6866 - Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

fendiixx

I've got one on ebay ending in 3 hours with one bid at my start price of $40. Still have 9 more that I may or may not hold depending on how things go. But then I got them for $6 each so even $40 is a windfall.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281363413786?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

You got your sets for $6 each?  Wow, I have never seen or come across any deals like that......ever.  You are a lucky man!! 

You got your sets for $6 each?  Wow, I have never seen or come across any deals like that......ever.  You are a lucky man!! 

It required a perfect alignment of multiple discounts plus clearance but this was my best deal ever. And it was only last week!!!!

They are still consistently selling for $55 - $65 shipped.

In that case that is what I'm selling at. List price is $40 and shipping is $10-$15 depending on whether the buyer is here in Canada or in the US. A guy from Italy just asked about shipping but it's $45 for the cheapest rate. Mama mia!!!

The market has spoken. i got $52 PLUS shipping for it. I think I will sell maybe 5 more (one at a time naturally; I don't compete with myself) and save 4 for future growth possibilities. 

$52 + shipping for an auction isn't bad, but still a little less than I think this can fetch with a BIN price.  I sold one last week for $76 + 12.50 shipping to a fellow Canadian.  Of course, sometimes my listings sit for awhile without any sales, but I'd rather get the absolute highest return I think I can fetch regardless of the time needed to find that impatient (awesome!) buyer.

That being said, I certainly didn't score these for $6, so you really can't complain about your ROI% - could be tempting to sell a few for a little less than other sellers and put the $$ into GEs or T1s, (or Target Canada clearance) both of which *hopefully* retire this year. 

The market has spoken. i got $52 PLUS shipping for it. I think I will sell maybe 5 more (one at a time naturally; I don't compete with myself) and save 4 for future growth possibilities. 

Ok now don't bother with auctions and put the other sets on BIN at $59. They may be all sold within a month. :)

Hi all, I've recently checked on the price of the Wolverine Chopper set that retired a while ago and noticed that the price has over doubled from RRP.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are about what will happen now the new Wolverine is out? Will the price drop because Wolverine is Wolverine in spite of its new design, or will it continue to rise?!

I don't know whether to sell these now or keep hold of them for longer until they're worth more?

I had ten and unloaded them all right before the new set was released. I sold them each for $75 shipped. I haven't looked back. The same scenario played out with Captain America. I waited too long to sell my avenging cycle sets, and the release of the hydra set hurt it's value. I didn't want to make the same mistake with wolverine, although the deadpool figure should help it to retain value.

I don't think there is any harm in holding at least a few to the holiday season.  At the price point we're currently at, do you think most buyers are kids or collectors - I tend to lean towards the latter, and I think collectors would pay between $80-100 for this set eventually.

I had ten and unloaded them all right before the new set was released. I sold them each for $75 shipped. I haven't looked back. The same scenario played out with Captain America. I waited too long to sell my avenging cycle sets, and the release of the hydra set hurt it's value. I didn't want to make the same mistake with wolverine, although the deadpool figure should help it to retain value.

Was the Cap in the cycle set an original costume or was it updated from the movie? Is it the same in both sets?

I think unless a person wanted to build an army of those aliens from the Avengers movie then there isn't much of a reason to buy the Avenging Cycle over the new Hydra set. Also the newer version is more true to the comics than the other movie one. Anyway, I would think that Deadpool and perhaps classic Magneto should help the older set retain some value although perhaps not as high with the X-Men vs. Sentinel set currently available featuring the more traditional Wolverine.

Was the Cap in the cycle set an original costume or was it updated from the movie? Is it the same in both sets?

The two are completely different. Avenging Cycle (left) / Hydra (right)

sh014.jpgsh106.jpg

I think unless a person wanted to build an army of those aliens from the Avengers movie then there isn't much of a reason to buy the Avenging Cycle over the new Hydra set. Also the newer version is more true to the comics than the other movie one. Anyway, I would think that Deadpool and perhaps classic Magneto should help the older set retain some value although perhaps not as high with the X-Men vs. Sentinel set currently available featuring the more traditional Wolverine.

The two are completely different. Avenging Cycle (left) / Hydra (right)

Do you think the x-men sentinel set will go up once it's eol? Seems to have good minifigures. How about the Hydra set? They both look good and I think I'll be purchasing both.

