10237 - Tower of Orthanc

1 hour ago, landphieran said:

I am very interested to see how well the sets that are "anticipated" to retire, appreciate. I don't believe this type of continuing restock happened last year (veteran members correct me if i'm wrong).  

I think people are becoming very weary of going too deep because sets continue to hang around and its hard to keep throwing cash at something that may not go away. I believe this way of phasing out sets from Lego is going to be very effective at minimizing the initial investing bump for most sets (diamonds in the rough will follow a different path).

I have backed off a few sets personally because of the sets phasing out and instead targeted some gambles instead. I may regret it in the future... we'll see.

Wouldn't say I'm a veteran member... but this type of continuing restock did actually happen last year.

Different sets behaved differently though. There is what some people here call "the dance" when a set is going out of stock, then available again, out of stock again, etc. and one day it's simply gone.

The problem as I understand it is that in the time before this dance has been more reliable, as EOL came true for most sets where EOL has been expected.

Exceptions being for example: Death Star and GE

Now there are a number of more sets that just don't want to go while other sets retire unexpected: Especially TH! Even though HH and R2D2 have been in time they could just as well have lingered on for some time... but LEGO retired them either way. But that's probably a bad example ;-) TH is the better one! ^.^

Now we're seing the same thing with UCS X-Wing and PS... and AGAIN!!! DS... with DS everyone is confused. We all do know that someday it just has to go... but with it lingering on and on and on... I guess almost everyone is confused and has given up to anticipate the real EOL by now. (Some here sit on many of these for years by now and that's heavy...)

The PS would be the next one to go but with the unanticipated EOL of TH people have gotten unsure about LEGOs retirement strategy. I'd still say that they kind of follow the plan "the oldest one goes first" but as we've seen in the past it's not always what happens. I'd say PS is next one to go and with BB coming out next year it's about time. My prognosis would be that it'll be gone at least throughout the middle of next year.

UCS X-Wing the same.

So: Yes continuing restock happend last year. At least that's been my perception of things.

• Like 1

Also last year, once they said "Sold Out" it stayed that way until "Retired" was slapped on it. Now the only status that has any meaning is "Available" or "Retired". Nothing else means a damn thing anymore.

Agree!

Lego gets it, it's their way of stomping out the investors.  We'll see how it works for them.  This set is well hoarded, but that doesn't mean it still won't hold some value.  I predict all of the hobbit and LOTR sets will be nearly as collectable as potter given the same time frame.  You may need to sit on things for 5 or 6 years...but it'll come for you.

Edited by conceptmachine

Guest TabbyBoy

I only have 3 ToO (all with promotional poster) and will stop there. For some reason the guy I met with thousands of large sets has left ToO, VW Camper and TB well alone. Maybe he knows something I don't?

7 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I only have 3 ToO (all with promotional poster) and will stop there. For some reason the guy I met with thousands of large sets has left ToO, VW Camper and TB well alone. Maybe he knows something I don't?

I've met so many people with small warehouses full of Lego sets that it has me a little tepid about the future of investing.  (I know there is a thread for that.)  I'm not stopping....just lowering expectations.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Well... he was wrong about the ToO then. This one retired months ago. Also in the UK. So I've heared.

Guest TabbyBoy
11 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Well... he was wrong about the ToO then. This one retired months ago. Also in the UK. So I've heared.

I didn't say it wasn't retired. Yes, no longer available in the UK at RRP unless it's from me ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

I know... I was just saying. It is a much better bet than the T1. In my book.

I was pulling your leg. Yes the box is available from me at £169.99 but, without the contents! Looking forward to £500 a pop in 3yrs or so. However if the Beetle is anything to go by, the T1 will explode in value and once EOL panic sets in, It'll be worse than Town Hall I think. I just need to offload my hundreds of CITY and Friends sets at 20% loss and I'll be very happy.

Any suggestions. I bought two from Amazon and I got them yesterday. The seals on the boxes look like they have been opened before on one side.

Anyone have a good image of the bags that are supposed to be inside the set?

I saw somewhere that there are 18 bags and from what I can see it looks like bags #3 and #5 each have 2 bags with those numbers. And then there is a little non-numbered bag for the eagle.

Does this sound right? Any good pics would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, hoverta said:

Any suggestions. I bought two from Amazon and I got them yesterday. The seals on the boxes look like they have been opened before on one side.

Anyone have a good image of the bags that are supposed to be inside the set?

I saw somewhere that there are 18 bags and from what I can see it looks like bags #3 and #5 each have 2 bags with those numbers. And then there is a little non-numbered bag for the eagle.

Does this sound right? Any good pics would be appreciated.

Thanks.

can you post pics?

2 hours ago, Shislerocco said:

Sometimes seals get loose from what I've seen.

I recently picked up a "Damaged Box" Tumbler. The main reason it was marked as damaged was the seals had popped, and they had to open the box, verified it, then resealed with tape (it also had a tiny bit crushed corner, could've been shelf wear). I asked about the seals popping in transit, and the guy said they had had a whole batch of different sets with the problem. Poor glue solution in the factory or something along those lines. So it can definitely happen.

just got a "open box" 10237 from amazon today everything is there bags are not open...paid $215.95 with tax and free shipping

man wish the box was not open and some what damaged..still thinking about a return or just keeping it i know its gonna hurt the value 

any thought?? its sold out but keeps popping up here and there 

i only have 1 set of 10237