10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

Lego didn´t pull the controversial products that were of there own making (remember the summer Mixel controversy) so I doubt they will be influenced by external events that don´t have a direct relation to this model.

Perhaps this set is down to retire this year anyway and will go due to natural causes but I don´t think they are going to pull the plug on a whim - production schedules are probably not that flexible.

Summer Mixel controversy?

We service VWs everyday and they are way overrated. Sorry to any fans out there. German cars are generally overrated IMO. I've had my share of BMWs and Mercedes and they are pricey and unreliable.

Ed, you are wrong only on very, very few occasions. But this is one of them imo - simply anecdotal evidence, nothing more to be seen here. Which cars in the world are more reliable than German ones? Pricey they are, but they are not unreliable by any means. And I am saying this while being very far from a patriot mentality, but simply because I think you are wrong.

Ed, you are wrong only on very, very few occasions. But this is one of them imo - simply anecdotal evidence, nothing more to be seen here. Which cars in the world are more reliable than German ones? Pricey they are, but they are not unreliable by any means. And I am saying this while being very far from a patriot mentality, but simply because I think you are wrong.

I had my Chevy pickup for 10 years and never fixed anything more serious than a leak in the rear diff. A friend of mine owned VW Jetta and it was in the shop all the time. He later bought a BMW that too needed repairs too often. He now drives a Dodge.

It's all a matter of chance in this day and age. We drive a Toyota Prius now (you know, the ones cabbies have put millions of miles and rarely need to repair because they have less moving parts) and a Minj Cooper (yep BMW). Cooper has been very reliable with only a minor problem in the three years we've had it (turbo air hose slipped partly off).

Did we buy the perfect cars? Nope, just the ones we wanted and we take good care of them.

The description on LEGO's official product page for Turg of the Lixers clan originally called him a "back of the bus window licker" which apparently offended somebody like a retard. Oh sorry, I forgot "retard" is not 'politically correct'. :pleasantry:

Hahahaha...okay, that's funny.  When I was in school, many many moons ago, only the cool kids sat in the back of the bus.

Remember that Lego dropped the Shell license, apparently because someone told them Shell was an oil company.  It's not hard to imagine Lego dropping the VW license in light of the incredibly deliberate and widespread fraud the corporation has been perpetrating.  We are talking about pollutant levels under actual driving conditions that are 40-50 x the legal limit, concealed by software with no purpose other than fraud.

• Like 1

Remember that Lego dropped the Shell license, apparently because someone told them Shell was an oil company.  It's not hard to imagine Lego dropping the VW license in light of the incredibly deliberate and widespread fraud the corporation has been perpetrating.  We are talking about pollutant levels under actual driving conditions that are 40-50 x the legal limit, concealed by software with no purpose other than fraud.

That is a very good point. May be time to snap up those crisp, fresh new boxes.

• Like 1

I put out my share of emissions,   I wonder how much more/less a VW would put out than mine?   I daily drive a  '13 gt500 with 800 hp.  Still get 25mpg hwy 16 city so really not too bad.  When pedal is put down mpg goes down substantially.  Never cared for BMW, Mercedes, or VWs enough to want to buy one.  I have yet to get T1 or mini.. will get one eventually.

Edited by conceptmachine

I edited my post right after it posted.   I'm easy going... i don't think it will phase me, but I'll read up on the whole story and then reply back, but most likely, no grudges.  Only way I'd be upset at all is if it kept me from getting the next GT500 coming soon.    Even then I'd still not care too much.

Edit:  Ok, that's one heck of a lot of cars and lots of extra emmisions to the environment.  Thankfully they are going to attempt to fix the issues.  You just don't think people would do something like this but anything to cheat the system and save money.  Look where it got them?  I'm sure they'll get what's coming to them.   I still don't hold a grudge.  Do I think it's wrong?!  Heck yeah!    They should plant 1,000,000 new trees to pay back to the environment and also pay something back to the owners for their troubles.

Edited by conceptmachine

You hold no grudges for what they did? You must not know the story.

True, but a lot of people don´t pay much attention to  the VW story and more particularly the Beetle story (I am not talking about Herbie).

Spoiler - it has something to do with an Austrian guy with a distinctive moustache and a singular outlook on certain minority groups and who also had issues with a different type of gas emission.....

Should Lego have made a licensed model of that car based on what it´s creator stood for at the time?

True, but a lot of people don´t pay much attention to  the VW story and more particularly the Beetle story (I am not talking about Herbie).

Spoiler - it has something to do with an Austrian guy with a distinctive moustache and a singular outlook on certain minority groups and who also had issues with a different type of gas emission.....

Should Lego have made a licensed model of that car based on what it´s creator stood for at the time?

My kids watched Herbie twice while driving to/from Legoland this past weekend. Maybe if VW didn't cater to hippie tree huggers in it's advertising it wouldn't be such a betrayal. 

Nobody respects Hitler's car