10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

Back in the day when the T1 was produced there were no computerchips or sensors to measure the exhaust. Where cars were still cars. No worries about the environment and most engines were easy to maintain. Nowadays you cannot even change the lamp of the headlight without needing to go to the dealership and pay 150 euro for it. 

This set is hoarded top notch. Why? Cause people saw what the Beetle did. And eventhough everybody in their right minds knows it will not perform like the Beetle people keep convincing themselves it will. This could only have happened if the shelflife would have been 2 years combined with a surprise retirement.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

This set is hoarded top notch. Why? Cause people saw what the Beetle did. And eventhough everybody in their right minds knows it will not perform like the Beetle people keep convincing themselves it will. This could only have happened if the shelflife would have been 2 years combined with a surprise retirement.  

I would imagine the Campervan will most likely never get to the lofty heights of the Beetle for value, but it's not about making 500-600% ROI. It's about knowing that in the T1 Campervan you're investing in a set that should have no problem doubling it's price within a year or two. 

1 hour ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Why else would people be hoarding this set at such an astounding rate? Because the T1 is just sooooooooooooo cool? Yeah not!

eBay sales sit around 80 - 120% of the retail price, a strong indication that despite being readily available in stores people are happy to pay a premium for this set. The numbers sold on eBay are impressive. The EU stock and sales figures for TLG (according to EU Brickset figures) were some of the best for any Creator set. The demand is there for a Lego Campervan, and unless they remake it once it retires it will always be desirable and garner a premium. That in my book is very cool.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

I would imagine the Campervan will most likely never get to the lofty heights of the Beetle for value, but it's not about making 500-600% ROI. It's about knowing that in the T1 Campervan you're investing in a set that should have no problem doubling it's price within a year or two. 

eBay sales sit around 80 - 120% of the retail price, a strong indication that despite being readily available in stores people are happy to pay a premium for this set. The numbers sold on eBay are impressive. The EU stock and sales figures for TLG (according to EU Brickset figures) were some of the best for any Creator set. The demand is there for a Lego Campervan, and unless they remake it once it retires it will always be desirable and garner a premium. That in my book is very cool.

Do not get me wrong. It is a very nice set. To say the least. And yes, even when available at Lego it sells at 120% RRP sometimes.

But firstly... I have to see it retire anytime soon. If indeed it is the best seller in the creator theme you can wait long before retirement occurs. 

Secondly... I have learned if there are multiple pages on ebay with a certain set I become hesitant. I used to jump on those sets cause they are/were popular. But now I know better. I do not feel like competing with 100 others for the buyer and wait for months to make the sale for my desired price. Cause listings on ebay are limited.

Hence, a few months ago I have even sold some of my T1's for buy-in. I have kept the ones that I bought at 35% off.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

VW have now admitted cheating on CO2 emissions also. I checked with my Skoda dealer and my Superb PETROL is likely to be affected as well! I feel so strongly about this that I cancelled my order this afternoon for a new Golf R due for 01MAR16 delivery. A customer of mine has also cancelled orders for a fleet of VW Passat Bluemotion company cars. I can't see VW shaking this off quickly and as soon as LEGO sever ties with these lying cowboys the better! For ethical reasons, I now wish I had no campers as VW don't deserve a penny from me!

Could VW go down the pan? British Leyland and Rover did!

Edited by TabbyBoy
Typo

What I have found most odd about the VW scandal is that when ever I compared their car's emissions with other makers they were not at the top. And to get under the 99g/km band and therefore pay no tax they had to compromise the car on many of their models.

I have wondered if this could bring the company down. If not down, then maybe vastly reduced. They may have to sell off some of their brands.

But to bring this post vaguely on topic, I don;t think it will after the performance of the VW Camper.

Guest TabbyBoy
10 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

People who buy Golf R´s are worried about CO2 emissions? Speechless.

Not necessarily... 159g/km for the Golf R is better than my Skoda Superb estate 1.8 TSI DSG at 170g/km if the published figures are to be believed. What does the other Skoda driver I personally met on here say? My dilemma is... what do I buy instead? Definitely never a VW group car again as this is unforgivable. I'd be really pissed if my new car dropped in value with this fiasco going on. Used values have already taken a hit. I'm so disappointed,

As for the T1, the 65,873,332 remaining on shelves may take years to clear if buyers decide to boycott the VW brand. It's really bad news for the company and it'll spread quickly.

