10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

I think there is another factor to consider here. When a set is close to retirement (GE, SSD) investors purchase large quantities, this is going to make Lego's sales/stock levels difficult to maintain and predict. I think this set will be in and out of stock at retailers for a few months before finally retiring at the end of the year. It's worth noting that although people talk about the GE being scarce it's never been awaiting or out of stock at LEGO Shop at Home (UK)

That is that, indeed its probably investors buying 20-40 sets in a few days rather than random people walking in the Lego shop and making purchases. Its interesting to observe now. In any case the days are numbered of this set and I don't think it will last till November or Pre-Christmas time.

There is a chance I'll pop in the Milton Keynes Lego Shop this weekend and I'll give an update on the GE.

If the Fire Brigade did so decent only 6-7 months after EOL and being around for soooo long I see no reason for the GE not to. Its a corner building that's quite cool etc (i have one a whole street on display in the kitchen).

I wonder if I should get more of it... :mda:

Hmmm, do you really have no idea, or is this one of those "read between the lines" moments mentioned in the SSD thread? It's all so confusing!!  ;)

*** and **** reserve the right to unilaterally change or withdraw this Policy at any time and without notice.  Absent such change or withdrawal, this Policy shall be in force until January 1, 2015.

• Like 1

*** and **** reserve the right to unilaterally change or withdraw this Policy at any time and without notice.  Absent such change or withdrawal, this Policy shall be in force until January 1, 2015.

Will you let us know if they reinstate the policy? Or this is going to be confidential at first?

Man... Jan 1st gonna be a day hurtin' ... for the wallet I mean...

Will you let us know if they reinstate the policy? Or this is going to be confidential at first?

You think they'd have a sale that day the policy is lifted haha new years.

This was what I was wondering as well. This would obviously have a huge impact on my personal spending habits (others too I assume) during the end of 2014, if we know potential discounts on exclusives might be coming on Jan. 1, 2015. 

Sorry, I know none of this is applicable to this GE discussion at the moment, but this is potentially pretty big news!

I have been at two Lego stores since Monday and both had plenty of GE, the one had 2 rows 6 deep, "with more in the back" but neither had PS and the one has not had it for a while and said it is no longer orderable. The same manager told me that about the Sopwith back in January but they have gotten them back in.

Regardless, box condition is not that important if a set is getting retired and sets are hard to come by.

That's comforting. My sole GE has a few small scuff marks in the box print. I'm too scared to return it and gamble for another purchase with a fresh box. You super-poofers are too fast.

Sets are no longer hard to get hold of. How long do you think it will take for SSD or GE to get to a rare status, eight, nine, ten years?

Sets max out way before that in most cases.  LEGO sets are sold on the secondary to people who want to build them, not save them.  LEGO sets become more rare everyday after retirement.

what's the argument then? There were a lot of people selling Dolphine Cruisers on ebay during Christmas time, and the prices were all over $100. Was it rare? Does that even matter?

I guess it was "rare" last XMAS.  "In short supply" might be a better for the Dolphin Cruiser.  Rare might be for sets like the Curiosity Rover or Marina Bay Sands.  It doesn't really matter.  If demand is greater than supply, the price goes up.

Like I said if an item is plentiful it doesn't in my opinion constitute being rare. I see people listing Fire Brigades, Unimogs, Helms Deeps as being rare and yet there are dozens of them for sale. Rare in my opinion would be a scarce promotional item or a vintage set that has only one listing on eBay.

What is your point? Rare is a relative term. If the demand is high then it is rare. The pasta I made is definite rare in this world but nobody wants it.

what's the argument then? There were a lot of people selling Dolphine Cruisers on ebay during Christmas time, and the prices were all over $100. Was it rare? Does that even matter?

What argument? Something doesn't have to be rare to increase in value. Supply and demand control the price. I was referring to items being referred to as hard to find or rare when they are widely available