Australian General LEGO Update

BrickPick3r

So if you're only using boxes where do you get them from?

I reuse all boxes i receive from my online orders. I'll also duck down to big w now and then at night and ask for any boxes they have laying around (usually a lot at night when they're packing shelves.) I'll also buy boxes as needed. Sometimes they'll be a little too big but oh well.

Edited by LegoPizza

There are box cutting tools that size boxes to the size you need. I don't know if the Aussie market is different but here isn't the US, boxes are mandatory. Bubble wrap and paper isn't going to cut it. I just am an anti paper guy because I HATE when when things aren't perfect. Some people call it OCD. ;)

Probably going to be flamed for this, but I'm anti-box and I'm a strong pro-bubble wrap guy. To me boxes are to much of a liability and a cubic space waster, especially when selling rates are cut-throat.

I double bubble wrap and brown paper all my items and haven't had a single complaint (often complimented) or negged on eBay for my wrapping.

Believe me, I am the epitome of OCD ;)

Different strokes for different folks I suppose :)

There are box cutting tools that size boxes to the size you need. I don't know if the Aussie market is different but here isn't the US, boxes are mandatory. Bubble wrap and paper isn't going to cut it. I just am an anti paper guy because I HATE when when things aren't perfect. Some people call it OCD. ;)

Probably going to be flamed for this, but I'm anti-box and I'm a strong pro-bubble wrap guy. To me boxes are to much of a liability and a cubic space waster, especially when selling rates are cut-throat.

I double bubble wrap and brown paper all my items and haven't had a single complaint (often complimented) or negged on eBay for my wrapping.

Don't do this. It will bite you back eventually. I'm sure you have received some lego sets that haven't come in boxes and they are all crushed. You should treat your buyers how you would like to be treated. Package items well, send them as fast as possible....

Eventually you are going to get a rough postie, who is going to put a heavy item onto your buyers set. Unfortunately, the buyer receives their newly purchased retired set which is crushed with rips in the box. Is getting negative feedback against your name and having to refund the buyer really worth saving the buyer a few bucks?

Don't do this. It will bite you back eventually. I'm sure you have received some lego sets that haven't come in boxes and they are all crushed. You should treat your buyers how you would like to be treated. Package items well, send them as fast as possible....

Eventually you are going to get a rough postie, who is going to put a heavy item onto your buyers set. Unfortunately, the buyer receives their newly purchased retired set which is crushed with rips in the box. Is getting negative feedback against your name and having to refund the buyer really worth saving the buyer a few bucks?

I don't think there's not much of an option is there if there are no boxes to purchase? For example I got 4x Minecraft Farm today from Amazon in one large box. There are no boxes I know of I can buy that will fit these sets.

From the 50 or so sets I've sold in the last couple of months I haven't had any issues with the bubble wrap method.  I think worst case scenario a set gets mangled in the post, I'll just refund the buyer, pay the $15 postage to have it sent back, then relist it at 10-15% discount stating a damaged box.

Edited by jkaesler
  • Like 1

I agree with what Brickonator says in principal, however to accost other sellers/investors with fatuous comments regarding their selling/packaging methods is a un-constructive and a moot point. I have sent over 250 lego packages over the past year using this method 99% (recycling the smallest LEGO boxes where I can) and have only received positive feedback (happy to send you my eBay ID if you like, or you can just search the same ID with an 82 after it). 

I personally can attest to the fact that boxes are just as likely to be damaged or even more so as I have received 4 separate orders from LEGO which have been smashed (Tumbler, Minecraft sets). So unfortunately no method has 100% success rate.

Having said that if a customer did advise that the item they had received was destroyed, I would happily refund and alter my packing methods.

I don't want this to be taken as a stab at anyone, as I love (and thrive) on everyone's input (especially fellow Aussies) however, and I think we could all agree - please don't make assumptions regarding other investor's selling practices where it isn't warranted.

- J

Thanks guys for all the feedback. We have been using bubblewrap and paper method and also had only positive comments. Boxes would be great and easier to ship out but only if the right size. Hence my so far fruitless search for decent boxes in Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

update on box search: have asked for a quote for custom-made boxes from a local supplier..will keep you guys posted and if i can get a reasonable quote you can PM me and we can possibly organize a bulk purchase.

have also ordered a roll of corrugated cardboard (60cm *10m) to try and make our own boxes.

update on box search: have asked for a quote for custom-made boxes from a local supplier..will keep you guys posted and if i can get a reasonable quote you can PM me and we can possibly organize a bulk purchase.

have also ordered a roll of corrugated cardboard (60cm *10m) to try and make our own boxes.

update on box search: have found a local supplier who can produce custom-made boxes. prices (excluding shipping) would be ~$4 per box (for 600 x 500 x 140mm ie town hall size) and $3 per box for medium size (500 x 400 x 100mm). this quote was for 100 boxes of each size.

please PM me if you are interested in joining me for a bulk order so we can possibly get the first custom-made lego set boxes for the Australian market :)

Looks like the bubble on Minecraft sets will soon be over - Target now has these in stock online. I'm still waiting on a delivery for 5 Caves and 5 First Nights so hopefully they arrive tomorrow and I can have these sold by the weekend.

What date do people think will be the last date you can sell / ship in order to guarantee the items will arrive by Christmas?

Looks like the bubble on Minecraft sets will soon be over - Target now has these in stock online. I'm still waiting on a delivery for 5 Caves and 5 First Nights so hopefully they arrive tomorrow and I can have these sold by the weekend.

What date do people think will be the last date you can sell / ship in order to guarantee the items will arrive by Christmas?

I wonder if they've appeared in Target stores yet. I would say probably Saturday 20th would be the last day to ship but even that may be pushing it.

I'm still waiting on 3x Cave and 3x First Night to arrive from Lego... their shipping is painfully slow at the moment! I'll probably just break even on these by the time they arrive but that's OK the money is better spent elsewhere.

Both Target and David Jones have 20% off Lego at the moment... might be too late for purchases to flip for Christmas though.