10212 - UCS: Imperial Shuttle

Spartikis

Indeed. I have also noticed a bit of a trend where sets take off after EOL, and then plateau or even dip a bit. I think that's due to many people seeing the high price increase and clamoring to sell and bank the profits. That results in a bit of over supply on the secondary market dampening the price. Many sets recover to have "normal" growth after that.

I wonder if a lot of this has to do with the fact that it's just the christmas season and people know this is a good time to dump a lot of sets pretty quickly. Honestly, if it was me, I wouldn't mind dropping the price a bit on my sets to sell knowing that I would sell them faster than any other time in the year. You have to think, that some of these sets are still selling for quite a bit over retail. If you drop the price $40, but sell a few additional, you've made up the difference anyways.

With 10212, it will go back up in price no doubt. I'm glad I bought it when I did. If I didn't get out of my dark ages when I did, who knows, in a year from now we could easily see this hit over $500 normal, if not $600+

I wonder if a lot of this has to do with the fact that it's just the christmas season and people know this is a good time to dump a lot of sets pretty quickly.

Yes it probably is to some degree.  That's the "December effect" FcB referred to that I agreed with.  He wrote a couple of very good blogs examining the evidence on it.  Have a read here and here

• 1 month later...

I have a bunch of Imperial shuttle sets and 2 of the boxes were not in great shape so i decided to open them so that when i sell i know if the poly bags are sealed..so 1 set was fine with all 24 poly bags sealed the 2nd one had 2 poly bags opened/ripped and pieces were all inside the box.. now please help me out how should i proceed on this to verify should i open all polybags and count every piece or put bag the pieces in the 2 poly bags and tape them..I am quite sure no piece came out of the box...but still need some advice

Just inventory the loose pieces using bricklink. Since any specific piece is usually only in 1 poly bag, your totals should match. Sometimes there are 2 duplicate bags - if that is the case, your 1 bag should be half the total. 

I just built the 10212 shuttle in November last year and this is exactly right. Parts only appeared in 1 bag (thank goodness because the bags weren't numbered). Hopefully it wasn't any of the small parts, but bricklink also shows the "extra" pieces so you should be able to inventory everything.

• 1 month later...

Ok so this is a bit of a weird one but here it goes...(its going to be a bit long)

So I got a 10 percent off coupon from ebay (first ever) so I wanted to target something exclusive/high end to get my moneys worth on the discount.

Being in Canada we dont have as much choice but I came across a 10212 Imperial Shuttle sealed. Ended up winning the auction for 401 Cdn plus 40 shipping (minus 10 percent) this came out to only about 50 bucks over Cdn retail which was my max.  Looking to keep this likely until just before the new Star Wars movie comes out to sell. 

Box was not mint noted it had a tear (which turned out to be a crease) After winning the auction went to pay immediately from my BlackBerry. Got an error that couldn't pay for the item via mobile, had to use PC site. (never seen that before)

Got home that evening and tried to pay from PC. Got an error that the users paypal account could not accept the payment (another first) 

Messaged the seller to ask whats up. He indicated that I needed to pay from directly from Paypal and gave me the email address to send it to. I didn't love this. Also this prevented me from using my 10 percent off coupon. I went back and forth with the seller. Eventually called ebay. Ebay said it was fine for the seller to request this and they would give me a 40 dollar voucher to use on a future ebay purchase. Fine I was ok with that.

Went ahead and paid. Guy shipped the Shuttle super fast, gave me tracking (although didnt update ebay as shipped just messaged me the tracking #) Got the Shuttle, double boxed and well packed so no complaints there at all. Box was pretty much as expected and I was happy. 

Gave the seller good feedback. And assumed that was that.

Today I get a message from the seller and he asked me to accept a cancellation on the item so he can save the fees. And he sent a cancellation case to me. So I will deal with that (not sure exactly what to do but I can report his sketchy request I assume)

But now I am worried because of all the shadiness of this guy if maybe my set isnt actually factory sealed and it has something missing and he somehow put the seals back and when I go to sell I will be screwed. The tape looks ok, a little loose. I can send pics if that helps but what is everyone's thoughts? Should I open it and confirm contents. How will that affect resale when I go to sell. 

Thanks! 

Definitely report this character to eBay, asap. He needs gone in a hurry and eBay will help him on his journey.

I would open the set because of this guys sparkly shenanigans - any problems and you can file with either eBay or PayPal.

It shouldn't affect value to the majority of your buyers - a few will be sticklers for a new and unopened set, but new and "contents verified" (and you can even show photos of all the bags, state that for your buyer's protection you opened the kit to verify it was complete, etc.) can actually be a good selling point that some buyers will appreciate.

• Like 2

First off weigh the set and see if it matches the weight in the price guide, second do not accept the cancelation and avoid the seller in the future. I would also let ebay know what's up, so long as you communicated through eBay they will be able to see what the seller is up to.

Ok so this is a bit of a weird one but here it goes...(its going to be a bit long)

So I got a 10 percent off coupon from ebay (first ever) so I wanted to target something exclusive/high end to get my moneys worth on the discount.

Being in Canada we dont have as much choice but I came across a 10212 Imperial Shuttle sealed. Ended up winning the auction for 401 Cdn plus 40 shipping (minus 10 percent) this came out to only about 50 bucks over Cdn retail which was my max.  Looking to keep this likely until just before the new Star Wars movie comes out to sell. 

Box was not mint noted it had a tear (which turned out to be a crease) After winning the auction went to pay immediately from my BlackBerry. Got an error that couldn't pay for the item via mobile, had to use PC site. (never seen that before)

Got home that evening and tried to pay from PC. Got an error that the users paypal account could not accept the payment (another first) 

Messaged the seller to ask whats up. He indicated that I needed to pay from directly from Paypal and gave me the email address to send it to. I didn't love this. Also this prevented me from using my 10 percent off coupon. I went back and forth with the seller. Eventually called ebay. Ebay said it was fine for the seller to request this and they would give me a 40 dollar voucher to use on a future ebay purchase. Fine I was ok with that.

Went ahead and paid. Guy shipped the Shuttle super fast, gave me tracking (although didnt update ebay as shipped just messaged me the tracking #) Got the Shuttle, double boxed and well packed so no complaints there at all. Box was pretty much as expected and I was happy. 

Gave the seller good feedback. And assumed that was that.

Today I get a message from the seller and he asked me to accept a cancellation on the item so he can save the fees. And he sent a cancellation case to me. So I will deal with that (not sure exactly what to do but I can report his sketchy request I assume)

But now I am worried because of all the shadiness of this guy if maybe my set isnt actually factory sealed and it has something missing and he somehow put the seals back and when I go to sell I will be screwed. The tape looks ok, a little loose. I can send pics if that helps but what is everyone's thoughts? Should I open it and confirm contents. How will that affect resale when I go to sell. 

Thanks! 

That factory sealed tape from lego is not meant to be able to be resealed after its been ripped off. Just like those on xbox and playstation boxes.