LEGO Events

TheOrcKing

Guest TabbyBoy

Consider yourself lucky.  I don't know what the criteria is, but you will be on their radar for sure at some point.  

I know I'm lucky as I was given a bunch of VIP points a few weeks ago when I complained about said employee.  I only ordered a B-Wing and Winter Market yesterday.  I was hoping you may have known something regarding criteria.  I may chance it next week to get more B-Wings (if back in stock and reduced as much again), Haunted Houses, Mini Modulars (I think these will do very well) and Town Squares (great for parting out) split into 4

What a terribly run company.  Period.  They've created the secondary market demand by making their products hard to acquire and having a terrible retirement process, and are now arbitrarily going after their most loyal customers.  Shame.

I ordered three unimogs (limit: 99) and three R2D2s (limit: 5) and without warning or notice of any kind to date ALL of my transactions AND transaction history was deleted in my account!  Why delete my history!?  The only odd thing I did was make seperate purchases a few hours apart.  I've done that before and they simply combined the orders.

In addition, my address was removed and replaced with "555 Taylor Rd", which would mean their automatic mailing system will print a label and try to send out magazines to a bogus address.

So I didn't get the Holiday truck and I am going to be hiking the Appalachian trail for the next week and won't be able to get it on Black Friday. :(

The good news is, I was able to go to the store last night and use up my remaining VIP points on that card...and my girlfriend bought my 24th 41999 for me.  Suck it LEGO!

I've stayed within their limits, given that company over $50,000 in the past 12 months and this is how they respond.  Thaaaaanks.

Tab, my best guess is that because banning is a newish policy, they just haven't worked out the kinks yet. Also, they may be starting with the US and for whatever reason aren't looking at the UK yet.

As you have already realized and prepared for, getting around a ban isn't a big deal. The only thing I'd recommend is not holding any significant number of VIP points (use them as you buy) as those who have been banned do lose any accumulated points, too.

Guest TabbyBoy

Tab, my best guess is that because banning is a newish policy, they just haven't worked out the kinks yet. Also, they may be starting with the US and for whatever reason aren't looking at the UK yet.

As you have already realized and prepared for, getting around a ban isn't a big deal. The only thing I'd recommend is not holding any significant number of VIP points (use them as you buy) as those who have been banned do lose any accumulated points, too.

I've not heard of a UK "reseller" being banned but, I'd be very happy to take LEGO to court, and let every UK newspaper know if they removed my VIP points as I have not broken any published policy and (I think) this would be against UK law if they did.  To comply with UK law, I would expect a reduced purchasing limit on LEGO Shop at Home, an advisory email sent to those that exceed limits via multiple orders and finally a warning before an outright ban.  They may be starting with the US as investing has been going on there for several years while it's still quite new in the UK.

LEGO will have no proof to justify me being banned as I have not sold one single set that I have bought from LEGO Shop at Home so there's no way that they can prove that I'm a reseller.  Of course, the time will come when I do sell set from LEGO Shop at Home but, that's years away.

I'm aware that people have had VIP points removed so, I plan to spend all mine next weekend.

If LEGO want to get funny with me, bring it on!

Little do they know that I have space and the funds for another 396 Haunted Houses (99 limit each on all 4 days of Brick Weekend).  It'll be worth it just to make Emazers jealous! ;-)

I know I'm lucky as I was given a bunch of VIP points a few weeks ago when I complained about said employee.  I only ordered a B-Wing and Winter Market yesterday.  I was hoping you may have known something regarding criteria.  I may chance it next week to get more B-Wings (if back in stock and reduced as much again), Haunted Houses, Mini Modulars (I think these will do very well) and Town Squares (great for parting out) split into 4

Placed two orders yesterday. NEITHER shows on my order history screen. I used 100 points on one of the order (not risking leaving a balance there anymore so they can keep it should they ban the account) which show as being used. Received a shipping confirmation for one of the orders. Maybe their system is just behind. And here I thought I was banned, again. Weird.

Guest TabbyBoy

I know of at least 7 confirmed bans, some are heavy resellers, some not.  All have bought large multiples of sets, but some way more than others.  Rest assured, LEGO seems to be tightening the noose.  I have noticed with my own orders.  Some smaller and less exclusive orders seem to go right through to "In Process," while other orders with larger sets can go to Customer Service before being approved or released.

I have spoken to Customer Service reps and they have directly stated to me that some orders are be "audited."  Personally, I think bans and limits are bad for business, but what do I know?  I have to wonder what "public" operated company would limit sales of regular items.  None come to mind.  I have to play within the rules LEGO has given us.  I am very careful about ordering, because I really don't want to use my CIA aliases to buy LEGO sets.  I buy a lot of sets, but unlike many, they include almost every theme, so I really don't have 20 of a set unless you are talking about minifigures or polybags.

On a side note about reselling and ban prevention, I spoke with the LEGO Independent Toy Dealers department and they were very helpful.  They require 3 basic things to be a LEGO Independent Retailer...a Brick and Mortar location, multiple types of toys must be sold and a $5000 opening order.  Other than that, it is pretty straightforward.  Maybe more people should look into that option.

OK, good advice.  So far, all my orders have gone straight to "In Process" apart from my 2x 41999 which said "Customer Service" assuming this was because they were backordered.  I was thinking about becoming an independent retailer but I heard that you need an opening order of

I know of at least 7 confirmed bans, some are heavy resellers, some not.  All have bought large multiples of sets, but some way more than others.  Rest assured, LEGO seems to be tightening the noose.  I have noticed with my own orders.  Some smaller and less exclusive orders seem to go right through to "In Process," while other orders with larger sets can go to Customer Service before being approved or released.

