2014 May the 4th offers **LEGO SHOP USA/CAN**

Jeff Mack

Yeah but that means there obviously weren't that many to begin with.  The most anyone coudl have gotten was five pretty much.  You can't order more than that and they were literally gone in 2.5 minutes.  If even that long.  The malevolence that is.

Exactly, but that is (I guess) what people are disappointed and displeased with....

Its like if a store advertises a ''huge'' sale for 1 day, you spend waiting X hours infront of store it opens, and there is only 1 item in stock .....

Kinda a lame move wouldnt you agree? ;) ;)

To me it is, if a 3 or more day sale gets sold out in less than 5 min!!!!

They in no way mass advertised that three sets would be 50 percent off.  The average consumer will scroll through their sale items and actually never even know that 3 items were 50 percent off. Just us radicals will know and that is a very very small part of the population.

Yeah but that means there obviously weren't that many to begin with.  The most anyone coudl have gotten was five pretty much.  You can't order more than that and they were literally gone in 2.5 minutes.  If even that long.  The malevolence that is.

I'm pretty sure some experienced resellers had their setup ready to place dozens of orders simultaneously at 12:00:01. If I had known the stock wouldn't last 5 minutes, I would have prepared better too.

Exactly, but that is (I guess) what people are disappointed and displeased with....

Its like if a store advertises a ''huge'' sale for 1 day, you spend waiting X hours infront of store it opens, and there is only 1 item in stock .....

Kinda a lame move wouldnt you agree? ;) ;)

To me it is, if a 3 or more day sale gets sold out in less than 5 min!!!!

You just described Black Friday.  But their larger goal is to get you there shopping, and in that regard Lego succeeded.

You just described Black Friday.  But their larger goal is to get you there shopping, and in that regard Lego succeeded.

Yeah I totally agree that the goal is what you say, I still think its ''perverted'' tactics kind off :)

Its just my own opinion.

I'm pretty sure some experienced resellers had their setup ready to place dozens of orders simultaneously at 12:00:01. If I had known the stock wouldn't last 5 minutes, I would have prepared better too.

Hopefully this isn't the future, where a small amount of bot/script set-ups dominate the sales and the rest are fooked. I've thought about constructing a script to let me know when some items come back in stock (like the ssd at walmart), but it would suck if it got so competitive that you had to have your own set-up just to have a chance.

Hopefully this isn't the future, where a small amount of bot/script set-ups dominate the sales and the rest are fooked. I've thought about constructing a script to let me know when some items come back in stock (like the ssd at walmart), but it would suck if it got so competitive that you had to have your own set-up just to have a chance.

Still better than employees buying all of the good stuff before opening. I got to the store for opening time and all of the good sets were gone. Since I walk by there every day, I found it strange that the day before that the shelves were packed. 

Edit: not May the 4th, it was an announced easter sale.

Hopefully this isn't the future, where a small amount of bot/script set-ups dominate the sales and the rest are fooked. I've thought about constructing a script to let me know when some items come back in stock (like the ssd at walmart), but it would suck if it got so competitive that you had to have your own set-up just to have a chance.

Try buying the new Jordans online when they come out.. a lot of other resellers who specialize in other products already have to deal with these problems.

But the more rare the item, the less chance for general consumers to acquire, the higher the secondary market price.

Some people here apparently want everyone to have a fair chance to purchase every deal and then will wonder why their portfolio isn't worth anything. Some exclusivity to sets and pricing wouldn't be a bad thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Brickpicker mobile app

The outrage is at allowing a few to scoop up all the great deals within minutes through placing 5+ orders without having any sort of limits so that long time customers, collectors and kids who would have been happy to get one great deal along with some worse then TRU deals get none.  Because of this clear lack of concern on the part of Lego I will be boycotting May da 4 and personally writing to TLG customer relations.

