10237 - Tower of Orthanc

And back to SOLD OUT again, SAH. By tomorrow it should be done for good.

I'm not so optimistic about that, at least here in the states.  I still think this is blipping in and out until January.  It seems like this set is obtainable on a daily basis for an hour or so at many of the big retailers. 

I will admit, I really dig this set, as I have built it, and will more than likely always keep it.  It's also probably one of the better exclusives to have from this year, but it's going to be a long term hold I think.  I think this one goes more like GE than HH in the first year.  I could be wrong..  Still, it's a great set...and I think long term people that may not know it exists, will be attracted to it when they first stumble onto it's existence. 

I'm sure that the stock levels are decided regionally (hence retired in other markets yet available in the USA); I would speculate that the projections were that it would sell better in North America than Europe and they are slowly getting rid of the remaining stock. There may still be warehouses full of them.

Many people here were convinced that the LOTR license would expire at the end of 2014, and bought TOO accordingly. Moreover, ever since TOO reappeared in early 2015, it has been hoarded even more since it is one of the most obvious retirement candidates.

TOO is an excellent set and one of my favorites ever made, but any hopes of a big spike due to an unexpected retirement (like Town Hall, Haunted House, or R2-D2) have long since vanished, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I think people hoped it would be done earlier, but it's been out just over 2 years with sporadic availability the last month or two.  Any set that is ripe for retirement is going to be massively hoarded, but that doesn't mean it's not a good investment.  It's just going to be a longer and slower climb, but that's the LEGO secondary market we are dealing with today.  The good thing is LOTR is likely a theme that won't be revisited by LEGO.

• Like 1

More than the actual life it´s the availability that counts. Not many people got this oe on discount nor was it freely available for much of it´s run and also it did tend to get overlookes as people sucked up red 5´s and pet shops earlier on. It will be an interesting set to keep tabs on.

Many people here were convinced that the LOTR license would expire at the end of 2014, and bought TOO accordingly. Moreover, ever since TOO reappeared in early 2015, it has been hoarded even more since it is one of the most obvious retirement candidates.

TOO is an excellent set and one of my favorites ever made, but any hopes of a big spike due to an unexpected retirement (like Town Hall, Haunted House, or R2-D2) have long since vanished, in my opinion.

i don't think that many sets are hoarded. Though demand of this set will not be as large as that of modular too. This is be a gradual appreciation as lord of the rings is still the most widely read fantasy book of all times. This set is unique even amongst other lego exclusives.

• Like 1

i don't think that many sets are hoarded. Though demand of this set will not be as large as that of modular too. This is be a gradual appreciation as lord of the rings is still the most widely read fantasy book of all times. This set is unique even amongst other lego exclusives.

Shh...Nothing to see here folks...keep movin...

• Like 3

Yeah, but think about the target audience. How many Sci Fi / Fantasy fans have enough alone time to devote to building an expensive lego set.

Oh right, lots of alone time. Lots.

• Like 6