6866 - Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

fendiixx

I'm not going to argue about your market. You know it better but I also know you argue most things. I do not know about your taxes or import fees or whatever.

These sets have been easy to find discounted for a long time. Amazon has had these for ages cheap. Now all of a sudden people are surprised how they have jumped above retail.

There is money to be made and people do not pay attention to the signs and signals out there.

nah Ill agree with you here..... I fully agree on discounted items and availability of the discount.... I think there is no excuse missing on those if you wanted them... then again I missed VC kinda.... for waiting too long.

Ofcourse people are surprised... Maybe we all failed to evaluate the market of LEGO investing now (or most of us) quite honestly I did not think FB will do as it does... but we shall see in 6-12 months... I barely follow the superheroes (just starting to watch movie and stuff) and i see no demand for them in my country... then again we have overpriced stuff here lol

I definetly agree with you that money is to be made but we all sometimes miss the signals... its the way of the life :D

I like arctic Batman. I will have a lot of them - one thing though. As much as I like the Aquaman Minifigure, he doesn't sell worth crap alone. And really the arctic batman doesn't move as quickly as the other types. So I think its definitely going to do well, but I think the least of the batman stuff right now.

Extremis is pretty good although I don't love the Killian minifigure. But War Machine is money. I have not really taken a big peak at the superman sets yet. I though the movie was crap - but others liked it so it could do well.

I would disagree and would have sales to prove it. I consistently send stuff to the EU super Heroes related. And in fact, I also have had no problem selling sets internationally. I sold a Hulk yesterday to someone in Asia for 99$ + 55+ shipping.

Thats another one - the Venom minifigure and Nick Fury dont move at all. I was suprised - I thought they were cool figures. Now the spiderman and cycle fly though.

How long ago were you saying the same things about the Wolverine set? It was easy to find a few weeks ago. That War Machine set will be the same I believe.

Venom is in the Juniors line so might not rise as much.

How long ago was it you said the Wolverine set was easy to find, cheap and can't see making much money in the immediate future? Give these sets time. Ve

nah Ill agree with you here..... I fully agree on discounted items and availability of the discount.... I think there is no excuse missing on those if you wanted them... then again I missed VC kinda.... for waiting too long.

Ofcourse people are surprised... Maybe we all failed to evaluate the market of LEGO investing now (or most of us) quite honestly I did not think FB will do as it does... but we shall see in 6-12 months... I barely follow the superheroes (just starting to watch movie and stuff) and i see no demand for them in my country... then again we have overpriced stuff here lol

I definetly agree with you that money is to be made but we all sometimes miss the signals... its the way of the life :D

I also think a lot has to do with a lack of patience too. A lot of people wanting EOL like the Zombies in four months but 2 year run really is standard on normal sets. We all know it takes one person to take everything off a store shelf and how it doesn't take long to empty Amazon's inventory when we suspect a discontinuation.

• Like 1

hey whats the best way to ship this set? anyone have a cheap way to do it without parting it out or or only shipping the bags. i beleive this set wont make the first class parcel does it? i have really onlysold larger sets, so dealing with the small sets are new to me. thanks in advance.

Priority mailing box non-flat rate and ship at a weight of 2 pounds. Comes out to between $5-$10 ish depending on where you ship it.

• 2 months later...

Help, I think I'm turning into a collector. I bought 2. I know, I should have bought dozens. I sold one which will cover the cost of both plus a small profit. Can I justify holding on to the 2nd. WIll it be worth more one day, years from now or am I being silly and sell before new releases hurt the value. I'm not attached when I have 5 of a set but, the last one.

New releases hurt the value. I don't think so with this set. There is one more set to be released in August. You won't be turning into a collector, you will be blossoming into an investor, which is far better than a quick flipper in the evolutionary ranks. "will it be worth more one day" Well what do you think, a set that has more than doubled in price within 4 months of being retired. I think you need to sell it now and learn the lesson the hard way. Have you really not got a clue, have you never heard of the issue #1 comic of Spiderman selling for a million dollars, or maybe an easier one for you, the star wars & batman lego sets that now sell for up to 10 times their value. class closed.

• Like 1

When people talk about new releases hurting the value, sure there is truth to it, but it is with sets like an at-at or MF, this sentinel set will not even be a rerelease, it is different, sure its got a new wolvie, but harry potter and batman figures also appear in every set of the themes. To really spell it out, ask your self why people spends thousands on a vintage boba fett figure that is exactly the same but with a different card backing, say the Canadian version.

• Like 1

Another example, lego set 7255, hovered around 50 dollars pounds for a few years, now in the last 2 years that has more than doubled. This was a $20 set that probably retired late 2006, early 2007.

When people talk about new releases hurting the value, sure there is truth to it, but it is with sets like an at-at or MF, this sentinel set will not even be a rerelease, it is different, sure its got a new wolvie, but harry potter and batman figures also appear in every set of the themes. To really spell it out, ask your self why people spends thousands on a vintage boba fett figure that is exactly the same but with a different card backing, say the Canadian version.