You snooze, you lose...at least in my case.  I fell asleep(because I'm an old fart) and woke up at 12:11.  I was too late to buy anything 50% off except for a few Vizslas.  I have nobody to blame but myself.  LEGO could put some restrictions on place on the heavy discounted sets, but you really can't blame people who are willing to stay awake for the opportunity to get a discounted set anymore than you can blame a person who waits on line on Black Friday to get a $100 HDTV at Walmart.

• Like 1

Try buying the new Jordans online when they come out.. a lot of other resellers who specialize in other products already have to deal with these problems.

But the more rare the item, the less chance for general consumers to acquire, the higher the secondary market price.

Some people here apparently want everyone to have a fair chance to purchase every deal and then will wonder why their portfolio isn't worth anything. Some exclusivity to sets and pricing wouldn't be a bad thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Brickpicker mobile app

While I totally agree with you, I still see a difference in 3 min availability and 3 hours..... many people would still be left out (majority) but 3 min is seriously crazy.

To me such stock lvls are a joke and a mock to customers..... if they last 3 min with sale going on for days.....

Would you be angry if they offered promo and poster with 75$ SW purchases and every single SW set would be out of stock?

While I totally agree with you, I still see a difference in 3 min availability and 3 hours..... many people would still be left out (majority) but 3 min is seriously crazy.

To me such stock lvls are a joke and a mock to customers..... if they last 3 min with sale going on for days.....

Would you be angry if they offered promo and poster with 75$ SW purchases and every single SW set would be out of stock?

That's not the case though.  There are a ton of SW sets available to buy if you want the promos.  There are 3 sets out of the entire sale that are out of stock.  These were 50% off for a reason, Lego had lingering stock and wanted to get rid of it quickly.  They succeeded.  You win some and you lose some.

I assure you that it's not in Lego's best interest to mock customers, that isn't what's going on here at all.

• Like 2

I was organized, fast, clever, had recently showered, and I got my order in on the dot.

My two Malevolence still went to backorder, and who knows if they'll be cancelled.

Even if I were the hand-wringing type, there's no point in it. All the time and energy I could use on grousing that this is the fault of Lego or other investors or those meddling kids, I use instead in moving on to the next item on my buy list and looking for the next good deal.

• Like 3

Ordered an R2 last night to get a Revan. Went to the LEGO Shop at Home this morning and got a Death Star, R2, Sandcrawler and got a Revan with every one. Then used my points and got a free Ewok Village. Going to pick up an X-Wing before the weekend is up. Hoping the SSD will come back in stock before the weekend is over too. The manager said they only had one box of Revans to pass out but i don't believe that for a second. Maybe one box PER day. This store has never been THAT low on promos. Would have been nice to get the same 15% that everywhere else got but it is what it is. 

I think this sw may4th was about promoting the sandcrawler and the 50% off sets were more of an afterthought storage clearance. I got in an order for a melevolance and vizla but its processing still. Odd. Put in a second order and hit BUY but only a vizla was in the cart, no malevolance. I may call in to cancel that order as its $6 wasted shipping.

That's not the case though.  There are a ton of SW sets available to buy if you want the promos.  There are 3 sets out of the entire sale that are out of stock.  These were 50% off for a reason, Lego had lingering stock and wanted to get rid of it quickly.  They succeeded.  You win some and you lose some.

I assure you that it's not in Lego's best interest to mock customers, that isn't what's going on here at all.

Ofcourse its not in LEGO mind to mock customers, but look it from the average joe or a bit above average, who seen the sale but is no die hard fan like us on Brickpicker....

If he learns or somehow saw that stock went ''bye bye'' within a few minutes, what feeling do you get?

I would bet on feeling that they only had a ''couple'' of boxes, and thats a negative image then, especially for a sale advertising to last X days regardless of other sets.

And dont think I am angry, I am just discussing and looking from all perspectives, I could not order anyway so I could care less :)

In EU even the best sets are still order-able (granted smaller discount but overall better sets imo)

Guess this is the future of Discount hunting for USers especially.

Ofcourse its not in LEGO mind to mock customers, but look it from the average joe or a bit above average, who seen the sale but is no die hard fan like us on Brickpicker....

