What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 5 years later...
Ugg, if I knew I was going to have that kind of return, I'd grab the 7 or 8 for $10 each sitting on the shelf at store near me.

I just saw one at Walgreens for the first time today. Hadn't seen them anywhere else, though I don't really look at the constructs until they're in the clearance bin. Looks like they sell decently on eBay too.
  • Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, TabbyBoy said:

I already sold my GE & TH sets for a tidy profit at the last peak. But, I still have one of each in my collection. I've just found a factory box with 3x R5 which I'll sell for £1000 "if" it reaches that! ;-)

I think R5 will have a short window like last time. If it's in R1 (won't see it for months), LEGO will surely resurrect it, right?

The LM will be great to pair with the WH and can be posted at no extra cost.

The FBs amd HHs appear to have reached a plateau so I'll list a few after Xmas.

HH peaked last Halloween, at least on eBay US.  This Halloween it was down about 5%.  Glad I'm down to one.  There are still over 100 sellers...

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, asharerin said:

I have never seen a movie cause a spike in a retired Lego set's price. All the new movie will do is cause more clueless resellers to list in expectation of a spike and drive the price further down. A spike will happen once excess stocks are cleared. Going to be a few more years for Red 5, possibly longer if TLG keeps making mistakes and damaging the brand and its collectability.

Ep. VII almost certainly spiked 10221, 10225 and 9493 last year.  Same way Rogue One is spiking 75054 now.  None of these vehicles is actually in a recent movie in its Lego form (except for a cameo by R2 in Ep. VII), but Star Wars publicity reminds people that, well, they like Star Wars.  9493 benefitted from the new Lego X-wings looking like crap, while 75054 benefitted from Rogue One featuring the similar AT-ACT, but Lego not actually releasing that set (yet, anyway).  So it can happen.  The dismal performance of 10240 remains a mystery however.  Lots of sets are hoarded.  Lots of sets are overpriced.  10221 was overpriced (by price per piece and price per pound) relative to half or more (UCS and regular) SW sets.  But it shot up.  The problem with 10240 is on the demand side.  Call it a $150 (fair value) set.  It still should have been able to hold $300 a year after retirement.  10225 doubled in about six months.  And it's a blocky, ugly goofy droid (I love my R2-selling profits, but I still hate the set; had to make myself buy them).

Guest TabbyBoy

1x 10240 Red 5 X-Wing in mint box but, broken seal for £120 cash - £35 profit. I just can't understand why this superb set has tanked so badly while the 9493 is often selling for 2x RRP. I've really had it with Star Wars... "Too many cooks spoiling the broth!"

4 hours ago, GhostDad said:

Ep. VII almost certainly spiked 10221, 10225 and 9493 last year.  Same way Rogue One is spiking 75054 now.  None of these vehicles is actually in a recent movie in its Lego form (except for a cameo by R2 in Ep. VII), but Star Wars publicity reminds people that, well, they like Star Wars.  9493 benefitted from the new Lego X-wings looking like crap, while 75054 benefitted from Rogue One featuring the similar AT-ACT, but Lego not actually releasing that set (yet, anyway).  So it can happen.  The dismal performance of 10240 remains a mystery however.  Lots of sets are hoarded.  Lots of sets are overpriced.  10221 was overpriced (by price per piece and price per pound) relative to half or more (UCS and regular) SW sets.  But it shot up.  The problem with 10240 is on the demand side.  Call it a $150 (fair value) set.  It still should have been able to hold $300 a year after retirement.  10225 doubled in about six months.  And it's a blocky, ugly goofy droid (I love my R2-selling profits, but I still hate the set; had to make myself buy them).

I think people are a little X-Wing-tired. The fact that there are currently still 2 X-Wings out there (though I haven't seen a Poe in any retail store recently, so that one might be done) might get many people to settle for the mid-size one versus the UCS version. Also, you might be seeing LEGO fatigue - all those AFOLs awoken by TLM probably either already have their "must-have sets from the past" or are too tapped out to consider plonking down a lot of money.

Guest TabbyBoy
11 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Train Station 60050 for $89.99 shipped. Ugh, $18 to ship that stupidly long box. But, $41 buy-in

I think LEGO do it on purpose to make resellers pay higher postage rates. Most sets in the UK are "just a little too long or just a little too wide" to go as a Small Parcel. Another reason is to force resellers to buy new sized boxes eg. VW Camper... I had 100 of 500x400x100mm boxes that fitted the original perfectly and now the bar stewards change the box size. "For environmental reasons" is Bovine Scatology as the new boxes weigh a few grammes more than the old ones telling me that more cardboard is used.

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I think LEGO do it on purpose to make resellers pay higher postage rates. Most sets in the UK are "just a little too long or just a little too wide" to go as a Small Parcel. Another reason is to force resellers to buy new sized boxes eg. VW Camper... I had 100 of 500x400x100mm boxes that fitted the original perfectly and now the bar stewards change the box size. "For environmental reasons" is Bovine Scatology as the new boxes weigh a few grammes more than the old ones telling me that more cardboard is used.

I hate the move by Lego to smaller boxes.  If efficiency were truly their motivation, they'd move more to cube shapes to maximize the volume/surface area ratio.  Anyway, cardboard is about the most recycled material on the planet.  Environmental impact is just about zero.  And some boxes now are actually too small.  Spaceport, for example, really wants another half inch of height.  The bags of pieces get all jammed together in a corner or something, creating a lump, and then the boxes won't stack without falling over.  Plus I worry about leaving lots of weight resting directly on the lego pieces for a year or more.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  I like big boxes and I cannot lie.

60 euro of Super Heroes minifigs (break even the buy-in prices of parted out sets)

Bricklink order with 50 euro's of parts and a polybag (Creator Parrot, got it as a freebie)

75058 MTT for 125 euro after fee's and shipping (buy-in was 55)

Reindeer polybag for 7.16 after fee's (buy-in was 2.6)

Non-Lego: 

A music vinyl for 115 after fee's and shipping (buy-in was 33.57)

It was a good day!

70410 Soldiers Outpost + 70412 Soldiers Fort Combo - $105 shipped ($52.50 Buy-In)

4477 T-16 Skyhopper
4478 Geonosian Fighter
7103 Jedi Duel 
7113 Tusken Raider Encounter
7139 Ewok Attack 
7190 Millennium Falcon 
7203 Jedi Defense 1 
7204 Jedi Defense 2 
4500 Snowspeeder 
- $390 shipped, to one seller, private sale no ebay fees ($159.75 Buy-In)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Scooby Doo Bundle. Mansion, Mystery Machine, Plane £165

Buy in £72

Nae wonder i cant sell MM for £140 if ppl are selling that bundle at £165.....undercutters....

(just saying in jest..so plz dont take it seriously.  Mine r put away for next year). 

6 hours ago, MoHu said:

Nae wonder i cant sell MM for £140 if ppl are selling that bundle at £165.....undercutters....

(just saying in jest..so plz dont take it seriously.  Mine r put away for next year). 

Haha no worries.  I was going with the market that seemed to be 100 for mansion 45 for mystery machine and plane thrown in at rrp bundled to save on postage. I'm holding some back too.

Also now sold

Minecraft Crafting Box £69.99 Buy in £23.99

9398 4x4 monster truck $280
9464 Vampyre Hearse $43 x2
6857 Dynamic Duo Funhouse $60 x5
75004 z-headhunter $60
2016 Xmas soldier ornament $13 x2
42002 Hot Rod $48
40106 elves workshop $28 x4
40138 Holiday Train $48 x5
75005 Rancor Pit $100 x2
6858 Catwoman Catcycle $20 x2