71005 - Minifigures - The Simpsons: Series 1

TheDarkness

The Simpsons  

106 members have voted

1. 1. From a scale of one to ten, how well do you believe Lego captured the look of The Simpsons?

• 1 - Ugly
    • 2 - Horrible
    • 3 - Poorly
    • 4 - Not bad
    • 5 - Decent
    • 6 - Spot on
    • 7 - Well done
    • 8 - Superb
    • 9 - Excellent
    • 10 - Perfect

We picked up a box at the local Wal-Mart last night, we've figured out the bump codes, and we have 2 extra sets to sell in the sealed bags.  Our 4 year old who has never seen an episode of the simpsons loves them!  Do you guys think I should be trying to get the extras on eBay ASAP, or just hold onto them?

If you sell them now on ebay you will be the only person with them in hand.

Everyone else is taking pre-orders.

I think you will triple your money if you sell them now.

Two weeks from now, probably not.

oh wait.... someone has beat you to it....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BART-SIMPSON-LEGO-MINI-FIGURE-CORN-KERNNEL-/331166007685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1b084185

Thanks everyone! My son may just get the Simpson house and his set out of this lucky find.  We'll see how it goes, and I do have the receipt if these suddenly become available everywhere and we don't want to hold on to them.  We've posted a fixed auction asking for $200 shipped.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! My son may just get the Simpson house and his set out of this lucky find.  We'll see how it goes, and I do have the receipt if these suddenly become available everywhere and we don't want to hold on to them.  We've posted a fixed auction asking for $200 shipped.

I'd go back to that Walmart and try and get some more...  you are the only person on ebay with these.

Good luck!  I'm guessing that we either set the price just right or too low with them going so fast.  I'll be getting them packaged and shipped out as soon as I get home for the one buyer who bought both sets.  I'll probably try to get all the extra individual packs posted tonight after my son and wife decide which ones they don't need to keep right now...

Thanks everyone and good luck!

I'm guessing that we either set the price just right or too low with them going so fast.  I'll be getting them packaged and shipped out as soon as I get home for the one buyer who bought both sets.  I'll probably try to get all the extra individual packs posted tonight after my son and wife decide which ones they don't need to keep right now...

either way, that's a sweet CAGR!

Good luck!  I'm guessing that we either set the price just right or too low with them going so fast.  I'll be getting them packaged and shipped out as soon as I get home for the one buyer who bought both sets.  I'll probably try to get all the extra individual packs posted tonight after my son and wife decide which ones they don't need to keep right now...

$200 dollars a box is really too low of a price.  I can see people buying these at $250 plus right now.

Just out of curiosity - how expensive was each packet?

$200 dollars a box is really too low of a price.  I can see people buying these at $250 plus right now.

Just out of curiosity - how expensive was each packet?

it wasn't the whole box for $200.

it was $200 for a 16 figure set.

and he sold 2 16 figure sets for a total of $400.

and both sold in like 15 minutes.

Looks like there have been more then one of these found at a Walmart...

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-the-simpsons-series-minfigures-71005-found-at-walmart/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LegoEverlasting-LegoReviewsNews+%28The+Brick+Fan+-+LEGO+Reviews+%26+News%29

I personally don't like them, but the profit to be made is inevitable.

either way, that's a sweet CAGR!

I think you're definitely right.  They were $3.97 + 8.25% sales tax per package at WalMart.

Yep,not a bad CAGR at all.  By my calculations, making the assumptions of 12% Ebay fees that would equate to a CAGR of:

9629633978455400000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%

That's the best Excel could do.  Actually in short hand it is 9.63 x 10 ^ 148.  Bear in mind that a "Googol" is 10 ^ 100 i.e. 1 with 100 zeros behind it.

So a pretty damn big CAGR.  Pity you couldn't reinvest it at the same rate over a longer time period than your 1 day investment.  you'd probably end up owning all the money in the world in a matter of weeks  :rofl:

• Like 3

I posted an extra sealed Homer minifig on eBay as a 1 day auction before heading to bed this morning mostly to see what they might actually be worth to some people after the 2 full sets went so fast.  So far, I've just received a bunch of questions, but we'll see how it goes.  After Homer sells, I'll still have the following sealed blind bags:

2 Bart

2 Marge

1 Chief Wiggum

1 Itchy

1 Scratchy

My first individual left over sale on eBay to see what they might be worth (1 day $0.01 starting price) did not go nearly as well as the complete sets ending at $3.50 + $5.95 shipping (a loss).

I've posted the rest of the left over individuals up there with a (possibly crazy) starting bid of $10 / Buy it now at $20  for 3 days to see what happens.

While the figures look cool, some of you may be over-estimating the popularity of these figures for anyone over than Gen Xer's who are 30+ years old.  Lego in most cases is purchased for kids by parents, and the most popular themes running today are friends, city, castle, star wars and probably soon super heroes.  Profit is being made around the holidays from parents who must purchase at a market because the supply is not available, or from 25+ year old collectors who want to buy the lego sets they couldn't afford when they were younger that may be out of print.  It would be interesting to take a poll of 50 sub 12 year old kids and ask them if they've ever watched even one episode of The Simpsons.. I bet at least 40 would say no and the other 10 would have seen 1 or 2 episodes at most. In the last year or two we've seen the most popular theme become Minecraft.. the game sold over 13 million copies on Xbox marketplace alone and is somewhat of a growing cultural phenomenom like call of duty.  That will continue to be the most profitable theme. 

Now while most of us remember the simpsons and grew up with it, kids today didn't.  Most of them spent their youth watching Spongebob, Yugioh, and playing games like pokemon and call of duty from 2000 onward.  They obviously are going to comic book movies with their parents these days so the lego super hero sets will also show up on the Christmas list, but they will bypass these Simpsons items for the star wars, minecraft, and super hero sets.  They will probably even want Chima and Ninjago over these sets.  It's all about what is relevant to them today and what they watch on television/movies or play in video games.

I believe the value of these items all comes down to how much lego produces.  If they continue to produce not caring about excess inventory because they want to churn out thousands while they have the licensing then these will not be worth much of anything.  We're talking about plastic here, and ultimately plastic is cheap.  Lego has nothing to lose by overproducing thousands of sets if they have production facility space and can throw excess inventory to walmart, target, or TRU if needed. If they for some reason greatly limit production and only supply the characters for 1 year due to probable lack of demand in regard to focus group results or lego shop at home purchase numbers, then in a few years they will be worth quite a bit when there aren't many available.   I believe the former will occur because of Lego's increased production over the last year, the Lego movie and increased brand recognition of Lego items, and being a profit based business model that has shown us they will produce more and more sets because they have the facilities capable to do that now and the supply chains to offset excess inventory.   If a parent can purchase a lego minifig at $4.50 or a Simpsons house at $200, then see the price of the Minecraft set for $35 which is what their kid always plays everyday and talks about.. it's a no brainer for them to purchase that minecraft set.