If he learns or somehow saw that stock went ''bye bye'' within a few minutes, what feeling do you get?

I would bet on feeling that they only had a ''couple'' of boxes, and thats a negative image then, especially for a sale advertising to last X days regardless of other sets.

And dont think I am angry, I am just discussing and looking from all perspectives, I could not order anyway so I could care less :)

In EU even the best sets are still order-able (granted smaller discount but overall better sets imo)

Guess this is the future of Discount hunting for USers especially.

Not to mention lego is far more popular in the USA than any other region

The average joe never knew there were three sets for 50 percent off.

I meant more an ''average'' joe like me..... I would never stay up at night just to order at midnight a LEGO set...... Especially if I would heard a promotion and ''traditional'' sale is up for days and its main day was supposed to be May the 4th.....

If i woke up on 1st sale day and I would see ''everything'' OOS LEGO would get a relatively big - in my book.... 

I am sure there are more people like me out there ;)

Not to mention lego is far more popular in the USA than any other region

It seems so.... :)

You have the best prices anyway.

I agree with you snooze you lose to a certain extent however am still against letting those who write the best JavaScript getting all the deals, while the people who really should be getting the deals, the parents on a tight budget and the kids who saved their allowance get left out. Is this the future where one has to always bring a CPU to a mouse fight. For a few of us this is not a problem but the most deserving will be most hurt as always.  Appreciate and respect the different opinions of others as always and that there is a place we can share these.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

OK, from a point of reference....

My lego store...

Staff was great. Got a sandcrawler, revan and poster. Very happy!

They had before the store opened 0 Malevolence, 0 vizsla, and 0 skiff.

Last year they had 25 B wings. I am puzzled this year that the sets sold out in 3 minutes online AND the store had nothing to begin with.

I am not upset at Lego.

But was the B Wing that big of a dud? or was it an exceptional offer and they didn't have stores stocked in prior years like last year and this year was like prior years?

While they didn't advertise the 50% off sets! they did send out to all affiliates the discount list showing 50% off on them.

Why bother on those if there was so few? People would have found them and still gone quickly.

For today though, Sandcrawler, Revan, Poster, 1 Malevolence online, a few skiffs, a few viszla's, keychains, watch, and a great deal from

Toys R Us on mint boxed hasbro at at's and x wings (not lego) and the free x wing tie fighter build.

I am happy. great day.

OK, from a point of reference....

My lego store...

Staff was great. Got a sandcrawler, revan and poster. Very happy!

They had before the store opened 0 Malevolence, 0 vizsla, and 0 skiff.

Last year they had 25 B wings. I am puzzled this year that the sets sold out in 3 minutes online AND the store had nothing to begin with.

I am not upset at Lego.

But was the B Wing that big of a dud? or was it an exceptional offer and they didn't have stores stocked in prior years like last year and this year was like prior years?

The B-Wing was a minor dud, but I think a major difference is The Mal/Skiff/Pre have all been LONG out of production. I don't even know if the B-Wing was out of production at the time of last year's sale, as it didn't go out of stock online until NOV, 6 months after the deal. 

What this tells me is none of the current UCS' are performing as poorly as the B-Wing was.f they were going to do this with a UCS set this year, it would most likely have been Red Five or R2-D2 based on release dates, so I am guessing these are selling fine on their own.

Not that there isn't a lot of give and take with the two, but I don't think the impact of the collector market can be marginalized here. B-Wings were seen as a low demand set, and collector shied away. I think sets like SSD/DS/Village/R2/R-5 are more appealing to investors - and I bet more are selling in general. Obviously, the fact that the B-Wing probably has limited appeal to casual fans makes a big difference too, and is connected to the investor attitude towards the set. It all goes hand in hand. 

If we want a set to be heavily discounted, we need to hope it sells poorly :) I think it would be curious to see what if anything would happen if we all arbitrarily decided to NOT buy a set as a group. Not that it would work, but it would be a fun experiment if people committed to it.