10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

Yeah, it was so popular last year that FAO Schwarz was giving away the $80 7347 Highway Pickup Truck with a purchase of the Palace Cinema to entice people into buying them.

So what. FAO is a small subsidiary of TRU. They mean next to nothing in retail terms. The Cinema sold out during the Christmas shopping

season and has not been replenished. It will be easily available within a couple of months.

I think it is interesting that Toys R Us deleted the page on the set I know they can put it back up but do they do that with live sets?

For instance Rover others that were gone or going I have seen it but I have not seen them turn off current product until they get more. Are there some sets that are new that have?

Or it is PR. You can't know. HH was unavailable at most places. You don't have any information to make inferences like that. There are also other reasons. Differing production costs etc. R2 being a poor seller was probably true though, too much competition from other SW UCS.

PR has been out of stock on Amazon. Is it retireing too?

PR has been out of stock on Amazon. Is it retireing too?

no its not.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Expert-Parisian-Restaurant/dp/B00HQIZBE4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421248700&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=parisian+restaurtant

PR is available from walmart and target.

it is also the new smaller box with higher MSRP.

PS and PC have larger boxes which under new shipping rules will cost more to send.

they also have lower MSRP so lower margins for these sets overall.

i doubt PC will retire without a restock of target, walmart etc.

some investors like to have stock targets complete before the panic buying begins.

panic buying for some is more of a way to eliminate future competition than meeting stock goals.

• Like 1

I feel that PS, PC, PR all going out of stock, always changing back and forth from available to out of stock on SAH just might be a TLG tactic to get investors to buy up as many copies as possible.

Pretty sure it's more of a tactic to try and balance warehouse stock levels, manufacturing schedule, and consumer demand instead.

I was also under the impression most of last year that PC was a poor seller, along with TH. I just saw PS or GE going out the door most of the time instead. Could be many reasons for that, but it wouldn't surprise me to see PC and PS blink out together later this year the way GE and TH basically did. Lately I've seen a lot of love for this set on these forums, but still...

As the last apparent $150 modular set, with the new "midi-modulars" line, and the general chaos factor, there are plenty of reasons TLG may slap an early retirement on it. I'd start getting serious with PC now if you every plan to (and for my money, it ranks well above PS, maybe even GE).

• Like 2

I think it is interesting that Toys R Us deleted the page on the set I know they can put it back up but do they do that with live sets?

For instance Rover others that were gone or going I have seen it but I have not seen them turn off current product until they get more. Are there some sets that are new that have?

It happens all the time with Transformers on the TRU Canada site. It also happened with the Sopwith Camel - unless you had it on your previous search history, it was nowhere to be found. Of course YMMV especially since the sites are "different" but I've seen it here.

I don't think PC goes out until they hit us with another corner building.  They want a little variety in their lineup and as of right now...PC is the only one of their modulars that is A) a corner and a unique building ala a Town Hall or Fire House. While I think the new modulars are nice......at the end of the day, they're all pretty non descript, generic buildings.

Edited by scuttfarkas

for everyone thats saying PC doesnt retire, I get it... i am right there with you... EXCEPT R4 24.  what do you guys that dont think its going to EOL think about tape codes?  that they mean nothing?  I am not trying to shove that point home, but rather geniuinely interested in what you guys think about tape codes.  PR was proven to have a tape code of R4 47(i think?) still, while the PC tape code is from APRIL 2014!  either way, I will post my tape code asap from LS@**** for everyone when they get here.

for everyone thats saying PC doesnt retire, I get it... i am right there with you... EXCEPT R4 24.  what do you guys that dont think its going to EOL think about tape codes?  that they mean nothing?  I am not trying to shove that point home, but rather geniuinely interested in what you guys think about tape codes.  PR was proven to have a tape code of R4 47(i think?) still, while the PC tape code is from APRIL 2014!  either way, I will post my tape code asap from LS@**** for everyone when they get here.

I can't really follow what you are trying to say, but my latest PC from TRU has seal code 40R4.

When a set is getting older and older, it sells less and less. The PC is not new anymore, two sets (PR and DO) have the attention of lego collectors.

