10212 - UCS: Imperial Shuttle

Spartikis

Ok that's it! After my first little brinklink adventure (4 poe x wing figters (polybag version)), I decided that I would start bricklinking this set together. First orders are out! It is actually quite cool to do this searching combining etc. Most expensive will be the stickers (gotta have that plaque ;-)   ). 

I figure the inside parts will be used bricks and the exterior (white parts) will be new. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Emielvk said:

Ok that's it! After my first little brinklink adventure (4 poe x wing figters (polybag version)), I decided that I would start bricklinking this set together. First orders are out! It is actually quite cool to do this searching combining etc. Most expensive will be the stickers (gotta have that plaque ;-)   ). 

I figure the inside parts will be used bricks and the exterior (white parts) will be new. 

I look forwards seeing your project develop

On 12/4/2015 at 7:00 AM, jaisonline said:

Too bad I broke out of my dark ages in late 2012 or would have picked up more than just 1 of these.  It had all the indicators of being a winner even with my limited Lego investing knowledge then.  The 1983 Kenner version was a very popular toy and has a cult following like other semi-popular ships.  Ugh.

Would love to have one for my personal collection but dont want to spend 600 bucks at this point.

I just finished bricklinking this, but substituted some inner colors, used some 'used' parts (some are bad enough I'd like to replace later), and some from my collection. Total cost around $300 usd. Maybe a bit more - I didn't optimize my orders well enough. 

I only used 6 of the white convex slopes, which are expensive (four are used for the display stand, which can be any color). Saved ~$15 there. I also did not buy the plaque sticker. 

Some of the white technic liftarms and slopes are expensive in bulk too, notably the 4x4 bent ones and the 1x16 beams. I actually bought some extra 4x4 liftarms as I figured they're one of the linchpin parts of this set, as you need 32 of them. Also bought some extra of the Slope 75 2 x 2 x 3. Note to bricklinkers on this item: there are solid studs and hollow studs for this part. It may be easier to find the solid stud ones, as the hollow studs are on the inventory of the shuttle.    

Overall I'm happy, it's a gorgeous and huge model. I can never sell it due to the substitutions though.

Edit: I can post a few photos later, as some of the used parts from my collection are bit yellow and I'd like to replace them. 

Overall $600 ish for a new set is certainly a premium, but if you have high standards and want your model pristine, I could easily see that being a better option. All of the sellers with high quantity linchpin parts for this set charge a premium, as they're aware enough to know. I spent quite a bit of time on bricklink finding the lowest number of shops in the cheapest way possible, but it was a lot of fun as I enjoy that sort of database work. 

Edited by Muffin Cup
more details
  • Like 1

I just finished bricklinking this, but substituted some inner colors, used some 'used' parts, and some from my collection. Total cost around $300 usd.

I only used 6 of the white convex slopes, which are expensive.

Some of the white technic liftarms and slopes are expensive in bulk too, notably the 4x4 bent ones and the 1x16 beams.

Overall Im happy, it's a gorgeous and huge model. I can never sell it due to the substitutions though.

Photos?!

;)

1 hour ago, Anakin_Skywalker said:

Photos?!

;)

I'll work on that! Sadly some of my 'used' white bits are a bit yellowed and I'm looking at replacing them - it just wasn't necessary for me before I built the model. 

I'm a bit bashful to show mine since a substantial number of the parts are in used condition and don't shine like the other pristine from-box shuttles I so often see pictures of.

By the way - I've edited my post to include a few more details on my experience in bricklinking the set. 

20 minutes ago, Muffin Cup said:

I'll work on that! Sadly some of my 'used' white bits are a bit yellowed and I'm looking at replacing them - it just wasn't necessary for me before I built the model. 

I'm a bit bashful to show mine since a substantial number of the parts are in used condition and don't shine like the other pristine from-box shuttles I so often see pictures of.

By the way - I've edited my post to include a few more details on my experience in bricklinking the set. 

Don't replace the yellow bits. Go to the drug store and get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide for $2.50 and find yourself a glass bowl or casserole dish that your significant other won't kill you for putting hydrogen peroxide in. Throw the peroxide in the bowl, add said Lego parts and put out in direct sunlight for as long as it takes to make them white again. You can also use a piece of tin foil under the bowl to reflect back more sun. Technically, to get the best effect, you should also add a quarter teaspoon full of an Oxyclean type laundry powder. (I can't remember what the exact ingredient in Oxyclean is but it is the "oxy" part) The hydrogen peroxide on its own will do it though - just over a much longer period of time.

