71005 - Minifigures - The Simpsons: Series 1

TheDarkness

The Simpsons  

106 members have voted

1. 1. From a scale of one to ten, how well do you believe Lego captured the look of The Simpsons?

• 1 - Ugly
    • 2 - Horrible
    • 3 - Poorly
    • 4 - Not bad
    • 5 - Decent
    • 6 - Spot on
    • 7 - Well done
    • 8 - Superb
    • 9 - Excellent
    • 10 - Perfect

atleast they fixed the eyes on the family, but the redundancy is lame. The MF's lose a little big of value that come w/ the house. I think i'll pass on these.

I do not think it is a "fix". TLG was smart enough to plan 2 versions of these characters to double dip on the popularity.

What no Moe or Barney ? The reason for exclusion is kind of obvious I guess

I'm not personally a Simpsons fan, but that's pretty rare for my generation and probably the next 2 after me (DaYANG I am old). I think these will go crazy. If I get a chance I'll buy a case. Only way they go down in value is if LEGO releases a full Simpsons theme with many of the same figures (like they did with the Movie minifigs).

I don't think it's that rare...I'm not a Simpsons fan either, though I may not be in your generation.  I'm in this weird in-between spot of Gen X and Gen Y.

I just don't see the appeal and the heads are different enough that I can't see them having a place in our home built LEGO city.  I get why their heads need to be different, I just don't think it works with the rest of the LEGO genre.

I can see Simpson's fans being excited about these...but as a whole are they really of the completest mind like the typical Star Wars or LOTR fans where the print varieties of the same character will matter to them as a whole?

I tried to identify a reason to pick these up, but I just can't.  So consider me one less competitor when trying to source and sell this theme.

I don't think it's that rare...I'm not a Simpsons fan either, though I may not be in your generation.  I'm in this weird in-between spot of Gen X and Gen Y.

I just don't see the appeal and the heads are different enough that I can't see them having a place in our home built LEGO city.  I get why their heads need to be different, I just don't think it works with the rest of the LEGO genre.

I can see Simpson's fans being excited about these...but as a whole are they really of the completest mind like the typical Star Wars or LOTR fans where the print varieties of the same character will matter to them as a whole?

I tried to identify a reason to pick these up, but I just can't.  So consider me one less competitor when trying to source and sell this theme.

Yes - Simpsons fans rabid.

There are 4000 PVC action figure auctions going on ebay right now which have been in production for over 2 decades.

There has been continuous production of 2 monthly comics based on the simpsons for 2 decades now - The Simpsons and Bart Simpson along with 2 dozen 3-5 issue miniseries featuring all the side characters.

All the nuts collecting these will HAVE to have the LEGOs too.  and 2 of each, one to actually play with and one to keep safe in case something happens to the first one.

Why do you think LEGO chose the Simpsons to be the first licensed minifigure series...  because they want to make a lot of money.

How do people buy boxes of these, other than via Ebay for an insane markup?

walk into walgreens.  go to the box which should show around May 1, dump the whole box into a cart.

Never been a Simpsons fan in any capacity so definitely won`t be buying anything from this line for myself. For investment, we`ll have to see.

I'm holding out hope that there will be a Moe's bar set released in the future. And a Game of Thrones series set of minifigs too. One day...

Plausible to the first, definite no to the second. Sadly. GoT Lego would be an instant buy for many, many people, no question, but Lego will never venture into X-rated territory. And that`s a great thing so if missing out on a potentially huge line keeps that in check, I`m satisfied. :thumbsup:

I'm holding out hope that there will be a Moe's bar set released in the future. And a Game of Thrones series set of minifigs too. One day...

lego executive said last week in an interview some posted link to here that there will not be a moe's tavern.  Yeah and the Soprano's minifigures will be out at the same as the GoT ones.  I would love a Soprano's lego minifigure set.

The $4 price tag is still going to be hard for me to stomach. 

Yep, that`s quite a bit by any scale. I can think of 2 (a couple more as well, but primarily 2) as to why this is.

