me a picture of the credit card they used - which I noticed was a woman's card after the person had already said they were a man and sent me a full name.

And add the stock photo and lower than 200 feedback, and its not good.

Just kindly send them a message to cancel - and you will eventually come across a good R2D2 deal hopefully!

Thanks for the feedback...

So, as Iam a newbie and learning a lot about navigating Ebay via BP, the product is real that is being sold, but is probably stolen, stolen cc to purchase, etc.?

I will be canceling either way...

Good call! Someone, somewhere is in all likelihood being charged for that item, and they have no idea why. Mos would know, and he does. No one can sell a set like this for that price, much less 3 of them. 1 I`d say is a possibility, but definitely not 3. Goes back to that saying of "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

• 2 months later...

Looks like LEGO Shop at Home is the only place offering 10225 for retail... $179.99.

Target has gone over $229 and it's absent from Wal-Mart.

Time to add more...

EOL?  Any predictions?

:thumbsup:

It is a popular set...perhaps the holidays depleted a lot of retailers.  It will be interesting to see if Target and/or other places get these back in stock.  If they don't in another few weeks I think EOL starts to become a nearer possibility.

Interesting. Figured this guy had at least another year to go, but who knows. Guess I`d best order one to build sooner rather than later  :thumbsup:

Seriously anyone considering to invest in this anymore, I`d really suggest waiting until March/April for x2 VIP points. You get 10% back which is the best deal out there now, and I doubt it will be gone in that timeframe. There`s just no way it can be done so soon I`m thinking. Why would they retire it, they have nothing to replace it with right now, not that they have to, but it just doesn`t fit. The signs may be there, but my bet is they`ll come back in stock or simply remain on Lego.com/ca for a while longer still. Thanks for the heads up!  

Interesting. Figured this guy had at least another year to go, but who knows. Guess I`d best order one to build sooner rather than later  :thumbsup:

Seriously anyone considering to invest in this anymore, I`d really suggest waiting until March/April for x2 VIP points. You get 10% back which is the best deal out there now, and I doubt it will be gone in that timeframe. There`s just no way it can be done so soon I`m thinking. Why would they retire it, they have nothing to replace it with right now, not that they have to, but it just doesn`t fit. The signs may be there, but my bet is they`ll come back in stock or simply remain on Lego.com/ca for a while longer still. Thanks for the heads up!  

Going to have to save those VIP opportunities for other sets.

I have a few R2-D2s from Lego already... 

I might have to acquire them indirectly...  :twitch:

Target has it, toysrus has it.....granted higher than msrp, but that's nothing new.  Amazon just had it in stock not long ago  It's only been out for 1.5 years.......I would guess it would not be retired until early 2015 at the earliest.

I understand the supply and demand thing (during and after the holidays)...

But the strange thing is that Amazon and TRU charged way above retail for the longest time while Target didn't.

Target is now asking for $229.99 which seems out of character...

• Like 1