Thread of Packaging Excellence

This the first time I have seen an order packed this way from a seller on BrickLink and the parts are sealed in compartments using what I think it is a Press N’ Seal.  I am impressed!
IMG_20200511_173607798.thumb.jpg.4074ca8be2b4b528d86991c93e33506f.jpg
IMG_20200511_173809854.thumb.jpg.04d06a5a0846bd8828d0fab93d7339f9.jpg

I’ve seen that a couple of times. Maybe it’s from the same seller?

Either way, that really is a packing excellence (unlike most other examples in this thread). I appreciate it also and think it’s pretty cool.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LegoWalker4 said:

This the first time I have seen an order packed this way from a seller on BrickLink and the parts are sealed in compartments using what I think it is a Press N’ Seal.  I am impressed!

I just received a package like that yesterday via Bricklink.  I too was impressed.  Definitely takes packing to a whole new level.

2 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I just received a package like that yesterday via Bricklink.  I too was impressed.  Definitely takes packing to a whole new level.

I know of one guy I have purchased from who does that every time. He uses the bags from the sets to make the new, sealed bags. Good way to cut down on material waste. 

• 4 weeks later...

My first order from Zavvi came in a standard box (London Bus). Got my second order from them today. Interesting style box. There are small openings on each side where you can see the set. After opening it, the box looks to be produced specifically for the set or similar-sized sets. The condition of the set inside was great. I'm starting to take a liking to Zavvi. 

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

6 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

My first order from Zavvi came in a standard box (London Bus). Got my second order from them today. Interesting style box. There are small openings on each side where you can see the set. After opening it, the box looks to be produced specifically for the set or similar-sized sets. The condition of the set inside was great. I'm starting to take a liking to Zavvi. 

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

Same here. The London bus came in pretty good condition in a normal (larger than needed to be) box. My 31313 mindstorms came in a perfectly sized box, as have others. I'm sure it cuts down on cost for them but also provides a ready to go box for me.

One from Target and one from Amazon.  Kept the Target one to do with the kids.  Amazon let me keep the detergent but wanted the LEGO set back!

I wish I had taken a picture of another set from Amazon.  It came with a huge ripped off rectangle on the front of the box.  Clearly a returned set that had a previous shipping label on the front that was traced with a razor blade and then peeled the artwork off the box with it -- leaving some thin bare cardboard.  When I opened it, I thought I must have ordered it from Amazon Warehouse by mistake.  Nope!

"Back you go to waits for a woman of less-descriminatin' tastes"

IMG_4752.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It's crazy to me hearing these horror stories from Target shipping. They have always been one of the better ones for me, sure their boxes have been way too big for sets at times, but I have had that issue with Amazon before as well.

This past December I ordered 3 of the same set from Target, but they only sent two. I did a claim on their app stating that one was missing and they resent my entire order so I ended up with 5.

Maybe I need to knock on some wood now.

• Haha 1

Well, got four Diner's today from Amazon.  All bare shipped covered in stickers -- with the coronastickers as well so it looks like a kids sticker book.   All shipped from Arizona to California via UPS.  Beat to heck and pancaked.  One even looks like someone used shipping tape to seal the end back up.

I guess that's why Amazon and Target doesn't sell cars.  They'd put them in a gigantic bubble mailer and stack them three high in a semitruck and deliver them upside down on your driveway.  Then you'd open it up and find the odometer had 15000 miles on it, an amazon warehouse deal sticker on the license plate, and a strong smell of air freshener even though you bought it as "new".  And when you call up customer service to complain, they offer you 20% off because that model is now out of stock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not lego, but Amazon did ship me a small box of light bulbs in a large bag, no bubble, no padding. The packaging of the light bulbs is just a flimsy box, which promptly burst open. One of the four light bulbs was outside its packaging and just free flowing inside the bag when I received it. Miraculously none broke.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, locidm said:

Not lego, but Amazon did ship me a small box of light bulbs in a large bag, no bubble, no padding. The packaging of the light bulbs is just a flimsy box, which promptly burst open. One of the four light bulbs was outside its packaging and just free flowing inside the bag when I received it. Miraculously none broke.

I assume LED bulbs. If so then its because the globes are made of plastic and not glass. 

Ordered a HP Train and six baseplates from Target.  The baseplates were separated from the train right away.  The train arrived today - in the largest Target box I have ever seen.  The bubble mailers didn't even fill the box.  At least the set was in mint condition and amazingly, no stickers.