1) New molds. Thousands upon thousands of $$$ to produce them, and each figure with a different structure requires an additional mold.

2) AFOLs/TFOLs. Who in the Lego market has the most capital to spend? That would be us folks. And parents/grandparents, but they buy in large for the younger ones. Why not milk the cow a bit more know that a theme like this is targeted at an older audience? Kids will undoubtedly buy these as well, but there is definetly a larger amount of parental buying drive going on with a theme like this. More desire to buy means people are more likely to shell out more $$$, and clearly Lego is happy to capitalize on that. Just like practically every other business.

I'll buy 4 $1 candy bars before these unless they are flipping like hotcakes. :sizzle:

-I don't always go shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

Good one! Go with Charleston Chews. Delicious! :thumbsup:

These are gonna look great displayed with the house.

From an investment viewpoint I think I'll pass.  There may be some short term opportunities if there is a huge initial demand, maybe selling to other countries or finding the rarer distributed ones from the box.  Longer term I think any fan or potential collector will grab these at retail.  There won't be many people in 3-5 years discovering the line and wanting to go back and collect them, and even if there are a few that demand could be well sated by previous collectors selling off theirs. 

So i'm sure this has been discussed but now that we have a release date on these is that the official end for the series 12 movie figs? I haven't seen them lately and was wondering if they are already done. If so would a sealed case be a good investment if I can still find one?

I would think it would be a good idea. If you think about it, what happens this Fall when millions more people see the LEGO Movie on disc. If they aren't available then you could probably fetch a nice price for these. IMO

There is a huge Simpsons fan base.  Like this is the closest thing to a Star Wars fan base - way bigger than Harry Potter.

The Simpsons is the longest running scripted show on TV.

I do hope there was some sarcasm present in this comment. True about it being the longest running scripted show, but that only shows you how long that fan base has been sustained. Nothing in terms of growth. Arguably SW represents the largest fan base of all time for any type of content. But that is debatable when you compare it to another medium, say video games, where Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto would more than likely top the list at this time. Not trying to be mean, but there is no way the Simpsons has a "bigger" fan base than Harry Potter. There is just no way. LOTR is huge, and I`d argue that is not as big as Harry Potter.

Also, look at the age of the fan base. SW-Everyone (apparently I`m in a select few who is not a 'fan' per se, but I could never argue how much "oopmh" is behind the punch this series packs. No argument there, period.) Harry Potter, almost entirely kids/teens. Which means the parents get to "invest" as well xD

Simpsons is an adult based show. The content is for teens as well, but it`s the adults who are intended to pick up on the gags/jokes/spoofs/etc. Most if not all kids cannot interact with a show like this for that reason. They are not engaged in the way and adult is. No, this theme is aimed squarely at the AFOLs and TFOLs.

One more thing to consider, when the theme officially debuts later this year and the sets are placed in the Lego aisle, yes, the Lego aisle. Next to SW, Batman/Marvel, Ninjago, how do you think it will hold up? 7-8/10 of those kids are grabbing a set from one of those themes, and 1-3 of the remaining will go for something else. There is no way anyone can place Simpsons anything, be it Lego or whatever, on that scale. The good thing about AFOLs is they have money, so if you (generally) are able to capitalize on that, absolutely, go for it. Unless some shred of evidence flies out of left field and represents something other that this, I`m sticking with other themes :thumbsup:

What I have heared from friends of mine is they all are waiting for months now for those Simpsons minifigs to come out. They are not investors, just collectors. 

So if Lego did not produce enough in the first wave. And it goes on sold out. There is a big chance for us investors to earn some cash.

I like them alot and I have very good faith in this theme!

• Like 1

Looking through the treads of this post, it looks like those who buy will be collectors more than investors. If the price drops later due to lack of demand, I might get another set of 16 (1 for display and one for long term investment)

I am a big simpsons fan so I definitely can't miss this!

Compared with the Simpsons house (71006) this is much more compact to collect and display, plus I really don't think it was "that" good

Personally opinion only :sweat: