Thread of Packaging Excellence

I was expecting my order to arrive in a target plastic shopping bag held together with scotch tape, but they arrived in boxes.

I wonder if they just ran out of boxes as the day progressed.  We need someone to volunteer to work in their shipping dept and get some answers for us.  

the lil' May the 4th order i forgot about showed up today - guess it stopped working as a doorstop.

there was no rhyme or reason to this - I received 2 smashed bagged sets on the afternoon of May 5th, 3 boxed sets the same day, and then today, i got another bagged smashed one.  all were ordered at the same time - 730am may 4th.  Luckily I did a bunch of in store pickups which are minty.

photo 1 (56).JPG

photo 2 (72).JPG

Edited by cladner

the lil' May the 4th order i forgot about showed up today - guess it stopped working as a doorstop.

there was no rhyme or reason to this - I received 2 smashed bagged sets on the afternoon of May 5th, 3 boxed sets the same day, and then today, i got another bagged smashed one.  all were ordered at the same time - 730am may 4th.  Luckily I did a bunch of in store pickups which are minty.

​That's about how I'd expect them to arrive in a bag. Crazy!

• 3 weeks later...

I just received a Lego Simpsons House from Amazon and there was crushing damage on the front of the box.  They packed it with two smaller sets and two of the new heavy lego encyclopedias. 

Should I ask Amazon to assist or will they even care?

Should I try to find one in a brick and mortar store to buy and then return the damaged one?

Any experience with this?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Should I try to find one in a brick and mortar store to buy and then return the damaged one?

not this, bad karma

I just received a Lego Simpsons House from Amazon and there was crushing damage on the front of the box.  They packed it with two smaller sets and two of the new heavy lego encyclopedias. 

Should I ask Amazon to assist or will they even care?

Any experience with this?

​Contact them, they will either offer a partial refund, or an exchange.  Neither of those options should cost you more than the time it takes to deal with them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered 2 sets of Series 5 Mixels from TRU the other day... 18 in all. They shipped in 18 separate padded enevelopes, all arriving on the same day. The Fed Ex guy gave me a dirty look (the poor dude had to scan each). 

Brilliant business plan, TRU. Brilliant. 

11659086_10153244938374724_1315666455_o.jpg

Its funny with all the cut backs elsewhere, TRU seems to be over packaging.  The past two exclusives (Sandcrawler and sea cow) I ordered both arrived in large box with plenty of air bags.  the outer boxes were pretty beat but the set boxes were undamaged.

I ordered 2 sets of Series 5 Mixels from TRU the other day... 18 in all. They shipped in 18 separate padded enevelopes, all arriving on the same day. The Fed Ex guy gave me a dirty look (the poor dude had to scan each). 

Brilliant business plan, TRU. Brilliant. 

Is TRU hiring from a hobo camp? Good grief.

I'm rather jealous though. Those padded envelopes are great for shipping polybags and boy can I recycle packaging like a mofo.

• Like 2

Joker steamroller bought on Ebay arrived last night - wrapped in brown paper & thoroughly smashed :logik:

Making some target returns later & I have a different steamroller I purchased online....is it unethical to returned my smashed up one to Target?

If you have to ask if something is unethical...

Can you file a claim with Ebay?

Yeah...wasn't feeling good about that option. I'm waiting for a response from the seller but don't expect that to have a positive result. Does Ebay help in situations like this? I thought I read that if packages are damaged during shipping it doesn't fall under their guidelines for their money back guarantee.

Joker steamroller bought on Ebay arrived last night - wrapped in brown paper & thoroughly smashed :logik:

Making some target returns later & I have a different steamroller I purchased online....is it unethical to returned my smashed up one to Target?

You wouldn't want one of your buyers to return a damaged item from somewhere else, back to you.  Don't penalize Target for something that they didn't do...take it up with the eBay seller.

• Like 1

+1 to Legogregors.

file a claim with ebay. This is coming from a seller who takes great steps to package well. There's no excuse for being that lazy!

The seller choose to save $5 and 5 min of work - let him/her know that there are consequences for sloppy work. 

• Like 3

This is unacceptable. It should be free or returned...Sorry but it's not that hard to package something so it doesn't get trashed. Sometimes accidents happen but that that thing didn't even have a chance. The seller needs to learn what he did wrong....Would he have been happy of it was shipped to him like that?

I don't normally buy the exclusives you can only get at the shows, but the Tatooine Mini Build was just too nice to pass up. And I know I'm being fussy, but for the price paid I'm not thrilled about the packaging. I paid extra to get the mini builds and a few extra display plates and the seller just threw them into a LEGO retail shopping bag _with_ the set itself... I'm not sure if it was them or the GSP program, but then someone decided to box it such that the loose parts were on the bottom and the front of the set was resting on top of them during it's journey north.

So now I have this nice box with scratches and stud dents. They're subtle from a distance, but handling distance you can see them all over.

For what I paid, seriously tempted to return it... And if that seller is on BP and recognizes my complaint from my eBay message, welcome to the shipping hall of shame.

FrontScratches-cropped.jpg

Discussing ethics here is the same as discussing politics here, pointless. Everyone has different views and to them, it's better than yours. Are you building or saving for investment? If building then leave negative feedback and keep moving, not worth the hassle nor should the seller suffer for something you are going to throw away. If investment, ask for a couple bucks and leave feedback accordingly. There aren't that many box snobs out there buying small sets such as this, you'll be fine.

I don't normally buy the exclusives you can only get at the shows, but the Tatooine Mini Build was just too nice to pass up. And I know I'm being fussy, but for the price paid I'm not thrilled about the packaging. I paid extra to get the mini builds and a few extra display plates and the seller just threw them into a LEGO retail shopping bag _with_ the set itself... I'm not sure if it was them or the GSP program, but then someone decided to box it such that the loose parts were on the bottom and the front of the set was resting on top of them during it's journey north.

So now I have this nice box with scratches and stud dents. They're subtle from a distance, but handling distance you can see them all over.

For what I paid, seriously tempted to return it... And if that seller is on BP and recognizes my complaint from my eBay message, welcome to the shipping hall of shame.

FrontScratches-cropped.jpg

yeah that's bs I would definitely return it, the boxes are half the coolness for those exclusives and when your paying that kinda money for it you should get perfection in Return.