10237 - Tower of Orthanc

I have a few 27R5s from the June restock.

I believe it was a small run to fulfill some back orders. Similar to the most recent availability (could also be residual inventory)? 

I am optimistic about this as an investment. I believe people jumped too early at DS, PS, and TB (myself included) and these are going to be stagnant investments for a fair while (after they retire). I believe ToO will appreciate at a more stable rate, assumably because of lessor stock and not going through stock flux as long as the others.

Edited by landphieran
  • Like 1

I have a few 27R5s from the June restock.

I believe it was a small run to fulfill some back orders. Similar to the most recent availability (could also be residual inventory)? 

I am optimistic about this as an investment. I believe people jumped too early at DS, PS, and TB (myself included) and these are going to be stagnant investments for a while.

It was actually the biggest run since records started in March so good to know it was a real production run. Did you get them from Lego shop at home or have they reached third parties?

I agree timing was great as this one went quietly why the DS stuff was kicking off.

Seems I should up my 5 to 10...especially since I can get them minty fresh at $190.

What I was trying to tell you. Invest in what you know is gone before what might be going - especially when those are uberhoarded sets like DS and PS. Also SOH may be rare due to its price point but its awful sales make ToO´s look like a Millennium Falcon´s the week before Xmas.

Seems I should up my 5 to 10...especially since I can get them minty fresh at $190.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

Look at your aftermarket. If you are confident to find customers enough to buy 10 from you later on. Game on. But if you doubt. Let it be. In my analysis it seems to be a slow seller. At least in my area. I am kind of hoping on the "Ooh I cannot get this set anymore" effect. 

Make no mistake. I believe in this set. But there are many factors you have to put into the equation. Nowadays there are no definite winners anymore.

• Like 1

It may be at local lego stores but it is Sold Out everywhere online. There was momentary availability a couple of days ago on SAH but that was short lived. 

Yes, in the US it is also still obtainable I believe?

I believe Lego did a few small restocks. Some may have trickled to Amazon and Walmart. I believe ToO, Sea Cow, and EEE are done.

Edited by landphieran

Look at your aftermarket. If you are confident to find customers enough to buy 10 from you later on. Game on. But if you doubt. Let it be. In my analysis it seems to be a slow seller. At least in my area. I am kind of hoping on the "Ooh I cannot get this set anymore" effect. 

Make no mistake. I believe in this set. But there are many factors you have to put into the equation. Nowadays there are no definite winners anymore.

I'm also a firm believer in this set. Once it reaches €500 (which doesn't seem so far off) I can afford to cover shipping costs and ship a batch of 5 to europe. I can sell it here, but it will be a slow sell. As Valenciacleric mentions, it's better to invest in a sure thing than in speculations.

The entry point for DS is already very high, which makes it risky here. My good fortune is that all the resellers have plenty of DS stock so even if it were retired tomorrow, I could get my hands on a few for months to come.

I'm also a firm believer in this set. Once it reaches €500 (which doesn't seem so far off) I can afford to cover shipping costs and ship a batch of 5 to europe. I can sell it here, but it will be a slow sell. As Valenciacleric mentions, it's better to invest in a sure thing than in speculations.

The entry point for DS is already very high, which makes it risky here. My good fortune is that all the resellers have plenty of DS stock so even if it were retired tomorrow, I could get my hands on a few for months to come.

Honoustly, to me that is risky business.

Yeah, it´s not just shipping but import duties and VAT on top. Few Europeans will touch non EU stuff, especially if their customs are difficult so and so´s. Then there´s the damaged box claims and all that nonsense too.

If you are not confident of moving them locally, I would not look abroad as salvation- exchange rates can also play havoc and the Euro is going to be week for a while yet.

Cig has it easy because at worst he can QF them for 300 and reinvest if any more interesting sets retire by surprise in the next months.