9526 - Palpatine's Arrest

mahler24

they obviously overproduced this set since it has been on sale for a solid 2-3 weeks now, both at TRU and LEGO Shop at Home. So this means that they are clearing inventory and that it is probably near it's EOL, but is also means that a lot of folks out there are stocking up on it. In my mind still a 7/10 investment wise, as long as you get it in the $70 range and you need to be able to sit on this set for 1-2years since it will be quite some time before it will reach MSRP, probably around the time the new SW comes out.

• 1 month later...

My Lego store has this on sale for $63.  Two questions....why on sale if LEGO Shop at Home has for $89 ?   Is this a good buy ?

I'm doing everything I can to find one over here in Spain.

I love the minifigs, that's why I want it. I think that they are/were exclusives to that set.

My Lego store has this on sale for $63. Two questions....why on sale if LEGO Shop at Home has for $89 ? Is this a good buy ?

This was included as a free set with specific TRU purchases in December and has been discounted significantly in both Canada and the US (Lego store and other retailer) 63 is as cheap as you may get it, but with the large giveaways, it may not appreciate well. It is also a boring looking set.

I plan to hold mine until the new movies come out to generate new Star Wars interest - seems like the best option.

As for the extra discount, that looks like a 25% clearance which is standard.

I'm no Lego Store expert, but from the little I know the local manager has discretion to mark down sets even if they aren't on sale online. Or if they are on sale online, the store manager can choose to discount even farther. Example is the Unimog, it was listed at $159 (I think) for the winter sale before it sold out but many of us found it in brick and mortar stores for under $140. Shop at Home is a different entity than the brick and mortar stores and every manager is different.

As for the set, I bought (5) of them when they were on sale at TRU ($59.99) during the holiday craziness (got them on average for less than that with all of TRU's promo gift cards). So far I've sold one, am in the process of parting out (2), and have one for sale. I'll probably give the 5th one to my kids because they definitely want the minifigs.

it prob won't do well and it's been around for a while.   Palapine's Shuttle wasn't doing all that well the last time I checked and that contains Vader.  The prequel sets are hit or miss...with more misses.

to get a better gauge on 9526, see if many are being sold on bricklink and ebay (quantity is key here).  then look at the sold prices.

btw, i think it is a cool set.  just a very risky investment since i don't foresee much demand to offset the supply.

Note : Retired Star Wars ships usually outperform playsets excluding Cloud City.

I am not including Vader's Transformation nor Ultimate Lightsaber dual since they were released 8+ years ago and with a movie.

Let's look at somewhat similar set since 2010.

Palpatine's Shuttle's MSRP was $60. It was also discounted during it's 18 month retail life (note : it could still be found in stores for a good chunk of 2012 after Lego.com sold out in Dec 2011). On bricklink currently, over 10 sets can be had in North America for less than $79. Almost 45 sets can be bought between $80 and $90. Since July 2013, 27 sets were sold for an avg price of $72. Brickpicker has this set's new price as $68.71. So if you paid close to MSRP, you are about breaking even after fees and sales tax paid. So if you're buy-in would have had to be around $35-$40 excluding sales tax for a decent 80%ish return after seller fees.

There are other prequel sets that aren't fairing much better. Heck, the original trilogy isn't farimg much better except popular ships like Slave 1, AT-AT, etc...

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/sets.cfm?theme=89&year=2010

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/sets.cfm?theme=89&year=2011

All I'm saying is that investing money can be better spent elsewhere even if this 9526 set was retailing for $60. To me, the demand isn't there enough to push it to even the $110 mark in the next 12-15 months- heck TRU was giving them away and lego was trying to bundle them with watches or something. It never sold at retail and occasionally moves (changes hands) when heavily discounted or given away for free. This is like another 10227 B-Wing story without the UCS stamp and famous $99 sale. As least 10227's demand is picking up steam.

At $63 it`s definitely worth it for the figures. There are some good ones in there. Honestly, I`d suggest looking at parting the whole thing out if you were to buy, there is probably a bit more money quicker in doing that. Some people from what I`ve seen think it`s a decent set for investment, others not so much. It`s not a great looking set IMHO, but the figures are decent, and there are some good parts in there. 

• 1 month later...

So, Palpatine's Arrest doesn't even show up on LEGO LEGO Shop at Home (US). Usually even for retired items, they stay there and say... Retired, right? Has anyone ever experienced this before? My local TRU has about 100 of these sitting in the rafters. The only thing I could think of is they don't want price matching, so LEGO agreed to take it down from LEGO Shop at Home temporarily? 

Any thoughts?

So, Palpatine's Arrest doesn't even show up on LEGO S@H (US). Usually even for retired items, they stay there and say... Retired, right? Has anyone ever experienced this before? My local TRU has about 100 of these sitting in the rafters. The only thing I could think of is they don't want price matching, so LEGO agreed to take it down from S@H temporarily? 

Any thoughts?

It's been erased from the Jedi Archives.

• Like 9

I ordered 2 on shop@home, still in backordered status.  Before it disappeared, it showed that it wouldn't be shipped until may, then it got bumped down to march.  I'm kind of wondering if I'm getting them at all.  I might call it see what's going on.

I ordered 2 on shop@home, still in backordered status.  Before it disappeared, it showed that it wouldn't be shipped until may, then it got bumped down to march.  I'm kind of wondering if I'm getting them at all.  I might call it see what's going on.

Agreed.

Either way the set has some nice figures but unless you are getting them in the $40 range I don't see the worth for investment.

• Like 2

i think it's a cool set and nearly bought one at 50% off. 

it took a 50% sale to clear these out on lego.com. while it quickly disappeared during the sale and was a TRU exclusive (in the US)  it was a 'below avg' seller since 2011.  my gut tells me we will be able to pick this up for years to come between $60 and $90.  there just isn't much demand for it other than the Palpatine minifig.

Agreed.

Either way the set has some nice figures but unless you are getting them in the $40 range I don't see the worth for investment.

Agreed.   This wasn't even on my radar until it went to 50% off, and even then I only bought 2.  Not a huge disappointment if I don't end up getting them, and I still got the free MM from the order.