Thread of Packaging Excellence

30 minutes ago, brad4815 said:

Just got an IR from Amazon. Usual fare, cardboard box with brown paper stuffing the remaining space. The top was a bit smooshed, which was okay, but I noticed the flap was held down with two strips of clear tape. I removed the tape and realized it as there because the seals had come undone or been opened already. As far as I can tell everything is included though. What's my best bet here? Complain to Amazon? I don't really want just a refund. I wouldn't mind keeping it for myself or even trying to part it out if it's worth it.

complain to amazon; they would probably refund part of the purchase price.  they may be able to replace it as well.  I received a damaged item from them before and they didn't have it in stock, so they replaced it with a FBA item.

33 minutes ago, brad4815 said:

Just got an IR from Amazon. Usual fare, cardboard box with brown paper stuffing the remaining space. The top was a bit smooshed, which was okay, but I noticed the flap was held down with two strips of clear tape. I removed the tape and realized it as there because the seals had come undone or been opened already. As far as I can tell everything is included though. What's my best bet here? Complain to Amazon? I don't really want just a refund. I wouldn't mind keeping it for myself or even trying to part it out if it's worth it.

Was the item "Fullfilled by amazon"? I'd let them know esp since they are in stock right now.

54 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Was the item "Fullfilled by amazon"? I'd let them know esp since they are in stock right now.

It was direct from Amazon. I contacted customer service and they offered a replacement, refund or 10% back. I told him I didn't think it was still in stock and he checked and said they actually wouldn't be able to replace it. So I complained a little more saying it should've been sold as a Warehouse deal because it was clearly opened. They agreed to give me 30% back. But I'm still wary to sell it. I weighed it and it came out as 0.3 ounces lighter than another sealed 75919. Is this normal?

10 minutes ago, brad4815 said:

It was direct from Amazon. I contacted customer service and they offered a replacement, refund or 10% back. I told him I didn't think it was still in stock and he checked and said they actually wouldn't be able to replace it. So I complained a little more saying it should've been sold as a Warehouse deal because it was clearly opened. They agreed to give me 30% back. But I'm still wary to sell it. I weighed it and it came out as 0.3 ounces lighter than another sealed 75919. Is this normal?

Just open the box to verify content and sell the set without box.

54 minutes ago, pstebbing said: Was the item "Fullfilled by amazon"? I'd let them know esp since they are in stock right now.

Just do a quick youtube search and you'll find an unboxing and you can verify the bags and contents accordingly

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Yup Walmart's killing me with them too. Target's the latest, I believe...

Yes, all of mine arrived today with them.  You can also tell where they are throwing the sets on shelves in the warehouse.  The center of the boxes are either cracked completely open like an egg, or scraped to the point the artwork is starting to come off.  Nice job folks!

It must have blended in with the blue on the packaging and the warehouse worker couldn't find it, if he/she even bothered to look for it.

I did have a half empty packet of soy sauce plastered to the side of my UPS package one time.  Fortunately the contents didn't get on the inside, but I think my driver had lunch on the go and used my box as a table.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

It must have blended in with the blue on the packaging and the warehouse worker couldn't find it, if he/she even bothered to look for it.

I did have a half empty packet of soy sauce plastered to the side of my UPS package one time.  Fortunately the contents didn't get on the inside, but I think my driver had lunch on the go and used my box as a table.

Yes, the gum was very Classic Batman blue.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, pcaster said:

Boxes caved in from overstuffing with air pillows

This drives me nuts with Shop at Home.  At least with no air pillows there's a chance the boxes will arrive in good shape.  This method never gives them a chance.

Edited by zskid00

My shipment of TWO Birds sets came in from TRU..... The box was something like 24 X 16 X 16. No packaging material. It was it dwarfed the Tumbler box from LEGO Shop at Home sitting next to it

20151208_120800.jpg

Edited by MarxMarvelous

30 minutes ago, longshot said:

Any idea how much I should assume shipping the lego large classic ideas (walmart) 10697 would be? Its a rather odd shaped box. Still not sure what Im going to use to send it.

Thanx

Office Depot had some boxes that fit it pretty snug, 16x12x12 if I remember correctly.  Used the buy 2 get 1 free promotion, but I'm sure there are ways to get that size box at cheaper prices.  Sold via ebay, shipped Fed Ex Smart Post, averaged about $10 per for shipping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaxman said:

Office Depot had some boxes that fit it pretty snug, 16x12x12 if I remember correctly.  Used the buy 2 get 1 free promotion, but I'm sure there are ways to get that size box at cheaper prices.  Sold via ebay, shipped Fed Ex Smart Post, averaged about $10 per for shipping.

Thanx..........What were you selling them for? Seems like they are around 74.99 with free shipping. That only leaves a bout $23 after fees shipping etc.

1 hour ago, longshot said:

Thanx..........What were you selling them for? Seems like they are around 74.99 with free shipping. That only leaves a bout $23 after fees shipping etc.

That's about right.  I was actually only able to get around $73 for them.  But I wanted to turn them over to move on to other investments (should have bought some more 10697 to fund a DS!)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MarxMarvelous said:

My shipment of TWO Birds sets came in from TRU..... The box was something like 24 X 16 X 16. No packaging material. It was it dwarfed the Tumbler box from LEGO Shop at Home sitting next to it

20151208_120800.jpg

haha - my recent TRU orders came that way too. medium sized sets packed in a refrigerator box. happens to me sometimes too when I'm shipping sets - "I'm out of appropriately sized boxes.....make a run to the supply store or ship this in a comically over-sized box? Over-sized box it is."

• Like 1