10237 - Tower of Orthanc

On EU Ebay the starting price is now 320 euros new. less than 3 months since EOL Seems there wasn´t a big QFLL buy in for this set as it was not widely stocked or discounted. That´s fine by me and hopefully it will continue to rise steadily over time as a long term keeper.

• Like 2

To add to the conversation, this set is a head turner. It's unlike any other set made by lego. I know many people who feel the same as myself. I'm not a LOTR fan either. I don't hate it. I simply haven't given the books or movies any time. Despite that, it transcends the fact that I could care less about LOTR. I plan to keep one of the ones I bought. Perhaps I'm being simple minded about it, but that's why I'm investing in this one. I think It's going to be a big winner in the long run. But I'm not relying on a quick turnaround to generate income off of this like some of the people on this site. This is a hobby to me. I'll use the proceeds of sales to pay for other sets that I want. So my investment strategy is to either grab the sets that truly stand out or ones that are such an awesome deal, I can't possibly lose. This one stands out.

• Like 5

I just just received my ToO from Lego.  Great packaging, the box was near perfect.  The date code showed 40R5.  I'm assuming it's the last batch made....I hope anyway.

now, do I open it and put it together or save it for resale?!  It's my only set.

Edited by Vader888

I just just received my ToO from Lego.  Great packaging, the box was near perfect.  The date code showed 40R5.  I'm assuming it's the last batch made....I hope anyway.

now, do I open it and put it together or save it for resale?!  It's my only set.

Speaking as a reseller, OPEN IT and BUILD IT!

• Like 1

open it. The ring tells you to.

A lot of folks on here recommend finding a great deal on a used one to build. Then you can hold onto this sealed set for a couple years and hopefully double your money.

The time window for finding a great deal on used is probably shrinking.

I've received sets in decent shape from LEGO. With countless orders, I don't think I've ever received great packaging from them. Better than TRU and Kmart's no packing, yes.

I think the entire Lord of the Rings theme is going to be a success.  When you look at what some of the first wave sets like Shelob Attacks, Wizard Battle, Uruk-hai Army, and Gandalf Arrives are doing now a year after full retirement (all these sets are over 100% rrp), I think that bodes well for what the second wave with TOO, Council of Elrond, Black Gate, and Pirate Ship Ambush will do next year after they are gone for over a year.  Sure, some sets like Helms Deep, Orc Forge, Weathertop, and the Mines of Moria haven't gone far over 50% yet, but you should expect some variance in a full theme.  Still, no one is losing money if they bought these when they were at retail...

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 2

I think a sales rep told me 2 or 4 of these together was pretty badass. Has anybody ever seen that? I can't find anything on the Googles

You can always elongate the tower or add extra base to it.  Many have wanted to make a tower of Barad-dûr (you have to say this in Christopher Lee's Saruman accent) and there's several submissions to ideas for this as well as you-tube videos. Personally I'm buying several sets just for the Ents so I can do a Ents Go To War scene followed by a Ents Gone Wild video :P

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/60514