You are worry because of #24R4. Ok. But what if the average demand for this set has been 200,000 on 2013, then 100,000 on 2014, and so lego thought 40,000 may be sold in 2015 (comparing with older sets like the GE or the fire brigade), and so produced 30,000 sets with the 24R4 run ?

That would cover the stock of PC until it's definitely sold out, unless of course if some sets are sold "unexpectedly quick" and lego feels the need of an other production run (let's say 5,000 sets to feed the late collectors... and investors).

(figures are for example, of course)

When a set is getting older and older, it sells less and less. The PC is not new anymore, two sets (PR and DO) have the attention of lego collectors.

You are worry because of #24R4. Ok. But what if the average demand for this set has been 200,000 on 2013, then 100,000 on 2014, and so lego thought 40,000 may be sold in 2015 (comparing with older sets like the GE or the fire brigade), and so produced 30,000 sets with the 24R4 run ?

That would cover the stock of PC until it's definitely sold out, unless of course if some sets are sold "unexpectedly quick" and lego feels the need of an other production run (let's say 5,000 sets to feed the late collectors... and investors).

(figures are for example, of course)

also on top of that, my worry is compounded by THs 2 year life as well.  PC will be coming up on its 2 year life mid year iirc, but like you said its impossible for lego to just make a production run and guess thats when it runs out of stock like the Town Hall did.  What also compounded the fear was the R4 24 code, but like someone just posted, there is a R4 40 code floating around so there is nothing to see here anymore, lol.

also on top of that, my worry is compounded by THs 2 year life as well. PC will be coming up on its 2 year life mid year iirc, but like you said its impossible for lego to just make a production run and guess thats when it runs out of stock like the Town Hall did. What also compounded the fear was the R4 24 code, but like someone just posted, there is a R4 40 code floating around so there is nothing to see here anymore, lol.

The issue with the town Hall IMO was the 200.00 price point. Who knows what the issue really was. The PC still has life yet I think. It was released Feb 2013.

Guest TabbyBoy

Since I missed the boat on the TH and don't have a PC yet, the PC will retire at 14:00 this afternoon GMT ;-)

Seriously, I think LEGO need to keep this nice corner set for a while after the GE is EOL.  I'll get some when the price is right.

Does amazon USA carry this? It is only available from 3rd parties at the moment and has been for a while. I've got an amazon.com gift card I'd like to use on a set where the price difference doesn't match the USD->CAD exchange and I'm thinking PC is a good choice in that regard.

The usual stock for exclusives and hard to finds may not start to widely show up as available until March/April.

• Like 1

this is a good example of why its good to stock up early on some exclusives.

Built up a half dozen of these through damage box and double points / good promotion time periods during the 6 months or so.  Had roughly $100 into some of these from Oct / Nov with promotions and damage points.

Its been a nice after Xmas consistent $200 sale

You see so many say its to early to invest in a set but when they have OOS periods for awhile like this you can make some good money.  If you come across opportunity it never hurts to have early stock on good sets.

• Like 1

I had no idea... is this typical for Lego? It takes that long to catch up after Christmas or something else?

I'm just a noob trying to understand the workings of the machine.

Yep, it just takes that long for them to catch up.  I learned the hard way.  I bought a couple full price Cargo Trains and Summer Riding Camps at this time of year a couple years ago, thinking they may not return.  Not again...

• Like 2

I had no idea... is this typical for Lego? It takes that long to catch up after Christmas or something else?

I'm just a noob trying to understand the workings of the machine.

This is typical around Christmas time.

Last year the Falcon disappeared during the Christmas rush and MANY folks were sure it was gone. It was even found on clearance at MANY stores in late 2013 and early 2014. Sure enough it reappeared on shelves and lasted all of 2014. Now it has disappeared again, but this time it's not only Sold out but Sold out and discounted on the lego site itself. This makes it seem like it's truly done.

That along with the confirmation that the falcon is in the new film, slightly modified, makes it seem like the old 7965 is officially done.

Unless we're wrong. Again.