I have spoken to Customer Service reps and they have directly stated to me that some orders are be "audited."  Personally, I think bans and limits are bad for business, but what do I know?  I have to wonder what "public" operated company would limit sales of regular items.  None come to mind.  I have to play within the rules LEGO has given us.  I am very careful about ordering, because I really don't want to use my CIA aliases to buy LEGO sets.  I buy a lot of sets, but unlike many, they include almost every theme, so I really don't have 20 of a set unless you are talking about minifigures or polybags.

On a side note about reselling and ban prevention, I spoke with the LEGO Independent Toy Dealers department and they were very helpful.  They require 3 basic things to be a LEGO Independent Retailer...a Brick and Mortar location, multiple types of toys must be sold and a $5000 opening order.  Other than that, it is pretty straightforward.  Maybe more people should look into that option.

I agree with you that bans and limits are bad for business. I told my parents about TLG banning people from buying Lego sets because they buy too much. My parents questioned why a company would ban people who spend sometimes thousands of dollars a month. That sounds like good business to me. IMO, I think that TLG should direct them to the Lego independent toy dealers department so that TLG still has business with them and they make money. Everyone is happy that way.

What a terribly run company.  Period.  They've created the secondary market demand by making their products hard to acquire and having a terrible retirement process, and are now arbitrarily going after their most loyal customers.  Shame.

I ordered three unimogs (limit: 99) and three R2D2s (limit: 5) and without warning or notice of any kind to date ALL of my transactions AND transaction history was deleted in my account!  Why delete my history!?  The only odd thing I did was make seperate purchases a few hours apart.  I've done that before and they simply combined the orders.

In addition, my address was removed and replaced with "555 Taylor Rd", which would mean their automatic mailing system will print a label and try to send out magazines to a bogus address.

So I didn't get the Holiday truck and I am going to be hiking the Appalachian trail for the next week and won't be able to get it on Black Friday. :(

The good news is, I was able to go to the store last night and use up my remaining VIP points on that card...and my girlfriend bought my 24th 41999 for me.  Suck it LEGO!

I've stayed within their limits, given that company over $50,000 in the past 12 months and this is how they respond.  Thaaaaanks.

I know this discussion is just the tip of the iceberg.  It will get worse.  More people will get banned.  The question I have is where does it say that you can't resell LEGO sets?  On the sets?  On their site?  How do they know a person is a reseller?  I have over 5000 sets and never SOLD one.  Not one.  I am a collector first and foremost.  Maybe I'm addicted to LEGO and need help.  Banning customers is risky business if you don't give customers clear rules to adhere to.  All it takes is one person with time and money to fight and...well...you know the rest.

• Like 1

I know this discussion is just the tip of the iceberg.  It will get worse.  More people will get banned.  The question I have is where does it say that you can't resell LEGO sets?  On the sets?  On their site?  How do they know a person is a reseller?  I have over 5000 sets and never SOLD one.  Not one.  I am a collector first and foremost.  Maybe I'm addicted to LEGO and need help.  Banning customers is risky business if you don't give customers clear rules to adhere to.  All it takes is one person with time and money to fight and...well...you know the rest.

The only place that says you cannot resell some Lego sets are some employees that work for Lego. It does not say this anywhere else. Also, only SOME employees say that you cannot resell Lego sets. Other employees will just allow you to buy large amounts of sets.

Guest TabbyBoy

That's why I'm happy to take LEGO to court if I am banned.  Under UK law, they won't have a leg to stand on as I've not broken any published rule.  I too have not sold a single set bought from LEGO Shop at Home.  This David is happy to take on Goliath - bring it on!

OK, good advice.  So far, all my orders have gone straight to "In Process" apart from my 2x 41999 which said "Customer Service" assuming this was because they were backordered.  I was thinking about becoming an independent retailer but I heard that you need an opening order of

Haha it doesn't matter how many stealth moves you make to hide your buying from LEGO when you have a link to your ebay store in your signature on a LEGO investing website.   

Well, isn't eBay information protected?  PayPal accounts as well?  I don't think LEGO could do some "research" to find potential resllers.  Maybe a little to NSAish for me. :twitch:

From the Terms and Conditions that I clicked on right before placing an order

"Retailers/businesses

These Conditions only apply to consumers and do not apply to retailers or business owners/companies. LEGO defines retailers or business owners/companies as those who place orders where the items/products cannot be expected to be ordered for personal use. In these circumstances LEGO can cancel the order without being liable in any way."

Now, how do they decide who is using for personal use? No idea. Maybe they figure that nobody is going to build or gift TWENTY FOUR of the 41999.

Well, isn't eBay information protected?  PayPal accounts as well?  I don't think LEGO could do some "research" to find potential resllers.  Maybe a little to NSAish for me. :twitch:

All they would need to do is place an order if they really wanted to know.  Sounds far-fetched?  The people from San Diego Comic Con do this all the time to catch people reselling their badges.

Yes it is until they buy something from you.   Not saying they are going out and doing this but if they really wanted to go after the biggest resellers, all they have to do is buy something from them on ebay...

Haha it doesn't matter how many stealth moves you make to hide your buying from LEGO when you have a link to your ebay store in your signature on a LEGO investing website.   

It's not a simple matter to determine a person's actual identity from an eBay store. It gets simpler should LEGO decide to purchase from everyone selling Lego on eBay and then match up the addresses when they receive the product (some folks will still have different business and personal addresses, but they'd catch a lot that way).

But, haha, it wouldn't stop any of us who own a couple of working brain cells from buying from from Lego, except LEGO Shop at Home to that particular address, and it's a lot of time, effort and money for Lego to go through to catch us all, like Pokemon.

• Like 1