Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

For every person who 'solves a 200 year old physics problem' there are 10 000 who claim to have done so. I'm just playing the odds. Physics cranks are a dime a dozen and the vast majority of the time they aren't, and have never been, publishing physicists. These 'citizen scientists' always have some sort of rationale for why their genius would not be understood by the establishment.

On some occasions of course, the crank is an actual publishing scientist. You find them in every field :)

For every person who 'solves a 200 year old physics problem' there are 10 000 who claim to have done so. I'm just playing the odds. Physics cranks are a dime a dozen and the vast majority of the time they aren't, and have never been, publishing physicists. These 'citizen scientists' always have some sort of rationale for why their genius would not be understood by the establishment.

On some occasions of course, the crank is an actual publishing scientist. You find them in every field

Yes I see your point. On a side note I did just coauthor a paper published in Physical Review E 2021. It has not gained many reads or any citations yet so that kinda says how groundbreaking my current research is (not very).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/19/2021 at 6:58 PM, LegoWalker4 said:

The 2-3-2 seven game baseball playoffs format in the league championship series and World Series, which I feel gives an advantage to the lower seeded team by giving them three straight home games.  Of course, you still have to win at home.  I like the old 2-2-1-1-1 format.

The players (and owners) would have to hate the 2-2-1-1-1 format. Way too much travel. 

5 hours ago, BrickLover80 said:

Fair point but if you look at it the other way around, at 20% off, back to rrp is a 25% return. At 31% off, it's almost 50%. 

There is also some chance they puff everywhere before Christmas and can be sold this year for an ok return. My local Targets and Lego store have none in stock and it's TOOS at SAH. Sales rank at Amazon is so high that they don't even match the Target pre-gc price. 

Not sure how you get those return numbers at RRP.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 9.54.40 AM.png

Edited by gmpirate

Your math is wrong, much like your continued conversation after I politely asked people not to.

You add sales tax onto your discounted price, but not to the regular RRP price. This cuts down on your answer for what the discount actually is. It looks like you are using a sales tax rate of 7.75%. If you add 7.75% tax onto the $90 RRP to make it $96.98 and you are buying the set for $63.70 then your discount is 34% not 29%. Don't worry though, math is hard for some, keep working at it and you will get it eventually.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

Your math is wrong, much like your continued conversation after I politely asked people not to.

You add sales tax onto your discounted price, but not to the regular RRP price. This cuts down on your answer for what the discount actually is. It looks like you are using a sales tax rate of 7.75%. If you add 7.75% tax onto the $90 RRP to make it $96.98 and you are buying the set for $63.70 then your discount is 34% not 29%. Don't worry though, math is hard for some, keep working at it and you will get it eventually.

There was nothing incorrect about my math, but you are correct in that I should have used the RRP to reflect the correct discount.  Still, it's irrelevant to my point.  He was talking about making a 25 - 50% return selling at RRP.  In any case, we were just discussing he merits of buying now vs later and neither one of us were insulting.  Not sure why you felt the need to be so??

Yes, this is the place for posting deals but it's also common practice to comment on them.  It's not off topic.

40 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

Yes, this is the place for posting deals but it's also common practice to comment on them.  It's not off topic.

Simply categorically false; because many have alerts set to this thread.

...and a hello to the hundreds of folks who checked their "Deals' notification to see my post...sorry to add to your disappointment and frustration

but IF folks actually think this is the place to post "discussion" we need to nip this in the bud.

If your post does not have an actual deal...then hundreds of BPers are cussing your post out every freakin time

sorry, cuss away

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Simply categorically false; because many have alerts set to this thread.

...and a hello to the hundreds of folks who checked their "Deals' notification to see my post...sorry to add to your disappointment and frustration

but IF folks actually think this is the place to post "discussion" we need to nip this in the bud.

If your post does not have an actual deal...then hundreds of BPers are cussing your post out every freakin time

sorry, cuss away

I've never set alerts on this thread for 8 years and I have zero issues keeping up with it. I don't have alerts on any threads. You can deal with it that way too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've never set alerts on this thread for 8 years and I have zero issues keeping up with it. I don't have alerts on any threads. You can deal with it that way too.
Lots of people do have alerts set up for this thread to keep up with deals, just because you don't doesn't mean that no one else should. There are literally hundreds of other threads to hold conversations in why must conversations be held in this one? This is a very disappointing viewpoint coming from a mod.

• Thanks 1

Just now, exciter1 said:

Seriously, this thread has been used for discussions since before folks critiquing it for such were even here. Now Sticking it to folks who think they should only get to capitalize on deal notifications like this is their personal reseller opportunist hotline, I'm in for that!

• Like 2

The Daily Deals thread is the single most important thread on this website by far. IT definitely should be restricted to deals only - as noted, many, myself included, monitor that thread religiously and it is frustrating to check only to see some analysis or conversation, even if interesting. I dont see why it would be hard to create a separate thread for daily deal discussions, its simple and makes everyone happy, im not sure why it shouldnt work.

7 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

The Daily Deals thread is the single most important thread on this website by far. IT definitely should be restricted to deals only - as noted, many, myself included, monitor that thread religiously and it is frustrating to check only to see some analysis or conversation, even if interesting. I dont see why it would be hard to create a separate thread for daily deal discussions, its simple and makes everyone happy, im not sure why it shouldnt work.

It doesn't make everyone happy, nobody used it when it existed.

Mods just had to constantly move stuff, since everyone still posted in the Daily Deals Thread.

We could turn moderation on the thread, but then stuff wouldn't be posted until approved. negating the purpose of the post in the first place.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

The debate then becomes what is a deal.  Is brick and mortar clearance a deal?  Are in stock notices with no discount for hard to find items a deal?  Does some insane coupon stacking at a regional chain count as a deal? 

You all will survive some random chatter in the daily deals thread, I promise.

• Like 2

Look we all are making money by capitalizing on sales, often times deals get bought out so quickly that folks with normal jobs never have the opportunity to get the items on sale. Anything that evens this out a little like mucking up the deals thread seems right by the universe and in the best interests of promoting good reseller-regular Lego customer relations. If you disagree consider the extreme case. One huge whale with billions in capital has spiders all over the web searching and buying up any really good sale. Then you don’t get any deals either, and I wonder what new policies retailers would implement. A too efficient thread could become this, good to make it a little harder and more fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

The debate then becomes what is a deal.  Is brick and mortar clearance a deal?  Are in stock notices with no discount for hard to find items a deal?  Does some insane coupon stacking at a regional chain count as a deal? 

I still recall the days when posting about 70% off Lego at that one chain was frowned upon since it is a regional one 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

we can be liberal and include all deals. I dont think anyone minds a deal that they cant replicate. With "minimum" discussion, it is impossible to define, leaving it to everyones better judgement, which some have and some lack.

• Like 1