Australian General LEGO Update

BrickPick3r

60150 Pizza Van - picked up 10 of these from local woollies on Australia Day 2018 @$7 a pop, they had sat around since boxing day unloved @$14.

Maybe it's Channel9 scaremongering about supply issues in the nightly news... over the last 3 weeks I've sold all 10 at between $55 - $60.

If I can just get some love for the 60083 snowplough truck bought in similar circumstances a year earlier...

I know what you mean. I bout those Tron 21314 back when I first started doing this for way too much. Just been holding onto them, have had them listed on Ebay for months (looking for double what I paid), sold 3 in the last week. Not sure what's happening but I like it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whoisbiggles said:

60150 Pizza Van - picked up 10 of these from local woollies on Australia Day 2018 @$7 a pop, they had sat around since boxing day unloved @$14.

Maybe it's Channel9 scaremongering about supply issues in the nightly news... over the last 3 weeks I've sold all 10 at between $55 - $60.

If I can just get some love for the 60083 snowplough truck bought in similar circumstances a year earlier...

I'm a little surprised the Pizza Vans took so long to get rid of, I was thinking the current Ice Cream truck could well remain popular (in our market) post EOL and be a good buy (at the right price of course, and in the current 'climate' a steep discount seems unlikely anyway).

The Pizza Van is less than 2 years gone, so this doesn't seem terrible at all, but it does make me wonder about the Ice Cream truck. Can I ask what your selling strategy is? Did you try to move any earlier at less margin or just plonk them all up at 60?

I think the snowplough not moving makes plenty of sense, tough sell in a sunburnt country ;)

I actually picked up a couple of the ski resort not so long ago from Target clearance. Not surprised they were there (clearance) and while the buy-in was low enough I bought them for parts for my winter village, not resale. A quick sold search on the bay  suggests they may actually move, price is still pretty poor now of course @ 110-115 (posted) and I doubt they will ever sell at RRP (in Oz).

12 hours ago, rist said:

Have any Aussies had experience ordering overseas from Bricklink? Do you get hit with GST once it arrives at customs?

Never paid GST at customs on a Bricklink purchase (eBay is totally different).

Make sure your seller doesn't bullshit on the value declaration and you shouldn't have a problem if it is under $1k.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blueshift said:

I'm a little surprised the Pizza Vans took so long to get rid of, I was thinking the current Ice Cream truck could well remain popular (in our market) post EOL and be a good buy (at the right price of course, and in the current 'climate' a steep discount seems unlikely anyway).

The Pizza Van is less than 2 years gone, so this doesn't seem terrible at all, but it does make me wonder about the Ice Cream truck. Can I ask what your selling strategy is? Did you try to move any earlier at less margin or just plonk them all up at 60?

I think the snowplough not moving makes plenty of sense, tough sell in a sunburnt country ;)

I actually picked up a couple of the ski resort not so long ago from Target clearance. Not surprised they were there (clearance) and while the buy-in was low enough I bought them for parts for my winter village, not resale. A quick sold search on the bay  suggests they may actually move, price is still pretty poor now of course @ 110-115 (posted) and I doubt they will ever sell at RRP (in Oz).

Looking for a 100% nett profit on the RRP. With the use of spreadsheets and postage calculators, etc. I have that point worked out for most items. This time last year couldn't sell a Halloween Haunt or Pizza Van for $40 on eBay. This year started selling these off at the $55 mark and as 1 sold , listed another at higher price until they were selling at $60 a pop. Probably could have gone higher, but I need to stay in Ausposts Band 2 parcel post rates, clear space at home and make hay while the sun is shining.

Productivity Commission report released yesterday - warning Parents to get their Xmas shopping done early, I am sure will help with sales.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, whoisbiggles said:

Looking for a 100% nett profit on the RRP. With the use of spreadsheets and postage calculators, etc. I have that point worked out for most items. This time last year couldn't sell a Halloween Haunt or Pizza Van for $40 on eBay. This year started selling these off at the $55 mark and as 1 sold , listed another at higher price until they were selling at $60 a pop. Probably could have gone higher, but I need to stay in Ausposts Band 2 parcel post rates, clear space at home and make hay while the sun is shining.

If I may ask is the 100% target arbitrary? I'm a still very much a noob in this particular game, but good with numbers and accounting, I have been planning out (for sets I have in quantity) sell prices for returns ranging from 50% to 150%, to give myself data points to figure out a 'profit per dollar-day' (the profit made per dollar invested per day held), with an aim to maximise that particular statistic (rather than 'raw' profit) and use it as a measure of success.

19 hours ago, whoisbiggles said:

Productivity Commission report released yesterday - warning Parents to get their Xmas shopping done early, I am sure will help with sales. 