I had a very yellowed set 4999 - Vestas Wind Turbine - and after about 8 hours in the summer sun even the yellowest of parts were bright white again. It saved me for sure.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, shortyz said:

Why did this set do so good... not hoarded?

Only in the last year has it done well compared to the previous couple of years. From 2012 - 2014 it stalled at £300 - 350. Based on £245 RRP over 2 years it performed quite poorly for such a great set. Over the last year has seen a few people buying them for investment and stock has been greatly dwindled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shortyz said:

Why did this set do so good... not hoarded?

10212 wasn't always performing well.  For 2 years or so after retirement, it's appreciation was steady yet slow.  It wasn't a very popular Lego set despite being popular in the vintage Kenner universe.  Not sure why but opinions have been posted before and after retirement. In late 2012, we didn't have as many as resellers so the set wasn't hoarded.  Fast-forward to 2016, the set is still in-demand and a nice investment for those still holding it.  

Don't want to derail this thread too much but after reading the blog on this one (and possible pit falls of bricklinking it) I have decided to throw caution to the wind and start trying again.

Does anyone one have any photo's/comments on how 10212 compares to 75054 from a display point of view?  Or are they not even in the same ballpark?  If anything I'd say this one might get a second burst barring a remake.  Kids now get the 75054 also a set AFOLs have a bit of love for. But from what I've gathered 10212 is just an amazing display piece and 75054 could just be the bait to hook you in :)

13 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Don't want to derail this thread too much but after reading the blog on this one (and possible pit falls of bricklinking it) I have decided to throw caution to the wind and start trying again.

Does anyone one have any photo's/comments on how 10212 compares to 75054 from a display point of view?  Or are they not even in the same ballpark?  If anything I'd say this one might get a second burst barring a remake.  Kids now get the 75054 also a set AFOLs have a bit of love for. But from what I've gathered 10212 is just an amazing display piece and 75054 could just be the bait to hook you in :)

I believe he means the 75094.

Does anyone one have any photo's/comments on how 10212 compares to 75054 from a display point of view?  Or are they not even in the same ballpark?  If anything I'd say this one might get a second burst barring a remake.  Kids now get the 75054 also a set AFOLs have a bit of love for. But from what I've gathered 10212 is just an amazing display piece and 75054 could just be the bait to hook you in

Not even in the same ballpark.

IMPERIAL SHUTTLE ( 10212 vs 75094 )

56a4d9fc2a937_ImageUploadedByBrickpicker

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I believe he means the 75094.

Yup - thanks (hangs head in shame).

9 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Not even in the same ballpark.

Bloomin heck - thanks for those!  Honestly think if anyone wanted 75094 as a display model and then saw 10212.... its a case of open the wallet and just keep dumping those bills on the table!  Have to say that of all the UCS vs regular play set comparisons there are barring AT-ST this is the biggest no contest.

Consider my derailment over.

• Like 1

On 22.1.2016 at 9:07 PM, Muffin Cup said:

I just finished bricklinking this, but substituted some inner colors, used some 'used' parts (some are bad enough I'd like to replace later), and some from my collection. Total cost around $300 usd. Maybe a bit more - I didn't optimize my orders well enough. 

I only used 6 of the white convex slopes, which are expensive (four are used for the display stand, which can be any color).

That is exactly what I did, too. Bought 4 light grey convex slopes for the display stand (and meanwhile replaced them with white ones I recently got very cheap). Some of the used white bricks for the wings have to be replaced, sometime...

I even bought the sticker sheet (a solid remake!). I only replaced about 10 parts (grey <--> another grey) which cannot be seen from the outside. All in all it came up to 263€. That is ok for me.

This model looks really great on display and is far superior the smaller 75094 (although that one looks quite good and accurate).

I wish they had motorized the wings, instead of just putting in a crank.  

One thing I did was mix up the gears and when I cranked, one side of the wing went up and the other went down.  Details, details. 

Had 12 of these, sold 11, just have the one remaining.  T'was a good set to buy, although they really should have used a bigger box.

Edited by brettj666