Thread of Packaging Excellence

At first I though the wife had ordered a picture from Amazon because this box seemed way too big for what I was expecting. but it ended up being the Ewok Village I got from the Warehouse.  Is this the normal shipping method for the EV, I know several received them in bags in the past, so I guess this is better, but it's not what I was expecting.  I will say that this size of box is underwhelming for $250 retail.

IMG_20150715_212214.jpg

IMG_20150715_212236.jpg

IMG_20150715_212326.jpg

At first I though the wife had ordered a picture from Amazon because this box seemed way too big for what I was expecting. but it ended up being the Ewok Village I got from the Warehouse.  Is this the normal shipping method for the EV, I know several received them in bags in the past, so I guess this is better, but it's not what I was expecting.  I will say that this size of box is underwhelming for $250 retail.

IMG_20150715_212214.jpg

IMG_20150715_212236.jpg

IMG_20150715_212326.jpg

I've received sets in those boxes before. They were in good condition from what I recall.

Amazon is too efficient with its shipping.  On Prime day I ordered 24 cans of Izze for $9. A couple hours later I was shopping around to use the $20 off $100 with my Amazon Rewards card.  One item in that order was the shuttle tydirium.  Well they combined them into one shipment and when I opened the box, here is what I found!  Nice indentation on the front of the box. Couldn't they have at least put the cans on the bottom?

image.jpg

Edited by Jondog21

Amazon is too efficient with its shipping.  On Prime day I ordered 24 cans of Izze for $9. A couple hours later I was shopping around to use the $20 off $100 with my Amazon Rewards card.  One item in that order was the shuttle tydirium.  Well they combined them into one shipment and when I opened the box, here is what I found!  Nice indentation on the front of the box. Couldn't they have at least put the cans on the bottom?

image.jpg

sucks ... Unlike target, Amazon will always try to combine orders 

Oh God, I hope my EV doesn't show up like that.  My last EV from Amazon came in an appropriate box, but that's a frightening picture. 

I received 2 PS and 2 ToO from Amazon yesterday combined into a large box.  1 PS and 1 ToO are in pretty good condition.  The bad ones both have the seals popped open and significant crush damage with the PS looking so bad that I'm thinking of returning it even though they offered a 20% discount.

I received 2 PS from Target in a massive box with a few packing bubbles - needless to say both boxes are crushed horribly and the seal busted open even though the outer box doesn't look bad.  It's sad - this is my fifth online order from Target and I was hoping that I would have gotten at least one order in decent condition.  I'll probably get banned for returns but I wouldn't accept this even with 20% off.

I received a TB from LEGO Shop at Home and I'm surprised FedEx left this at my door - 1 seal bust open, box has 5 creases and crushed 1 inch on the bottom right corner.  It's not even near Xmas - what's wrong with these shipping companies!?!  Now I get to call LEGO Shop at Home and get to find out what their exchange policy is like.  I didn't complain when the free space vehicle defaced the side of my SOH (they couldn't even put the the invoice between the poly and the SOH) but this is disappointing.

So frustrating. Thankfully I'm not touching DS - I can imagine the UPS guy throwing it over a wall like we see in videos.

Am I expecting too much?

I've received sets in those boxes before. They were in good condition from what I recall.

I imagine most of the time it probably works.  Since this was a Warehouse Deal it's tough to say how much damage was existing and how much, if any, occurred during shipping.  I was most surprised they didn't throw the obligatory piece of kraft paper in the box.

I received 2 PS and 2 ToO from Amazon yesterday combined into a large box.  1 PS and 1 ToO are in pretty good condition.  The bad ones both have the seals popped open and significant crush damage with the PS looking so bad that I'm thinking of returning it even though they offered a 20% discount.

I received 2 PS from Target in a massive box with a few packing bubbles - needless to say both boxes are crushed horribly and the seal busted open even though the outer box doesn't look bad.  It's sad - this is my fifth online order from Target and I was hoping that I would have gotten at least one order in decent condition.  I'll probably get banned for returns but I wouldn't accept this even with 20% off.

