75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

• 3 weeks later...

Moved to backorder at SAH finally! That leaves EV as the Tumbler of this year still available, which is bad news for me as I have a several. Everything is getting restocked next week so I don´t expect any retirements till BF and the snow shaker promo.

Edited by Val-E

Ewok Village isn't out of stock at toysrus.nl either, even though it's 20% off. Then again, it's 270€, so 216€ with the discount is still not the best deal out there...

Meanwhile toysrus.fr is at it again with the crazy price increases. Anyone up for a 300€ Ewok Village? 360€ Sandcrawler perhaps? Too expensive for your budget? Maybe a 240€ Slave 1 then? Poor French guys...:resent:

Naamloos.png

Edited by c_rpg
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Probably means there is a BOGO50% offer coming.

Hmmm you think so? I've seen a lot less decent discounts at toysrus.fr compared to .de or .nl. This would be pretty much the lowest price for a sandcrawler I've seen to date (270€). Although I suspect that they will increase the sandcrawler price before the discount as well. It's been at 360€ for a few months iirc.

I thought raising prices a short while before discounts was illegal in the EU. Guess not.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Moved to backorder at SAH finally! That leaves EV as the Tumbler of this year still available

So going to backorder FAST is bad for a retiring set's potential because investors might just be going all-in on it and going to backorder MUCH LATER is also bad because the set is unpopular (with resellers or in general - who knows?)? Is there any behavior at all that is actually a good sign for a retirement candidate already bearing the tag?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frank Brickowski said:

So going to backorder FAST is bad for a retiring set's potential because investors might just be going all-in on it and going to backorder MUCH LATER is also bad because the set is unpopular (with resellers or in general - who knows?)? Is there any behavior at all that is actually a good sign for a retirement candidate already bearing the tag?

nope.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

The only retirement behaviour I like is when sets go quietly à la Villa Savoye, RE or La Ferrari. Anything with Limited time only, retiring soon or other marketing tools to attract the horde like a bull to a red rag are not good.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

The only retirement behaviour I like is when sets go quietly à la Villa Savoye, RE or La Ferrari. Anything with Limited time only, retiring soon or other marketing tools to attract the horde like a bull to a red rag are not good.

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

Case in point, and I agree.  Hundreds if not thousands of sandcrawlers have already been sold in the preceding few weeks during the first round of "discount" sandcrawler listings and complete sellouts on Amazon.  The discounts are staying around and hundreds more will sell.  It's unfortunate for those people stocking up on several thinking they had another sure winner when this thread popped like crazy a few weeks back after DS wrecked havoc with it's return.

Edited by JRandall

I've 3 of these myself and stopped when I came to my senses that this one is will be a dog in post EOL performance if you've bought in at RRP. Even with your double VIP and freebie. Long-term, might be  different story but the CARG gods are unsympathtic to this hymn.

Blind faith in the old blue-chip UCS investment is a symptom of that classic human weakness - denial. Denial that every newly devout, hopeful-eyed gold-seeker hasn't listened to the preachings of the infallible word of the Order of Star Wars UCS and embraced this with the fervant zeal only an aspirant untempered by godforsaken returns on heavy investment in recent UCS can have,

I have seen the light myself and praise be to the hallelujah of cheaper sets at better discounts that will generate the same or greater returns more rapidly in the short-to-medium term for the same offerings to those monolithic UCS boxes.

Of course the guy who picked one up in Walmart for $17 earlier this year might disagree but we can't all be lottery winners.

• Like 5

I do not see any positive side to this 'retiring soon' tag. I have 3 Sandcrawlers. Which I thought I bought at a good discount. But now I fear the will be in my storage room for at least two years before making any significant profit. 

Longing back to the days when sets just silently retired overnight. IR is a set that sailed in an orderly fashion. I do not own any of those cause I waited too long. And I guess many more people missed this one. Which is an important ingredient for success. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

I do not see any positive side to this 'retiring soon' tag. I have 3 Sandcrawlers. Which I thought I bought at a good discount. But now I fear the will be in my storage room for at least two years before making any significant profit. 

Longing back to the days when sets just silently retired overnight. IR is a set that sailed in an orderly fashion. I do not own any of those cause I waited too long. And I guess many more people missed this one. Which is an important ingredient for success. 

Lego board meeting tomorrow.

Dudes, our sales are up like 400% on all retiring soone items!

Great, just in time to book our Ski holidays in Switzerland.

Put retiring soon or call 2 check on all items and let´s see if we can break a new record.

• Like 5

Just now, Val-E said:

Lego board meeting tomorrow.

Dudes, our sales are up like 400% on all retiring soone items!

Great, just in time to book our Ski holidays in Switzerland.

Put retiring soon or call 2 check on all items and let´s see if we can break a new record.

And initiate another production run. Then we can send them to the main retailers directly. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, shortyz said:

Maybe they will retire it and just rebox it with a disney tag in 6 months.

I doubt that. This set is no Death Star. Nowhere near as well-known.

Assault on Hoth replaces Ewok Village and the new Snowspeeder replaces Sandcrawler. This would be the most logical thing to do (yeah yeah, I know what you're going to say).

I do think we're going to see another AT-AT again soon, perhaps UCS.

UCS Y-Wing is also a possibility if it's prominent in Rogue One.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2016 at 8:52 PM, Frank Brickowski said:

Is there any behavior at all that is actually a good sign for a retirement candidate already bearing the tag?

Yes " sold out " is quite good. But retiring soon basically is a signal for everyone to buy, so they dont have to discount it because they have loads left.

Even when it does go " retired " there is the chance that they sent thousands to one of the retailers to shift for 6 months or so.

Not seen Star Wars? One of those sci-fi snobs?

I married someone whose Venn diagram of interests with me doesn't have a huge overlap.

She watches the Bachelor and Dancing with the Stars and I watch Supergirl and the Flash. I listen to 80s music she's firmly in today. She just never had an interest in the good stuff. Lol
  • Like 9