Yeah, I've not sold a lot of LEGO yet obviously and have little listed, but my strategy for getting into and staying in AusPost band 2 was to get other toys wholesale and flog them off at very low margins. My overall sales value is actually down at the moment, but only because got rid of some HP Great Halls and SW Final Duels a while back (at significant margin), my sales numbers for the low margin non-LEGO stuff is way up very recently.

Fingers crossed, looking like it might be a good xmas season; or maybe just an early one? Given the issues AusPost have had of recent, I'm not sure I'd want to be selling (with the expectation of delivery before xmas) too deep into Dec.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:48 AM, Amac said:

I know what you mean. I bout those Tron 21314 back when I first started doing this for way too much. Just been holding onto them, have had them listed on Ebay for months (looking for double what I paid), sold 3 in the last week. Not sure what's happening but I like it. 

No sure what's happening?

Christmas is coming. Sales usually continue to be high through January as well. People have free time and are on holidays.

Edited by ED-209

On 11/6/2021 at 5:52 AM, Blueshift said:

If I may ask is the 100% target arbitrary? I'm a still very much a noob in this particular game, but good with numbers and accounting, I have been planning out (for sets I have in quantity) sell prices for returns ranging from 50% to 150%, to give myself data points to figure out a 'profit per dollar-day' (the profit made per dollar invested per day held), with an aim to maximise that particular statistic (rather than 'raw' profit) and use it as a measure of success.

Yeah, I've not sold a lot of LEGO yet obviously and have little listed, but my strategy for getting into and staying in AusPost band 2 was to get other toys wholesale and flog them off at very low margins. My overall sales value is actually down at the moment, but only because got rid of some HP Great Halls and SW Final Duels a while back (at significant margin), my sales numbers for the low margin non-LEGO stuff is way up very recently.

Fingers crossed, looking like it might be a good xmas season; or maybe just an early one? Given the issues AusPost have had of recent, I'm not sure I'd want to be selling (with the expectation of delivery before xmas) too deep into Dec.

Had a parcel take 6 weeks to get from Brisbane to Dandenong, in the meantime parcels to WA - getting delivered within 5 days. 

100% is an arbitrary goal - its just a hobby. My wife does craft I do this. If I was to pay myself the same hourly rate my employer does - wouldn't be worth it.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:25 AM, ED-209 said:

No sure what's happening?

Christmas is coming. Sales usually continue to be high through January as well. People have free time and are on holidays.

Yes it is ED, think this year is going to be a bit different.

COVID 2020 Lockdowns kept me very busy, 2021 Lockdowns were busy, but not as busy as 2020. But Xmas this year, I note the wider aisles at Kmart and a lot less stock available in store, the news has frequent doom and gloom stories about a lack of toys, alcohol, perfume, etc. And I'm listing some pretty bland sets, priced to be around the middle of what's on offer and some of this stuff is selling 1-2 days after being listed. I might even have to list some of the Star Wars Constructibles, and Reys Speeder sets.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Blueshift said:

Target have come to the party.

Some good discounts in there, particularly if you are after any of those big batman vehicles.

even the Classic Batmobile @$39.20 is good value.

my local Target had a couple of retired Jurassic World sets, still get the 20% off the clearance price.

Big W has 76384 HP Herbology Class for $19.50 (probably the poorest seller of the 4 sets)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, whoisbiggles said:

Target has 31202 Mickey Mouse Mosaic on clearance for $55.20 (RRP $180). Max order is 8.

Now sweating on the delivery confirmation, to pick up from the local store. 

That is a good price! Thanks for the share. Speaking of hot deals, 10300 is turning out to be a good one (albeit temporarily) if you got the chance to nab one or two when they came out last week. 

1 hour ago, ED-209 said:

Flipping newly-released sets is a gamble. Titanic and BTTF have worked out, but others, like Seinfeld and the UCS AT AT fell pretty flat. 

Since my GBHQ efforts - i've been to gun-shy to try this again.

My target order has been dispatched - and those 8 x MM mosaics should be a nice little earner come Xmas

• 1 month later...

Put my toe in the eBay selling water with the SW Helmets Stormtrooper and Tie Pilot helmets. $65 buy in on each Stormtrooper went for $185 and Tie Pilot $195. I'll save the rest til closer to Xmas guess people were mostly hoarding Boba Fett?

I like the 75306 Imperial Probe Droid currently on sale at Target for $87.20, BUT if you buy one online for click and collect a few days later you get a $10 discount voucher which can be used for next purchase and with other discounts. So far bought 4 this way and waiting for the next voucher.

• Like 1