I received a TB from LEGO Shop at Home and I'm surprised FedEx left this at my door - 1 seal bust open, box has 5 creases and crushed 1 inch on the bottom right corner.  It's not even near Xmas - what's wrong with these shipping companies!?!  Now I get to call LEGO Shop at Home and get to find out what their exchange policy is like.  I didn't complain when the free space vehicle defaced the side of my SOH (they couldn't even put the the invoice between the poly and the SOH) but this is disappointing.

So frustrating. Thankfully I'm not touching DS - I can imagine the UPS guy throwing it over a wall like we see in videos.

Am I expecting too much?

When having sets shipped you have to take the good with the bad.  You'll have good runs and bad runs of set condition. 

My PS arrived from Amazon today the shipping box has a big gaping hole and the packaging tape ripped. Cautiously optimistic hoping that the set would be fine only to be greeted with a dented and opened set with the seals already dislodged.

I had a Slave 1 arrive from Amazon today in much much worse shape than this.  It's in the return pile.

Edited by exciter1

I had a Slave 1 arrive from Amazon today in much much worse shape than this.  It's in the return pile.

Everything I've gotten from Amazon in the last 2 weeks has the same issue - paper wrap on the top of a large box to keep the Lego box from moving in the vertical plane but no padding whatsoever on the sides and all four corners get crushed and usually at least 2-5 large creases if not outright seals busting.  I feel bad wasting resources shipping things back to them and even went into depth emailing them and talking on the phone but it seems they don't care or change is slow.

My PS was actually so badly damaged a Lego brick had poked through one of the bags and lodged into the PS box.  I reported this to UPS distribution which has a facility in my city.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got an alert email yesterday morning from Amazon saying my EV would be delayed due to an issue with the carrier. I knew right away it would not arrive in good condition. Today I received it and I was right. The shipping box was crushed in on both sides but not too bad, I had hope. Opened it up and all 3 seals on one side were popped and the box had a nice crush/bend in it. Will Amazon give me a partial refund if it's complete and I want to keep it? Or should I just send it back..

I got an alert email yesterday morning from Amazon saying my EV would be delayed due to an issue with the carrier. I knew right away it would not arrive in good condition. Today I received it and I was right. The shipping box was crushed in on both sides but not too bad, I had hope. Opened it up and all 3 seals on one side were popped and the box had a nice crush/bend in it. Will Amazon give me a partial refund if it's complete and I want to keep it? Or should I just send it back..

You can chat with them and ask them, most of the time they'll knock off 10-20% if you want to keep the item.

Just when Kmart does the right thing and packs your item in a sturdy carton, then UPS takes over.  I called UPS on this one.  I hope they allow me to keep it with a partial refund... will they do that?  I'd like to build it :)

20150805_162815.jpg

Jinkies!!! And no neither company will give you a partial refund, Kmart will tell you to return it and ups will expect you to hand it over if you file an insurance claim 

Actually I caught the driver as he was delivering it (no, not the same driver you know stebbing).  I said, "Hey... what's up with that box?" He said, yes, it was clearly damaged, and that he had already noted it in his tablet device... he showed me... next to the tracking number it said "DAMAGED".  He's the one who suggested I call UPS, so I was kinda hoping that - since they already have it documented by their own driver - that maybe they wouldn't need to investigate any further, and just let me keep it. Or offer me a 50% refund... we'll see, but... sounds like California knows what he's talking about. :(

Just when Kmart does the right thing and packs your item in a sturdy carton, then UPS takes over.  I called UPS on this one.  I hope they allow me to keep it with a partial refund... will they do that?  I'd like to build it :)

20150805_162815.jpg

Personally?  Build it.  If this is for you to build, then just build it.  Yeah, it's disappointing that it's a bit crushed, but, it's still all there, and it's good to go.  You'll get much more enjoyment out of it, then the time it will take for you to get $5 or $10 back on it.  Why bother.

20150805_162815.jpg

the best kmart would probably do is offer you $5 in shopyourway reward points with any $500 kmart purchase. Hot buy items excluded.

• Like 2