As a Wolverine fan, I think this has a better potential to keep growing just due to the fact that his uniform is much more iconic than the different Cap ones. Collectors are going to want the yellow/blue and the yellow/brown versions. I sold a few, and will hold a couple at least. 

Do you think the x-men sentinel set will go up once it's eol? Seems to have good minifigures. How about the Hydra set? They both look good and I think I'll be purchasing both.

In regards to value of Captain America vs Hydra, I believe if the more traditional Captain America minifigure doesn't help then the Red Skull one should. He has been Captain America's arch rival practically since day one. Having one character without the other seems incomplete and hopefully he should retain exclusivity to that set. On to the X-Men vs The Sentinel, you have the original 'old school' Wolverine, Cyclops, and Storm; that is one heck of a trifecta for comic book enthusiasts. The Sentinel isn't perfect nor the Blackbird but having both officially in Lego is a great thing.

I am personally planning on buying both for myself eventually. I would definitely wait a while for a discount before acquiring the X-Men set since just like Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout among some others, it is a tad overpriced in my opinion and should go on sale in due time.

X-Men Sentinel Set is a no brainer(unless they have a massive X-Men line release), even though the set should of been so much more.

Everyone on here are always mentioning how they get killer discounts and buy only when they get 30% to 50% off. I can't seem to find deals like that and am wondering if it's worth buying the Sentinel set at full price or a little less than full price. I also don't have the time to go to WalMart every weekend to search for deals. I have a pretty busy schedule and can't get around searching for deals like I would like to. I feel like the only way I'm only going to acquire sets is if I pay close to full price for them.

In regards to value of Captain America vs Hydra, I believe if the more traditional Captain America minifigure doesn't help then the Red Skull one should. He has been Captain America's arch rival practically since day one. Having one character without the other seems incomplete and hopefully he should retain exclusivity to that set. On to the X-Men vs The Sentinel, you have the original 'old school' Wolverine, Cyclops, and Storm; that is one heck of a trifecta for comic book enthusiasts. The Sentinel isn't perfect nor the Blackbird but having both officially in Lego is a great thing.I am personally planning on buying both for myself eventually. I would definitely wait a while for a discount before acquiring the X-Men set since just like Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout among some others, it is a tad overpriced in my opinion and should go on sale in due time.

Sweet. Thank you, TheOrcKing. You are a plethora of knowledge. Where can I go on here to find the history of sets and what came before? I want to be informed on what sets have what and why a newer set or older set might be better than the other. I want to do some homework and learn more about older and current sets of all themes.

Everyone on here are always mentioning how they get killer discounts and buy only when they get 30% to 50% off. I can't seem to find deals like that and am wondering if it's worth buying the Sentinel set at full price or a little less than full price. I also don't have the time to go to WalMart every weekend to search for deals. I have a pretty busy schedule and can't get around searching for deals like I would like to. I feel like the only way I'm only going to acquire sets is if I pay close to full price for them.

If deals are a rare sight in your area then you may get stuck paying retail but I would at least suggest waiting a little while to see if you can purchase some for $5-$10 off. Course if all else fails; you could buy a few online. I'm sure sometime down the line Amazon will have it listed on sale for $39.99. In any case, this could become another set with results somewhat similar to Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout when it retired so being forced into paying retail may not be so bad. I can't guarantee the outcome but you never know.

Sweet. Thank you, TheOrcKing. You are a plethora of knowledge. Where can I go on here to find the history of sets and what came before? I want to be informed on what sets have what and why a newer set or older set might be better than the other. I want to do some homework and learn more about older and current sets of all themes.

:thankyou: I mainly use Bricker whenever I wish to quickly find information about specific sets. You can find sets by category alphabetically or the year. You can also see every Lego related item released in a year. My favorite part is how on the side of a set page for example Wolverine's Chopper Showdown there is a list of links to all the main Lego sites from Bricklink, Brickset, Brickipedia, Lugnet, Rebrickable, Brickpicker ;), and the product page found at Lego.com. It's sort of a link to other helpful links. The search bar is helpful as it shows the results with an image of the box for what you are typing as you type.