Thread of Packaging Excellence

Received my 11% off RRP standard packaging and marked as a gift Rebel Blockade Runner from Amazon tonight. The shipping box was fine but the set box was trashed. Both ends taped over like crazy and to top if off, the set information on the front of the box was cut out. So weird! Needless to say, this one's going back. Deciding if I want to take a chance on a replacement or not. 

Looks like a return, right? I can't believe the packer thought this would be ok as a gift. 

block1.jpg

block2.jpg

block3.jpg

block4.jpg

Edited by oneknightr
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

28 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Go figure! By the way, did you mark yours as a gift? Normally, that helps with me getting the set in decent condition, but it didn't work this time.

I've never marked "gift" for any purchases and therefore don't think it really matters.  And even though there are different shipping options for some sets (frustration vs whatever) I always just choose the cheapest no matter what and have not had an issue.  There's a lot of people on here with "buying strategies" but since I prescribe to none I'm not a believer that any ultimately make a difference.  They're just such a big company with so many employees that we're going to receive banged up sets sometimes.

3 hours ago, Banjoman said:

Curious as to your thoughts....just got a bunch of Hogwarts Express from Amazon, most are unsealed or the tape at least is unstuck.  Everything inside is perfect, box good for the most part, the tape is just crap.  Worth a return?

I would return the set that @oneknightr received for sure but most of the time I don't return sets.  If you want to maintain a buying relationship with Amazon, or any company for that matter, you can't behave like a reseller.  Return enough items and they can choose not to do business with you.  Most consumers are not concerned about the retail packaging -- especially current in-production items.  Being a QFLL is risky for that matter.  Long term you will still be able to sell it and cover your costs/make some money.  That's why many will say on here that its a volume game.  Because you have to be able to absorb the losses.

Edited by gmpirate
  • Like 1

I lucked out with my last order from Best Buy from the recent sale. They sent the sets in a box and ones with stickers they left on as opposed to ripping them off like others have had. It is still a gamble with them on both accounts. I lower my expectations with using them for personal builds if needed. 

Best Buy.jpg

6 hours ago, BaconBits said:

I lucked out with my last order from Best Buy from the recent sale. They sent the sets in a box and ones with stickers they left on as opposed to ripping them off like others have had. It is still a gamble with them on both accounts. I lower my expectations with using them for personal builds if needed. 

Best Buy.jpg

the sticker on the left is easy to peel. The one on the right tho is a bit difficult and will leave residual on the box. I, personally, never had good luck with that one.

42 minutes ago, SLL said:

the sticker on the left is easy to peel. The one on the right tho is a bit difficult and will leave residual on the box. I, personally, never had good luck with that one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YCLJK46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3dWrFbJVANRQ4

Something like this will really make your life easier. Heat gun. 

4 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

just picked up 

10 x 10263 from amazon germany, every single 1 damaged in 1 way or another. everything i buy at the minute, something is wrong.

2 minds to return them.

Don't they ship other EU amazon orders to UK from UK warehouses anyway? Usually amazon packing is OK as they always send in boxes (for me anyway).

I recently got a damaged whomping willow from amazon that was water damaged.

I never bother with returning damaged boxes, as in my experience everything sells on ebay as long as you take pictures of all 6 sides of box and mark as damaged etc. But this was the first time I complained to amazon, as kindof messed up instructions. got a full refund plus got to keep the set.

I wouldn't make it a habit of returning stuff to amazon as there are stories of people getting banned for abusing return option.

17 hours ago, Voltron said:

Don't they ship other EU amazon orders to UK from UK warehouses anyway? Usually amazon packing is OK as they always send in boxes (for me anyway).

I recently got a damaged whomping willow from amazon that was water damaged.

I never bother with returning damaged boxes, as in my experience everything sells on ebay as long as you take pictures of all 6 sides of box and mark as damaged etc. But this was the first time I complained to amazon, as kindof messed up instructions. got a full refund plus got to keep the set.

I wouldn't make it a habit of returning stuff to amazon as there are stories of people getting banned for abusing return option.

damage boxes don't really bother me to a certain extent, but all these have paper loss which pisses me off. stickers removed all over them.

54 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Rough terrain crane from iwoot showed up pancaked. It was in a cardboard box but it didn't seem to help. The lego box itself is pretty flimsy for such a heavy set. Don't expect nice boxes from iwoot on this one. Wish they came in a nice shipping carton like the lambo.

Did you pay the $199, $219, or current $229 "sale" price?

Hut Group "sale" prices 🙄

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Perfect fit LEGO box within an outer Amazon box

Thank-you "Hassle-free" thank-you "Gift option" 

I got the UFO Carousel in one today. Never saw such a small set in the Lego shipper. They really should make this standard for all sets. Would have saved my crane.

IMG_9595.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Razorcrest from Amazon

Perfect fit LEGO box within an outer Amazon box

Thank-you "Hassle-free" thank-you "Gift option" 

My Razor Crest from Amazon came in the shipper within a box too. I like it.

Marking the gift option on Amazon doesn't always work. Look a few posts up at the Tantive I got. Box was trashed and they used packing tape to stick the gift receipts on it. *facepalm*  I think it really comes down to who the packer fulfilling your order is.

shipper.jpg

Edited by oneknightr