10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

Guest TabbyBoy

Or LEGO will cut them adrift, they don't like to be associated with bad press and controversy.

Or VW will cut LEGO adrift in sympathy of resellers collectors being banned? However, I see far too many on the shelves for my liking.

Likely to survive for another year, methinks.

As much as it pains me to say this, I think you're right. T1 is still everywhere in ample supply. Hell it was barely TOOS at Lego online before being stocked again a few days later. If the emissions scandal is unable to send it to a long overdue grave then I wonder if it will ever retire.

I expected this to retire last year. But unfortunately this did not happen. If it did... it would have become a great investment. Now it seems it will not even retire in the foreseeable future. So I would give it zero priority for investment.

Just my 0.02

Same here ^.^ I guess many people can share this sentiment.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

My gut feeling is that this will suddenly disappear without warning and the biggest buying frenzy of all will be upen us. This is a VERY popular set and I can see it hitting the roof within weeks, like the TH did. I used to do the "sticker test" in John Lewis (Reading) and they seemed to renew about every 7-10 days about a year back. This still often sells for RRP+ so it can only be a good sign. I have 22 but, I could still be tempted to round it up slightly to a nice even 100 ;-)

Please don't wait too long to buy at least a couple of these, remember missing out on the TH? I did!

Edited by TabbyBoy
Typo

I think we may have found a suitable person to be the new VW CEO!

Certainly, we saw it outperform the Mini and sell not much less than the F40, which both cost less. I guess when there is a consistent drop in salesthey will retire it, or if the licence expires first.

• Like 1

If I can buy another one with more than 10% discount I'll definitely grab another one. If not, then it's not worth it I think, considering how massively this set is already hoarded.

In Europe, during the current sales season, I could have picked them up at 55E BUT resisted the temptation. (even though on BL they sell 70E regularly)

It's a set that never seems to want to retire. At that price, othe resellers didn't hesitate and the set is out of stock for now. So I'm not sure I acted as a (greedy) idiot, or made a wise decision. But normally the set should have retired : it has 2 other similar alternative sets and is over time (>3years). And it has not. AND B&M stocks are high AND it is one of the most popular hoarded sets.

So I'm actually more worried about it never retiring than to get even more at a nice price. 

Just my view of course.

• Like 1

In Europe, during the current sales season, I could have picked them up at 55E BUT resisted the temptation. (even though on BL they sell 70E regularly)

It's a set that never seems to want to retire. At that price, othe resellers didn't hesitate and the set is out of stock for now. So I'm not sure I acted as a (greedy) idiot, or made a wise decision. But normally the set should have retired : it has 2 other similar alternative sets and is over time (>3years). And it has not. AND B&M stocks are high AND it is one of the most popular hoarded sets.

So I'm actually more worried about it never retiring than to get even more at a nice price. 

Just my view of course.

I haven't seen it for anything lower than at 10% discount in The Netherlands since I started buying Lego sets last August. I only have one, which I bought at a meagre 5% discount end of August. Then I thought it may retire any moment and I should get one asap. So if I could get another one with a sweet discount I'll jump at it right away! Not even as an investment but as a set to build myself. I even looked at used ones at eBay but they're hardly any cheaper (if you include postage) than buying it new with a minor discount!

Just my view of course.

For 55 Euro I would have added more 10220 to my stack and the stack is not that small :kfu:, this thing is 200 Euro soon after it retires. The only question is when that dumb T1 does that.