Thread of Packaging Excellence

8 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

caa84ea089794488e4c79266efbb6c65.jpg

6 base plates from Target.

caa84ea089794488e4c79266efbb6c65.jpg

6 base plates from Target.

I've found that Target has 3 sizes of boxes at the disposal of their shipping department: Funko Pop size, sarcophagus size, and this one in the photo, which is for everything in between. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gonkalin said:

I have about 6 of the porsches. I sold 2 of them for $500 ea. Buy in was $250. But I definitely think this will go higher. As they release more super cars (Bugatti/Lambo) people will collect them and want them all. I think Porsche could easily be $800+ in a couple years. And I think Bugatti will do similar. So I'm stocking up on the Bugattis now. Just bought 2 more yesterday with the Zavvi sale. 

For me the only issue with the bugatti is that the local seller with the largest discount is selling stocks from Christmas last year so the boxes tend to have some shelf wear. I bought 6 recently and only 1 was perfect, 4 had minor wear and one had a bumped corner. 

I've had better luck with Amazon UK where they shipped it togethet with the original lego carton. This was the case with the porsche I bought off amazon UK also. There was even one instance where a bugatti was in a lego carton and bubble wrapped before being put into an Amazon shipping carton. 

Having said that I do agree that with the continued releases of supercars there will be more completists so hang on to your porsches.... 

Got my DHL package from Zavvi with my 42082 Technic Crane in it. My heart sunk when I saw the "DHL REPACKED" yellow tape on half of one side. Fearing the worst, I opened the box and much to my surprise, there was only a very minor dent on one corner. The set is HUGE and heavy, so I am thoroughly surprised and happy.

Inside the box, you can see why it was repacked and taped up. (Thankfully) Another good shipment from Zavvi!

Crane1.jpg

Crane2.jpg

Crane3.jpg

On 7/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, oneknightr said:

Got my DHL package from Zavvi with my 42082 Technic Crane in it. My heart sunk when I saw the "DHL REPACKED" yellow tape on half of one side. Fearing the worst, I opened the box and much to my surprise, there was only a very minor dent on one corner. The set is HUGE and heavy, so I am thoroughly surprised and happy.

Inside the box, you can see why it was repacked and taped up. (Thankfully) Another good shipment from Zavvi!

Crane1.jpg

Crane2.jpg

Crane3.jpg

Got my Zavvi order today of the Land Rover. This is easily the worst packaging I have ever received...

IMG_3285.JPG

IMG_3286.JPG

• Sad 4

Got my Zavvi order today of the Land Rover. This is easily the worst packaging I have ever received...
IMG_3285.thumb.JPG.af8dabf8725575fcff4d8d63d6d65269.JPG
IMG_3286.thumb.JPG.c1f9db4df92a0078e0f8e80f134c46a4.JPG

Very likely customs intercepted the inbound package because of the yellow sticker DHL stuck on it. Repackaged and sent to you that way. Good luck contacting Zavvi’s customer service. I asked them to cancel my pirate ship . . . 9 days ago without a response.

3 hours ago, spener90 said:

IMG_3285.JPG

IMG_3286.JPG

I used to get those years ago from Amazon Europe.  I believe the it was 42009 Mobile Crane MK II.  One shipment came in a trash bag with 3 or 4 sets inside.

On 7/29/2020 at 10:21 PM, spener90 said:

Welcome to the club. Did your have water damage too?

There is no evidence of water damage. Zavvi offered  a 15% partial refund in lieu of a return. I've only once returned a set (Amazon) due to damage. I feel Zavvi is taking a big risk (of damage) shipping from UK. I had no idea this is their business model until I received my order.

I had a few things shipped to my in-laws last month and I'm back here for another visit. First this stunningly well packed box with a couple shrimp shacks and Expecto Patronums. Double corrugated! outer box and a couple nice boxes inside as filler. Then of course the Crocodile Locomotive arrived dinged up, shipped in one of those custom folded boxes that are usually quite good. I guess I'll just build it, I did grab my 9V train stuff while I was here after all.

IMG_20200801_173021.jpg

IMG_20200805_110623.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, thebrickdad said:

A hairdryer is the classic tried and tested method, and followed by a little 'Sticky Stuff Remover' if there is any glue residue. 

this is what worked, one of the boxes i didn't keep hot enough and it ripped and left residue, so that will be my build set.

31 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

This makes me optimistic my Hagrid sets will at least show up in a box.  Stickers aren't really an issue with a dryer and Goo Gone as mentioned. 

mine were clearly taken off the shelf from a local store and shipped to me.  So very ymmv as far as that goes.

5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Best Buy shipped in a box and they were nice enough to remove the stickers before shipping.

87F5EB11-5951-418B-A8B4-C8BB9A9DE5BB.jpeg

I'm becoming more and more pleased that in my case they chose to leave the stickers on, however I still have several more packages coming.