10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

Not necessarily, we have seen loads of sets retire before it seemed like their lifespan should allow. 

The 10227 B Wing was retired after 7 months while the R2 D2 had been out for a year, the Super Star Destroyer had been out for nearly 2 years and the Death Star had been around for 4 years. Now, almost a year later, they have released 2 new UCS sets with 2 more on the horizon and we have no idea which one will go next. 

Good points.  But for the modular theme...we're talking about a line of sets that kinda go together (literally).  All the SW sets you describe doesn't really have to be collected together or follow any 'trend' because each sets is separate/stand alone so to speak.  sure Lego would like you to buy EVERYTHING.  It's kinda like if Lego stops the production of Rancor Pit after 1 yr but choses to reproduce Jabba's Hut for yr after yr...which doesn't seem too smart.  most likely they will both retire around the same time since they 'go together'.  I could be totally wrong...just my 2cents :)   

Guess we'll see in 2014 if GE retires.  I bet even if GE retires there will still be debates on what modular will go EOL next haha.  PS or TH etc. Sometimes it's just simply retiring older sets first.  Some of us maybe reading too much into things.  Different opinions/perspectives makes reading the forums and speculating interesting... 

It is likely that GE will fallow the same trend set before, but my only point is that there are enough trend breakers in Lego's history that we shouldn't rely on this. Personally, I am going to make sure I have at least SOME Pet Shops and Town Halls just in case. For all I know, the palace cinema could go next but that is where I am drawing the line. 

I got burned by this last year with the Winter Village, I held on buying 50 Post Offices at 20% off with double VIP points just because I assumed they would do the same thing next year just like the Bakery did the year before. What happened was the bakery AND post office were discontinued the same year and I missed out on a stash of post offices. Now, who knows when the next WV set will retire, anything is game. 

It is likely that GE will fallow the same trend set before, but my only point is that there are enough trend breakers in Lego's history that we shouldn't rely on this. Personally, I am going to make sure I have at least SOME Pet Shops and Town Halls just in case. For all I know, the palace cinema could go next but that is where I am drawing the line. 

I got burned by this last year with the Winter Village, I held on buying 50 Post Offices at 20% off with double VIP points just because I assumed they would do the same thing next year just like the Bakery did the year before. What happened was the bakery AND post office were discontinued the same year and I missed out on a stash of post offices. Now, who knows when the next WV set will retire, anything is game. 

That is very true. Lego may change their strategy on when they retire certain sets. We shouldn't use the trends as a definitive answer to when a set will retire, but we should use them as guidelines because they may change at any time.

Guest TabbyBoy

Why would the PS retire before GE?

This would only happen if PS was a lousy seller.   ie....B-wing.

Both GE & PS are great selling sets therefore it will retire accordingly.

Having said this,  the TH may end before PS!

All Business cut losses if they project poor selling products.

I'm actually beginning to think that the TH may be going for the chop first as it's a bigger poorly-selling box which takes up valuable shelf space.  I actually marked some boxes in JL 3 weeks ago (with easily removed masking tape) and the TH was the only modular still on the shelf last night but, PS & GE were renewed.  TH could be the "B-Wing" of modulars I think which is why I've not got one yet.  However, I'm going to start on TH with 2xVIP next week just to cover my arse.  Shame, as it's a nice set.

that is awesome! I wonder if anyone else has tried that!

At lunch I'll try to mark up boxes at the Lego store...when they ask what I'm doing, I'll just say I'm an investor trying to see which modulars move haha.  Or say 'do this as Tabby said'.  I might get the ban hammer or tasered by security.     

Guest TabbyBoy

The trick is to put a tiny piece of folded masking tape (say, 2mm x 10mm) on your finger with more of the sticky side showing on the outside so it transfers from your finger to the box.  It only needs to be millimetres in size and is hardly noticeable apart from to those that applied it.  It's a sneaky trick but, causes no box damage as it's a weak adhesive.  Just rub it off onto the box when you pick it up to pretend to have a look and nobody is any the wiser.  I did think about marker pen at first but, you'll be forced to buy the item if caught and who wants a mark on their box anyway?

It's a an excellent idea for analysing shop turnaround. However it can't be used as a basis for judging market sales. My belief is that larger sets can see increased sales as their lifespan develops. I can't prove this but I believe with the huge aftermarket sales of sets like Cafe Corner, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal, investors are now stocking up on larger numbers towards EOL and this must have some reflection on overall Lego sales for the set. Large exclusives now see 4+ year lifespans in oppose to 2 year lifespans 6-10 years ago, I wonder how much impact investors had on that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

GE is now not available and out of stock (cannot be ordered) from Wal-mart.  Target shows in stock, S&**** out of stock but still order-able, Amazon has not been in stock for some time.

Regardless of what happens (if anything) to GE this year...I'll be clicking on the GE and taking out my credit card later tonight on Lego.com/ca :)

• 2 weeks later...