Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

Skip back to page 14 of this thread and you will see that it wasn´t overpriced enough not to sell out within hours of launch on 1st Aug!

If you keep reading from that point on and things get interesting - we see the pre release hype, the euphoria of scoring multiples, the quick flipping money makers who made cash on it in August and then the despair of others as it came back into stock and Lego made enough of them to cover the moon.

There are lots of lessons to be learned from this item.

Yes, very good point. This set will do better than RI long term IMO.

Yep, all about opinions i suppose, we will see in a couple of years.

In a nutshell, lego investing is all about perceptions and I am finally getting that into my thick skull.

It´s not so much the quaity of a set, its price or content that is important for many people, but the perception of scarcity and exclusivity that it has. That´s why people pay a premium - to own something that is perceived to be desirable (usually because it is unobtainable and there is no adequate substitute).

We could see this with 7965, it was discounted when it was in all the shops then it spiked when it went scarce and now it has come back down again as a remake beckons.

Neither RI nor Exo have these qualities at the moment and it will take a while for people´s perceptions to change. That means there will be no price growth unless all the resellers who have them withdraw them from the market to create demand. Probably the opposite will happen as most will lose patience and sell cheap - thus making things worse for the long term hoarders as they have to wait longer for any decent profits.

• 3 weeks later...

I still wonder how they could totally overestimate demand after the first hype wave was over. Everybody around here always talks about how TLG is taking reseller activities into consideration and all that. Well, in this case they were completely wrong and produced like 10.000+ too many. How in the world could that happen?

• Like 1

I still wonder how they could totally overestimate demand after the first hype wave was over. Everybody around here always talks about how TLG is taking reseller activities into consideration and all that. Well, in this case they were completely wrong and produced like 10.000+ too many. How in the world could that happen?

Did you forget about how often and quickly we poofed all the online retailers, even after the first wave?  I believe there were 1,500-2,000 units in each retailer's batch, and they would be gone in a day.  TLG thought they had a mega-hit on their hands, when in actuality, it was us grabbing most of them.  Let's just hope there's decent demand after all of the current batch disappears.

• 4 weeks later...