10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

Just bought my first major set and it's a GE :) I really want to open it!!

buy one to build

another one for investment

another one because will skyrocket after EOL

another one for your son (no matter if you don't have)

another one for...

another one for...

at least 6 before christmas

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm waiting to see what the FIre Brigade does by Xmas as it's gone stagnant before I buy any more.  I think we have plenty of time.

I am taking this approach of performance with the Pet shop and town hall.  I am at 10 of each, and before I go all in I want to see how the GE does relative to EOL.  This market is changing and it can be too easy to go all in, buy everything and not "roll with the punches" so to speak.

• Like 1

I am trying to narrow down an investment decision regarding whether to go with two Grand Emporium or three Sopwith Camel sets (the total would be $300 either way). I am fairly new at the investment perspective regarding Legos, I love playing with them and working with my kids as they figure out how they play with them, and would appreciate any insights.

Thanks in advance for your time and insights!

Have an awesome day!

This is the way I look at my investments. First determine are you a builder collector/ investor or just purely and investor? If your just an investor you will most likley give up real quick if your a collector builder this is how I see it invest in what you don't mind getting stuck with incase for some reason you can't get money out of it or lego just tanks and they sell off the company to megablocks and we go into a dark age of building blocks.

For me I like the Modulars because there great displays when put with other buildings people collect these and will want them all if they are like me I would like to eventually have them all. Id say get the GE the sopwith is a good buy also but may take longer to go up in price and may have a smaller buying crowd.

Personally I'd go with GE's.  Or if you had a bit more funds and want diversity, one of each GE + VW Camper + Camel.  I like Camper more than Camel for personal collection and investment potential.  Just my 2 cents. 

There is tons of topics on these sets so enjoy reading and hope it helps your decision.   

• Like 1

Thanks legopocalypse, jjsrt8, & weakside! I am still thinking about what I will do, but I am excited either way.

I am still trying to figure out my long-term perspective. My biggest challenge is storage space and keeping the wife happy. She is not real excited about my current collection size.

Any other insights would be welcome.

• Like 1

If it`s just between these 2 sets, I`d also suggest GE. There is and will continue to be more demand than Sopwith, and there is more than likely more money in it. When it retires it will go up $100 pretty quickly, Sopwith won`t do that, it will go slower. 

• Like 1

The Lego Store in Ontario, CA added some new display cases in the store and one of the sets on display is GE with the shelf next to the display stocked (around 5).  No idea how many are in the back as they were quite busy so I didn't get a chance to ask someone.  On another note no Pet Shop or VW in store.

Ordered 4 GEs from walmart the other day. They are shipping 2 of them, the other two are on backorder - exact wording: "Thank you for your recent Walmart.com order. Unfortunately, one or more items you ordered are currently on backorder and may not arrive by the original estimated delivery date. We expect to have the items back in stock soon, but we are unable to provide you with a revised delivery date at this time

go figure... 

Ordered 4 GEs from walmart the other day. They are shipping 2 of them, the other two are on backorder - exact wording: "Thank you for your recent Walmart.com order. Unfortunately, one or more items you ordered are currently on backorder and may not arrive by the original estimated delivery date. We expect to have the items back in stock soon, but we are unable to provide you with a revised delivery date at this time

go figure... 

all mine got shipped.

I get the feeling that people generally like Target, so it really doesn't seem like a good idea for Target to list prices above MSRP, since they have a reputation to uphold.

a reputation to not make a profit?  target is just doing what TRU does just less extreme.

i'm not holding it against target - if anything I think its awesome because its already boosting the value of the GE's I already own.

i can't wait to see the pop when this goes to SOLD OUT.

if you want 1 or 5 GE for yourself to build, buy at LEGO Shop at Home at msrp + VIP points.

building or adding to your position in GE is not going to be easy from here on out at target or walmart.

SSD is gone.  

money has to go somewhere.

GE is an attractive option.

• Like 1

a reputation to not make a profit?  target is just doing what TRU does just less extreme.

i'm not holding it against target - if anything I think its awesome because its already boosting the value of the GE's I already own.

i can't wait to see the pop when this goes to SOLD OUT.

if you want 1 or 5 GE for yourself to build, buy at LEGO Shop at Home at msrp + VIP points.

building or adding to your position in GE is not going to be easy from here on out at target or walmart.

SSD is gone.  

money has to go somewhere.

GE is an attractive option.

I like your philosophy :)

I get the feeling that people generally like Target, so it really doesn't seem like a good idea for Target to list prices above MSRP, since they have a reputation to uphold.

target ships better than wm until mostly recently.

Now they are about the same.