20200618 Target Order - HUGE box.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mathew said:

I assume LED bulbs. If so then its because the globes are made of plastic and not glass. 

I'm surprised how many LED bulbs use glass envelopes.  I know because I've received broken ones in the mail.  Some LED bulbs still get fairly hot and maybe its cheaper to use the heat-tolerant glass than a clear plastic that can withstand the higher temperatures with discoloration. 

Home Depot was selling what I think was a Cree model years ago that was a glass envelope dipped in silicone to give it a frosted look -- both high temperature tolerant versus frosted plastic.  Ridiculously short life span though.

11 hours ago, TheBrickClique said:

I'm surprised how many LED bulbs use glass envelopes.  I know because I've received broken ones in the mail.  Some LED bulbs still get fairly hot and maybe its cheaper to use the heat-tolerant glass than a clear plastic that can withstand the higher temperatures with discoloration. 

Home Depot was selling what I think was a Cree model years ago that was a glass envelope dipped in silicone to give it a frosted look -- both high temperature tolerant versus frosted plastic.  Ridiculously short life span though.

I only use filament LED bulbs now which are glass bulbs filled with gases to help dissipate heat from the led filaments.

Back to topic, I've had good luck with packaging lately. Target sent me two Hogwarts Express in a big ole box with nothing else in it, nothing but a little scraping on the front of one, a bit of shelf wear. A miracle! We'll see how the Upside Down looks when it arrives today *fingers crossed*

2 hours ago, keymomachine said:

Back to topic, I've had good luck with packaging lately. Target sent me two Hogwarts Express in a big ole box with nothing else in it, nothing but a little scraping on the front of one, a bit of shelf wear. A miracle!

I just received two more the exact same way - large box, nothing else in it.  They were in good shape.  No stickers on either of them.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:20 PM, TheBrickClique said:

Well, got four Diner's today from Amazon.  All bare shipped covered in stickers -- with the coronastickers as well so it looks like a kids sticker book.   All shipped from Arizona to California via UPS.  Beat to heck and pancaked.  One even looks like someone used shipping tape to seal the end back up.

I guess that's why Amazon and Target doesn't sell cars.  They'd put them in a gigantic bubble mailer and stack them three high in a semitruck and deliver them upside down on your driveway.  Then you'd open it up and find the odometer had 15000 miles on it, an amazon warehouse deal sticker on the license plate, and a strong smell of air freshener even though you bought it as "new".  And when you call up customer service to complain, they offer you 20% off because that model is now out of stock.

I took pictures today :(  A total of 8 diners came this way over a couple of days.  On the same day, Amazon also delivered two fresh in a box.  Grrr...

I might try to break even with these on ebay versus adding to my return tally.  It'll be a good experiment to see if box condition really doesn't matter :)

IMG_4780.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

I received a Modular Diner from LEGO today in a box that was nearly perfect for it.  Unfortunately, they also packed a Hot Rod on top of it.  Seriously, the two sets don't even fit in the space they forced it into.  Thankfully the Hot Rod box took the brunt of the difference but the front of the Diner has a Hot Rod sized indentation.

The really annoying part is  I received a Hogwarts Great Hall (all by itself) in a much larger box at the exact same time.  If I didn't know better, I would assume LEGO had the two shipments side-by-side and just switched boxes between them.  *sigh* 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

I received a Modular Diner from LEGO today in a box that was nearly perfect for it.  Unfortunately, they also packed a Hot Rod on top of it.  Seriously, the two sets don't even fit in the space they forced it into.  Thankfully the Hot Rod box took the brunt of the difference but the front of the Diner has a Hot Rod sized indentation.

The really annoying part is  I received a Hogwarts Great Hall (all by itself) in a much larger box at the exact same time.  If I didn't know better, I would assume LEGO had the two shipments side-by-side and just switched boxes between them.  *sigh* 

I got my treehouse today. Probably the same box size, but they used the Hot Rod as one of the "Air pillows" on the side. Treehouse box is alright, im building it anyways, but the Hot Rod is destroyed.

On 6/20/2020 at 10:10 AM, keymomachine said:

We'll see how the Upside Down looks when it arrives today *fingers crossed*

Target shipped mine diagonally in a big ole box (I had selected it was a gift), box had a few air pillows, but probably half as many as would make a difference. Shipping Box didn't fare well, but the Upside Down is in good shape apart from the fact that EVERY seal sticker has popped, probably due to stress on them and the hot trucks. 

• Like 1