Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

FB and IG keeps ban on Trump: Good or Bad?

I think the underlying issue when folks complain about "cancel culture" is the power social media has. And altho one of the best thing about social media is the ability to give anyone a voice...often times that voice comes from a place of ignorance or being mis-informed which gets greatly amplified. 

I know that I can "sit it out" to some extent with however I choose to set up my reclusive retirement, but I fear for my son who will be forced into all of it as social media is no longer a "choice" but a requirement in current day society.

23 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

FB and IG keeps ban on Trump: Good or Bad?

I think the underlying issue when folks complain about "cancel culture" is the power social media has. And altho one of the best thing about social media is the ability to give anyone a voice...often times that voice comes from a place of ignorance or being mis-informed which gets greatly amplified. 

I know that I can "sit it out" to some extent with however I choose to set up my reclusive retirement, but I fear for my son who will be forced into all of it as social media is no longer a "choice" but a requirement in current day society.

I wouldn't mind voting for who gets banned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Requirement? What makes you say that? I haven't been on any social media platforms for ~5 years and haven't missed them at all.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

Requirement? What makes you say that? I haven't been on any social media platforms for ~5 years and haven't missed them at all.

Outside of the obvious reseller affecting platforms...schools share info purely through social platforms...also after school activity sign ups, even parent's group for certain sporting activities.

IN terms of business, from a small business perspective, more and more customers have an expectation of being contacted/informed thru social media platforms.

It's becoming more and more prevalent that school age kids almost exclusively communicate thru social media after school.

And like I said, I can choose to be disconnected, but I don't think that would be the best thing for my kid. 

15 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Outside of the obvious reseller affecting platforms...schools share info purely through social platforms...also after school activity sign ups, even parent's group for certain sporting activities.

IN terms of business, from a small business perspective, more and more customers have an expectation of being contacted/informed thru social media platforms.

It's becoming more and more prevalent that school age kids almost exclusively communicate thru social media after school.

And like I said, I can choose to be disconnected, but I don't think that would be the best thing for my kid. 

I'm guessing this varies depending on where you live. I'm a dad of 3 school age kids in a medium-sized midwestern city and haven't needed social media for any of the things you've mentioned. 

Ransomware

so it's a well run "legitimate" illegitimated business now?

I personally know of a small business (family owned business) hit with this in the past couple of years.  The ransom was $10,000 (I think). He had a backup that saved him, but it's a really scary scenario for any business.

is it true that it's Russians?...which most news articles imply...and for our East Coast Brethrens...how much has gas gone up?

47 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Ransomware

so it's a well run "legitimate" illegitimated business now?

I personally know of a small business (family owned business) hit with this in the past couple of years.  The ransom was $10,000 (I think). He had a backup that saved him, but it's a really scary scenario for any business.

is it true that it's Russians?...which most news articles imply...and for our East Coast Brethrens...how much has gas gone up?

There's a major health care provider in SoCal that got hit with ransomware about a week ago.  Their systems are *still* down.  They are doing a bunch of paper and pen tracking of information.  Turning away patients, etc.  It's a nightmare.  It was a phishing attempt that was successful - employee clicked a bad link in an email.  What's scary is that the mail system and the patient data were part of the same system, and that it was so easily taken down.  Their offsite backup was also hit, so they have nothing that's clean.

They've decided not to pay the ransom, so they are rebuilding their system from the ground up.

There's a major health care provider in SoCal that got hit with ransomware about a week ago.  Their systems are *still* down.  They are doing a bunch of paper and pen tracking of information.  Turning away patients, etc.  It's a nightmare.  It was a phishing attempt that was successful - employee clicked a bad link in an email.  What's scary is that the mail system and the patient data were part of the same system, and that it was so easily taken down.  Their offsite backup was also hit, so they have nothing that's clean.
They've decided not to pay the ransom, so they are rebuilding their system from the ground up.

Thanks for sharing this ... do you have a link to the story by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

Thanks for sharing this ... do you have a link to the story by chance?

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/what-we-know-about-scripps-health-cyberattack/2598969/

And if you're interested in cyber crime as a whole, I strongly suggest listening to the Darknet Diaries Podcast.  Amazingly good podcast.  One of the best I've ever heard.  I geek out on penetration testing, cyber attacks, breaches, cyber security, etc.  Every episode is good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Root canal scheduled for early July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my first root canal last year. I was stressed. Everything I knew about root canals was from other people, tv, movies, etc...

It was a breeze. I've had cleanings and gum treatments that were more uncomfortable.

Hopefully all will go smooth. Don't stress.

• Like 1