New releases hurt the value. I don't think so with this set. There is one more set to be released in August. You won't be turning into a collector, you will be blossoming into an investor, which is far better than a quick flipper in the evolutionary ranks. "will it be worth more one day" Well what do you think, a set that has more than doubled in price within 4 months of being retired. I think you need to sell it now and learn the lesson the hard way. Have you really not got a clue, have you never heard of the issue #1 comic of Spiderman selling for a million dollars, or maybe an easier one for you, the star wars & batman lego sets that now sell for up to 10 times their value. class closed.

There are a few things that hurt sets when they are refreshed. Newer sets are available at retail for far cheaper prices and usually are more morden looking (e.g. maybe more SNOT, newer elements, diff colors). People want sets for minifigs and special things included (e.g. maxi-sized minifigs). When a set is refreshed, most people stop looking at the brick elements included in the older sets and focus on the minifigs. If those minifigs are also refreshed, prices will further decrease because the older set is now looked as regular elements with just minifigs. sellers begin unloading the original set but unlike the past, they are competing against other sellers doing the dame thing,

Let's take the 2006 Batman 1 Batcave (7783) . This set is far larger than 6860. (It also contains the still exclusive Alfred minifig. Before 2012, 7783 was selling consistently for $350 used and $550-$600 new / sealed.). After 6860 as available for 6 months, 7783 prices fell too $225-$300 used while new sets hovered around $425 with rare instances of $500+. The sets bottomed out at $175 used and $425 new when Mr, Freeze was refreshed along with another Robin and Penguin. Prices have been slowly climbing again only due to 6860 being sold-out at times and the Alfred minifig. Additionally,, more 7783s were parted out than before so less are available for sale so supply vs. demand swing it's way again for a while but only after a deep depreciation. The Alfred minifig is still helping hold the value, This is just one example where a refreshed hurt the original's value big-time. If not for 6860, most used 7783 sets would be fetching at least $450 today even with the Robin and Penguin refreshes.

A more drastic example would be what the 2010 Slave 1 did to the original's value. The older Jabba's Palace can now be had for a song and dance. Even the superior designed 6210 Sail Barge is selling for far less than 1 year ago (used sets couldn't be had for under $200 in late 2012. I still can

• Like 4

Thanks for the opinions guys. The reason I asked, it seems these small superhero sets are driven by the mini figs and members are alway bemoaning new sets coming out with that mini fig. I would for example not ask about the Helms Deep which is driven by the set itself.

Thanks for the opinions guys. The reason I asked, it seems these small superhero sets are driven by the mini figs and members are alway bemoaning new sets coming out with that mini fig. I would for example not ask about the Helms Deep which is driven by the set itself.

To some degree, yes, I would just add one thing if I may. Sets of all sizes are somewhat driven by minifigs if they are included even Helm's Deep. They have a few exclusive ones, right? But the build and element count itself also attracts demand (LOTR, MOC, and Castle fans).

It also helps availability was somewhere between 20 and 24 months, I need to check.

There are a few things that hurt sets when they are refreshed. Newer sets are available at retail for far cheaper prices and usually are more morden looking (e.g. maybe more SNOT, newer elements, diff colors). People want sets for minifigs and special things included (e.g. maxi-sized minifigs). When a set is refreshed, most people stop looking at the brick elements included in the older sets and focus on the minifigs. If those minifigs are also refreshed, prices will further decrease because the older set is now looked as regular elements with just minifigs. sellers begin unloading the original set but unlike the past, they are competing against other sellers doing the dame thing,

Let's take the 2006 Batman 1 Batcave (7783) . This set is far larger than 6860. (It also contains the still exclusive Alfred minifig. Before 2012, 7783 was selling consistently for $350 used and $550-$600 new / sealed.). After 6860 as available for 6 months, 7783 prices fell too $225-$300 used while new sets hovered around $425 with rare instances of $500+. The sets bottomed out at $175 used and $425 new when Mr, Freeze was refreshed along with another Robin and Penguin. Prices have been slowly climbing again only due to 6860 being sold-out at times and the Alfred minifig. Additionally,, more 7783s were parted out than before so less are available for sale so supply vs. demand swing it's way again for a while but only after a deep depreciation. The Alfred minifig is still helping hold the value, This is just one example where a refreshed hurt the original's value big-time. If not for 6860, most used 7783 sets would be fetching at least $450 today even with the Robin and Penguin refreshes.

A more drastic example would be what the 2010 Slave 1 did to the original's value. The older Jabba's Palace can now be had for a song and dance. Even the superior designed 6210 Sail Barge is selling for far less than 1 year ago (used sets couldn't be had for under $200 in late 2012. I still can

• 1 month later...

What a set this is turning out to be. Now selling for 300% and above MSRP shipped on ebay. The number of listings of the set have slowly been trickling down and now there are no shipped BIN's available for less than $60 on ebay.

Ya, I`m kicking myself over this one. Could have bought tons, but didn`t think it would be worth nearly this much this quickly. Got a couple, but a couple is irrelevant at this point. Basically I didn`t give it any thought   :banghead: Who knew Wolverine was so dang popular? 

I have kicked myself many times over this set to. I was planning on stocking up right when it went poof. I was lucky enough to grab about 10 in panic mode at MSRP before they were completely gone.

I think I have 6 left and have not decided yet if I should hold or sell. The new X-men set could effect the price a little, but to me this set has Ice Dragon/Zombies written all over it and I think it could get to $100 by X-Mas.