LEGO Events

TheOrcKing

I don't think so. They did a Friends build a few weeks ago and didn't charge. They just have all the loose pieces and give you the ones you need to build it. Also comes with an instruction sheet. Sure they want to you buy some but it wasn't required. My daughters enjoyed the Friends build anyway.

I will definitely have to see if our local TRU is participating in this, though since we're out in the sticks I would be surprised if they do this sort of thing. Our Lego selection is pretty paltry compared to others, it's only one side of an aisle and contains nothing bigger than a set that would retail for $119 outside of a couple Technic sets that sit there forever.

I don't think so. They did a Friends build a few weeks ago and didn't charge. They just have all the loose pieces and give you the ones you need to build it. Also comes with an instruction sheet. Sure they want to you buy some but it wasn't required. My daughters enjoyed the Friends build anyway.

So did mine and they also got a goodie bag with a key chain as well as a paper playmat with a road and grass. We laminated it and put Olivia's House on it. TRU is not always evil.

So did mine and they also got a goodie bag with a key chain as well as a paper playmat with a road and grass. We laminated it and put Olivia's House on it. TRU is not always evil.

Ha ha. A 150 dollar Jabba's Palace is pure evil I tell you! :-)

Comicblast posted this on his blog. I'm just wondering if there are any age restrictions, or if they stand right over you making you build it so you can't walk out with a profit! ;)

http://thelegoinvestor.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/tru-may-the-fourth-free-building-event/

Jeez. I didn't even realize people read my blog! ;)

I think this has been talked about somewhere but not about the age restrictions.

I believe there are no age restrictions, though for the next 30 times you go to your TRU, you might get weird looks (partly because you were building it, and partly because you are walking out with hundred$ of Legos in you cart). :)

Also, sometimes employees decide to make up some stuff that makes no sense whatsoever, but with a little pushing, you can persuade them. Besides, you can always pull the "I spend $5,000 at your store a month. Now you are saying I can't get a 30 piece build for free?" If you go that route, do the eyebrow raise, to really work them up! :)

My son, daughter, and I attended the May the 4th event at TRU today. I thought the JEK-14 was a cool little build. We each built one, so we left with 3 and an instruction book for each. They are also giving away a free Lego collector book that has details of the Yoda Chronicles and overviews of the 2013 line-up of Star Wars Lego. The JEK-14 starfighter is bigger than I thought it would be when I saw the promotion pictures. We arrived about 12:45 PM after my son's soccer game was finished. It wasn't crowded at all and we had the whole table to ourselves. A few other families showed up as we were finishing our builds.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a deal by a long shot but rather a local event for people that already live in the outback. The Western Australia Brick Society will be on display during the Model Railway Exhibition at Claremont Showgrounds over Foundation Day long weekend.

Days & Times:

June 1st & 2nd: 10am-5pm

June 3rd: 10am-4pm

Admission:

Kids-$5, Adults-$10, Family-$25

Here is a quick link to the original news post on WA Brick Society.

If you are wondering, I heard of this through Brickset here.

• 3 weeks later...

Before I forget yet again, Brickset posted that there will be a Father's Day building event at Toys R Us on Saturday, June 15th from 12-2pm where you can build a City Police Car to then take it home with you.
Here is the article.

tn_fathersday_jpg.jpg

You may get a chuckle from looking at the long list of comments left on Brickset. There is absolutely no one talking about the build or event itself! Just some bad grammer used in the ad! :lol:

Somewhat interesting chat with the manager of the Swansea ma store.  We were talking about the event and how they put it on once a month to get people into the stores. It is all paid for by lego---never knew that. I told the woman we would buy more lego sets there but couldn't get by the over msrp deal.   She laughed and acknowledged the high prices.  I told her  it didn't  make much sense  to shop there when amzn was cheaper, no tax and free shipping. She agreed .but said it was a corporate deal with lego so they can get "exclusives" .  Lego condones the higher than msrp pricing scheme as they don't compete with lego physical stores ike amzn and walmart/target do.  I didn't really understand her $40k/yr business logic....but apparently it has to do with where toysrus has a physical store....and lego doesn't--tru can sell "exclusives" sets not available anywhere else....except online.....and tru doesn't really compete on price where  they both have physical stores.

I walked away bewildered.  But with 2 free police cars...and 2 series 9 minifigs.  Got the fortune teller and galaxy police guy or whatever...I gave feeling bags a shot for first time--and failed!  Thought I had actress and chicken suit man.    Blah!

Ps. They had tons of city gold mines for 129.99 and lone ranger trains for 119.99.  Also tons of series 1 star wars planets for 12.99. Dino hq for 129.99  as well. those even had a security flashing light rope thing on em....maybe because they were such a steal?  They really did have a ton of retired sets for 20% over retail---but nothing worth grabbing for profit. Wonder if they will ever clearance all the old stuff. They had 2 isles full and one new aisle added temporarily STUFFED with shellraiser, hoth and both of their other  star wars crap exclusive that was on "sale" for 30% off. 

Good morning everyone.  Just wanted to ask people who have gone to these how do they work?  Do people line up? Should I get there early.  I am going to the one in Downtown Disney in CA so I'm assuming it will be packed.  Everything and anything you guys and gals could tell to be prepared would be great.  I am planning on taking my son to his first one today for the superman build.  According to the ages he's much too young, 6 months, but with the name of Kal-El he's got to go.  My backup to get in with him is my 14 year old niece, so it should work out nicely.  Thanks in advance.

Yeah, those things get packed, and I could only imagine it to be even worse where you are. I've taken my kids to a couple of them, they were never questioned about age but then again they aren't nearly as young as your son, so I'm not sure what they will say to you, as 6 months is far younger than the posted age minimum of 6 years. I guess it all depends on the employees and whether or not they want to be harsh about it.

Thanks Josh.  Well since I'm bringing my niece who is 14 it shouldn't be a problem.  Do you know do you line up outside?

I've been by the LEGO store at the Mall of America when they have these builds and there is usually a fairly long line that stretch outside of the store. I would suggest you get there early.