10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

lego is least environmental friendly toy around. It is made entirely of plastic that doesn't biodegrade. So i don't think the green peace consumers are fans of lego to begin with ;)

Durable plastic toys like lego are fine environmentally.  They last forever; why would you want to compost legos in the first place?

The opposite is true.  Lego's press release on the topic said the set was always slated to retire at the end of 2012.  In fact, it was available through LEGO Shop at Home well into 2013.  All the controversy achieved was forcing Lego to announce its retirement date well in advance.

Sorry I don't get it... are we not talking about the VW Camper Bus?

What retirement date did they announce in advance?

"Lego's press release on the topic said the set was always slated to retire at the end of 2012.  In fact, it was available through LEGO Shop at Home well into 2013."

Eh... it was available well into 2013... I mean it's still available through LEGO Shop at Home... so that's being available VERY well into 2013 I'd say. I'm just not following here, please clarify.

Sorry I don't get it... are we not talking about the VW Camper Bus?

What retirement date did they announce in advance?

"Lego's press release on the topic said the set was always slated to retire at the end of 2012.  In fact, it was available through LEGO Shop at Home well into 2013."

Eh... it was available well into 2013... I mean it's still available through LEGO Shop at Home... so that's being available VERY well into 2013 I'd say. I'm just not following here, please clarify.

9516 not 10220

Edited by dcdfan

I think the t1 is gonna retired around November.  

Maybe.  I actually could imagine the current scandal sending the T1 packing prematurely.  As an added bonus, I will never buy a (real) VW, ever.  The only bright spot in the whole affair is the $32 million pension the (ex) CEO of VW will be receiving.  With any luck (for brickpickers), he's an AFOL.

If VW's troubles could actually force the T1 from continued production at LEGO than doesn't the same logic apply to the Mini?

VW and Audi are the ones in trouble. "German Engineering" is taking a bit of a beating but I doubt it has any lasting impact on BMW (and therefore Mini).

What have BMW done wrong - apart from asset strip the Mini name and use it for every single car they make with 4 wheels and no luggage space?

Sorry I got my car manufacturers mixed up, was equating Mini to VW for some reason. But don't think BMW and every other manfacturer won't be under scrutiny now. If VW pulled this deception then I think there could be other culprits out there as well.

See it has begun:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/volkswagen-emissions-bmw-1.3241472

Sorry I got my car manufacturers mixed up, was equating Mini to VW for some reason. But don't think BMW and every other manfacturer won't be under scrutiny now. If VW pulled this deception then I think there could be other culprits out there as well.

See it has begun:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/volkswagen-emissions-bmw-1.3241472

But it´s been like this for years - has anyone been able to achieve the official fuel economy figures for their car in real driving conditions (emissions and consumption correlate)? Until the tests are carried out independently and randomly by a competent body with no vested interests it is clear that anyone with an influence is going to cook the books.

So about the 10220...........

Yeah... I don't think LEGO will alter their plans. The T1 Camper Van is as iconic as they come and has nothing to do with the scandal. It's new real world version is an electric hybrid so it shouldn't matter either unless LEGO was planning to extend the life of the set to coincide with the hype of it's expected announcement in early 2016.

If VW's troubles could actually force the T1 from continued production at LEGO than doesn't the same logic apply to the Mini?

The thing with the T1, is the folks who love it (most of 'em, anyway) consider themselves environmentalists.  At the rate things are going, by year's end VW will be down there with Dow and Monsanto when it comes to environmental street cred.

The thing with the T1, is the folks who love it (most of 'em, anyway) consider themselves environmentalists.  At the rate things are going, by year's end VW will be down there with Dow and Monsanto when it comes to environmental street cred.

Lego didn´t pull the controversial products that were of there own making (remember the summer Mixel controversy) so I doubt they will be influenced by external events that don´t have a direct relation to this model.

Perhaps this set is down to retire this year anyway and will go due to natural causes but I don´t think they are going to pull the plug on a whim - production schedules are probably not that flexible.

We service VWs everyday and they are way overrated. Sorry to any fans out there. German cars are generally overrated IMO. I've had my share of BMWs and Mercedes and they are pricey and unreliable.

I was never interested in them, since I lack service centers for many foreign models in my area.  If you ain't got a Mopar, Ford, or GM product in my neck of the woods, you isn't getting service.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 2

But it´s been like this for years - has anyone been able to achieve the official fuel economy figures for their car in real driving conditions (emissions and consumption correlate)? Until the tests are carried out independently and randomly by a competent body with no vested interests it is clear that anyone with an influence is going to cook the books.

It's all how you drive your car. I have a 2007 jetta and I get 5,3 l/100km. That is under what is said is average consumption. So yes, there are people that achieve this. It's hypocryte to point at VW and moan about they cheated. I don't approve and VW deserves to be punished for lying, but all those people that drive like morons and pull up like they are in a Fast and Furious movie are probably the first to moan about this scandal. So overrated, this crisis.

Edit: And to stay just a bit on topic, I do not think this scandal will have a big impact on the sales for this LEGO set

Edited by Neosphinx
  • Like 2