Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

Is it worth buying the Exo Suits? I can pick up about 30 of them from local stores for ~$20 each, but I'm pretty new to investing in sealed LEGO sets and I'm not really sure how to determine if a set is rare, or will increase in value - let alone how long it will take to do so. Amazon and the US Lego store still have plenty in stock.

I still feel like this set is a dog, does anyone agree?

I did before the sale.

Now I feel like this dog is finally getting buried...

please remember to ask amazon.com to price match lego.com 's price of $27.98.  Add $0 for shipping.

"shop.lego.com/en-US/Exo-Suit-21109"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2DL6GG&

Since Target has already followed LEGO Shop at Home's lead, when Amazon price matches, then Walmart will follow...

Edited by dcdfan

I still feel like this set is a dog, does anyone agree?

Imagine yourself 6 months from now saying i could have bought 1 ecto for every 2 of these stupid exo-suits.

This is a value pit.  Less than 1 of these sell a day on ebay.  A total of 10 sold in the whole month of June on ebay.  The demand is basically zero. 

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

i still go back to my history point.  we haven't had a CUUSOO / Ideas set bomb yet.  can this be the first.  heck, even the heavily criticized and nicely discounted   BTTF DeLorean set is doing well.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/cagrbytheme.cfm

IDEAS CAGR= 54.43%

CAGR Values =
21100-1: Shinkai 6500 Submarine = 61.06%
21101-1: Hayabusa = 42.88%
21102-1: Minecraft Micro World = 7.81% (yeah, this might be the first dud but it might be caused by the recent sets after it became a theme. this isn't the lone Minecraft set anymore).
1103-1: The DeLorean Time Machine = 45.57%

This theme has been like picking a Pixar film to bomb.  They didn't have their first review really until Cars 2 (12th film release) which still made decent money. .

FilmRotten TomatoesMetacritic[27] 
Toy Story100%[29]92/100 
A Bug's Life92%[30]77/100 
Toy Story 2100%[31]88/100 
Monsters, Inc.96%[32]78/100 
Finding Nemo99%[33]90/100 
The Incredibles97%[34]90/100 
Cars74%[35]73/100 
Ratatouille96%[36]96/100 
WALL-E96%[37]94/100 
Up98%[38]88/100 
Toy Story 399%[39]92/100 
Cars 239%[40]57/100 
Brave78%[41]69/100 
Monsters University78%[42]65/100 
Inside Out98%[43]94/100 

^^This is a sound point-of-view.

NO. Ecto-1 should do hopefully better than BTTF and Exo-Suit combined...

With all this said, does it mean it's a better choice than Ecto-1?

i just submitted the target price match info  to amazon

please remember to ask amazon.com to price match lego.com 's price of $27.98.  Add $0 for shipping.

"shop.lego.com/en-US/Exo-Suit-21109"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2DL6GG&

Is it worth buying the Exo Suits? I can pick up about 30 of them from local stores for ~$20 each, but I'm pretty new to investing in sealed LEGO sets and I'm not really sure how to determine if a set is rare, or will increase in value - let alone how long it will take to do so. Amazon and the US Lego store still have plenty in stock.

Exo Suit is not for the faint of heart... well stocked by resellers, available longer than a lot of other IDEAS sets, etc. This is one of those put it away for 2-3 years and literally forget about it. Find them in 2018-2019 and you'll probably have a smile on your face.

$20/each is a pretty good deal though.

- How can you determine if a set is rare? You can't until it happens.
- How can you determine if it will increase in value? You can't until it happens.

We try to make edumacated guesses based on the past performance of similar sets. Sometimes the rarity smacks you in the face (41999, Research Institute) and other times it happens when you least expect it (Curiosity Rover).

As for value, the set has to be desirable to increase in value. Take for example a flagship Technic set like the MKII or Volvo Loader. These are some of the biggest and best Technic sets out there... Until LEGO makes new ones (if ever) these things are likely to increase in value just like the motorized Excavator and Bulldozers which haven't been remade. But if you look at City police sets, they don't tend to do as well because LEGO remakes them every year.This is where the "at a discount" comment comes in though - at the right discount, money can still be made because they next year's sets may be more expensive, not as good, and likely won't see steep discounts until the end of their shelf life.

This is all information that exists somewhere on the forums & articles in much more detail. Happy reading!

• Like 3

i still go back to my history point.  we haven't had a CUUSOO / Ideas set bomb yet.  can this be the first.  heck, even the heavily criticized and nicely discounted   BTTF DeLorean set is doing well.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I could swear that a lot of us were poo-poo'ing the DeLorean while it was still available.  "Oh the set looks bad" "It's not going to do good EOL" "Too many people bought this" "Why is this on sale?"

I'm *not* saying this is going to do the same.  But the DeLorean is experiencing nice returns.  Ideas had this really nice set (and the RI at the same time), got bombed with people buying it day one, shifted production to make more, and then things just kinda went south.  I believe this set will do well EOL, but it's going to be a long term wait. 

• Like 2

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I could swear that a lot of us were poo-poo'ing the DeLorean while it was still available.  "Oh the set looks bad" "It's not going to do good EOL" "Too many people bought this" "Why is this on sale?"

I'm *not* saying this is going to do the same.  But the DeLorean is experiencing nice returns.  Ideas had this really nice set (and the RI at the same time), got bombed with people buying it day one, shifted production to make more, and then things just kinda went south.  I believe this set will do well EOL, but it's going to be a long term wait. 

DeLorean was almost universally reviled.

hmmm, I found a brilliant strategy. Look for sets everyone on here hates and stock up on them...

Edited by Migration
  • Like 3

It must be very hard to forecast demands for LEGO.  When they made too few, the customers complain about scarcity and high price on 3rd party sellers.  When they made just enough (based on the demand for 21102 Minecraft), they got inundated by wannabe QFLL returning their product en-mass... :D

.. and some people wonder why LEGO hate re-sellers :D

• Like 2

Imagine yourself 6 months from now saying i could have bought 1 ecto for every 2 of these stupid exo-suits.

This is a value pit.  Less than 1 of these sell a day on ebay.  A total of 10 sold in the whole month of June on ebay.  The demand is basically zero.

Why pay above retail from a reseller on ebay when it can be purchased directly from Lego, Amazon, Target etc.?

This set was a big seller initially but the reseller cult was large part of that.  Classic Space is a non-licensed theme that appeals to niche of older collectors. 

Ecto 1 - licensed with strong pop culture following.

BTTF - ditto

Exo Suit - kinda-sorta looks like that thing at the end of Aliens.

I like the Exo Suit. It was the first thing I'd built (for myself) since I was a kid. But it just doesn't have that lasting "pop culture" fizz of the other two. It doesn't even have the "female scientists" angle of RI.

I have a few I bought before we knew this "decommissioned" thing would happen. They boxed up and put on a shelf in a closet where no one will see them for five years.