I only hope that LEGO is ethical enough to sever ties with VW, tell them to shove the licence up their arschloch and recall all stock so that prices will hit the roof! ;-) A long shot but, you heard it here first.

6 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Not necessarily... 159g/km for the Golf R is better than my Skoda Superb estate 1.8 TSI DSG at 170g/km if the published figures are to be believed. What does the other Skoda driver I personally met on here say? My dilemma is... what do I buy instead? Definitely never a VW group car again as this is unforgivable. I'd be really pissed if my new car dropped in value with this fiasco going on. Used values have already taken a hit. I'm so disappointed,

As for the T1, the 65,873,332 remaining on shelves may take years to clear if buyers decide to boycott the VW brand. It's really bad news for the company and it'll spread quickly.

I only hope that LEGO is ethical enough to sever ties with VW, tell them to shove the licence up their arschloch and recall all stock so that prices will hit the roof! ;-) A long shot but, you heard it here first.

I didnt want to do that but now I had to:

I really cant understand that everyone is so hard on VW. Yes they messed up, they lied, in terms of the stock exchange, I totally get that. Everyone now is an enviromentalist as it seems...or is it just because its about a stoopid car?

What is about Tepco or BP or Monsanto or Nestle or Disney or Foxconn? the list goes on and on.

and to be honest the co2 footprint of our beloved toy is not the best to have..

Edited by gregpj
stop the swearing please
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sozial said:

I didnt want to do that but now I had to:

I really cant understand that everyone is so hard on VW. Yes they messed up, they lied, in terms of the stock exchange, I totally get that. Everyone now is an enviromentalist as it seems...or is it just because its about a stoopid car?

What is about Tepco or BP or Monsanto or Nestle or Disney or Foxconn? the list goes on and on.

and to be honest the co2 footprint of our beloved toy is not the best to have..

I do not see why VW would be the only one in the carworld who has cheated with something. Many other marks also did it with the fuel consumption stats.

What is going on with VW is just an example of economic warfare.

Edited by gregpj
edited quote for language
  • Like 1

M2C

This will defiantly effect VW.

It will not effect the T1 sales in any way way noticeable.

The only real question is if Lego will cut its run short

I think probably not, the news is pretty much out of the 'main stream' now.

On the contrary it's very much in the news. Today approximately 4 billion euros wiped off VW market, shares down almost 10 percent. I'd say this is very much a prominent issue, but whether it's enough of a concern for Lego is to be seen.

I couldn't care less about the vw thing.  All these corporation cheatand steal, the regulators,  ie. The government are the most corrupt, lying organization ever, except when they get caught no one gets prosecuted and they change the law to accommodate.  The vw is white noise and distraction from the real issues.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

On the contrary it's very much in the news. Today approximately 4 billion euros wiped off VW market, shares down almost 10 percent. I'd say this is very much a prominent issue, but whether it's enough of a concern for Lego is to be seen.

To keep in line with the vehicle brand's scandal, lego should start to state a lower number of bricks for the affected sets, such that the real piece count will be significantly above the declared piece count.

36 minutes ago, waddamon said:

I couldn't care less about the vw thing.  All these corporation cheatand steal, the regulators,  ie. The government are the most corrupt, lying organization ever, except when they get caught no one gets prosecuted and they change the law to accommodate.  The vw is white noise and distraction from the real issues.  

Relax, things could be much worse. Imagine if America was a dictatorship...

http://9gag.com/gag/6698723/if-america-was-a-dictatorship

12 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

However if the Beetle is anything to go by, the T1 will explode in value and once EOL panic sets in, It'll be worse than Town Hall I think. I just need to offload my hundreds of CITY and Friends sets at 20% loss and I'll be very happy.

The Beetle (10187) and the VW Camper (10220) are incomparable in investment potential! As far as I can tell, 10187 was not sold at retail here in The Netherlands / Europe. At least, I can't find any data about it. And either Brickset didn't track the availability data for Europe yet at that time, or it simply wasn't sold yet in Europe (except UK) then:

10187.png

So, with such limited availability of the 10187 (both in time-frame and location) compared to the more than 4 years of wide availability of the 10220 with massive hoarding by people with $$ or  ££ or €€ signs in their eyes, it's folly to expect the T1 to "explode in value once EOL panic sets in". It really will NOT happen!

(((copied here from derailed ToO topic :derisive: )))