6866 - Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

fendiixx

As naf stated, it seems these $5 figures were fakes.

I didn't know that fake deadpool minifigs existed... :sorry:

There are a lot of fakes on ebay, seems to be most prevalent in the super heroes line.  Rule of thumb, if a price is too good to be true, it probably is.

There are a lot of fakes on ebay, seems to be most prevalent in the super heroes line.  Rule of thumb, if a price is too good to be true, it probably is.

You are absolutely right. If it's too good to be true, 99.99% it is. The legit figs are in the $20s. When I saw the earlier post about cheap Deadpool figs I had to check it out. Sure enough it's those Lego compatible knock offs. I swear, there are fakes of everything and it's annoying to have to sort through those when you are trying to find a legit figure.

I think this one may be coming back guys get ready. I came up with this using the date codes on my sets the product placement on the Lego site a store worker said they were ordering more next week and customer service told me they would be available again soon. Also I heard jupiter and Mars would be aligning so I am getting my checkbook ready.

I think this one may be coming back guys get ready. I came up with this using the date codes on my sets the product placement on the Lego site a store worker said they were ordering more next week and customer service told me they would be available again soon. Also I heard jupiter and Mars would be aligning so I am getting my checkbook ready.

Desperate attempt to bring down the secondary market price of 6866 ? ;)

I just realized that the set represents a scene from the movie Wolverine Origins (when wolverine jumps on a helicopter thanks to an old-style motorcyle).

Fun to see that it may have been obvious for a lot of person except me. ^^'

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't have any of these sets myself, but I'll tell you what I do when I have a large investment in a set this widely counterfeited: report the counterfeiters!  Use the report item link in the counterfeit listings and copy/paste a link to the LEGO Shop at Home listing for the original item (6866).  eBay will eventually take down the counterfeit listings, especially if you also call them and report the sellers by user ID.  I've been watching this set all year as a 'canary in the coal mine' for counterfeiting, and it has dropped from $80 to $60 in the US, perhaps approaching $50 now.  It is definitely not helping that illegal copies of the entire MISB set can be purchased for $15 with free shipping from China.  I report these listings when I come across them, but mostly focus on those sets I am invested in myself.  You have to be willing to defend your investment.

• Like 1

I don't have any of these sets myself, but I'll tell you what I do when I have a large investment in a set this widely counterfeited: report the counterfeiters!  Use the report item link in the counterfeit listings and copy/paste a link to the S@H listing for the original item (6866).  eBay will eventually take down the counterfeit listings, especially if you also call them and report the sellers by user ID.  I've been watching this set all year as a 'canary in the coal mine' for counterfeiting, and it has dropped from $80 to $60 in the US, perhaps approaching $50 now.  It is definitely not helping that illegal copies of the entire MISB set can be purchased for $15 with free shipping from China.  I report these listings when I come across them, but mostly focus on those sets I am invested in myself.  You have to be willing to defend your investment.

I agree.  Every little bit helps.  When Jeff changed the homepage the other day and we changed the eBay feed, a whole page of knockoff Superhero minifigures popped up.  40 for $40!!!  Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference from the pictures and I guarantee there are a ton of Mom and Dads that are buying these for their kids instead of the real ones.  

• Like 2

Wow... now that might definately be the biggest thread to lego investors. I also battle them and report them. But nothing is done about it. The same sellers remain selling these fakes. You also can send the link directly to Marvel. So maybe they can start an infringement case. I cannot acces the Marvel from here (work). Otherwise I would post the link.

Wow... now that might definately be the biggest thread to lego investors. I also battle them and report them. But nothing is done about it. The same sellers remain selling these fakes. You also can send the link directly to Marvel. So maybe they can start an infringement case. I cannot acces the Marvel from here (work). Otherwise I would post the link.

I think (not 100% sure so beat me up if I'm wrong) that it's legal to reproduce lego minifigs in china. Their laws are not the same as here and they can copy whatever they want. The problem is that they are not allowed to resell these minifigs on ebay to a country which does not allow illegal copy.

So marvel could ask to stop selling these minifigs, or ask to ebay that they ban the seller, and the reseller will say "ok" or just be banned, and "another"  ebay reseller (the same of course) will re-appear the next hour because the minifigs are already produced and the china factory still produce those illegal (in EU and the USA) minifigs.

It's a waste of time for marvel, and I think they already know that. Also, if marvel close a reseller account thanks to ebay, it can also mean the kids will not receive their already paid  and illegal -but-i-swear-i-didn't-know-it-was minifigs an be upset on forums, giving marvel a bad reputation (even for honest buyers).

Edited by biniou

Update:

I was scouting ebay germany last night and I almost fell of my chair. 6866's MISB are sold now for 50 euro!? Two months ago it was still around 80 euro.

Now I will be stuck with my 6866's and be happy to get my money back?

I wish we could share stock! I'm not having trouble moving my last few on this side of the pond. The fakes seem to be hurting parter-outers more than those selling NISB (part speculation on my part) - the kind of people paying $80 for a small Superhero set probably aren't also buying fake minifigs.

• Like 1

Ebay will end listings due to counterfeit reports, and eventually ban individual sellers.  I wish they acted faster, and more forcefully, but it is useful to report these listings.  It's like any crime.  Robberies keep being committed, so should victims stop reporting them?  Of course not.  The level of counterfeit sales will never be zero, but it will be much lower if legal resellers pay attention to counterfeit listings and report them.  Once a seller is banned, they can have a friend make a new account, but new selling accounts face lots of restrictions that at least keep their sales volume down.

Note: [email protected] is the email address for reporting counterfeiting to Marvel.  You can tell them that an eBay search for 'super heroes minifigures' will find thousands of counterfeit Marvel-licensed figures.

I think (not 100% sure so beat me up if I'm wrong) that it's legal to reproduce lego minifigs in china. Their laws are not the same as here and they can copy whatever they want. The problem is that they are not allowed to resell these minifigs on ebay to a country which does not allow illegal copy.

So marvel could ask to stop selling these minifigs, or ask to ebay that they ban the seller, and the reseller will say "ok" or just be banned, and "another"  ebay reseller (the same of course) will re-appear the next hour because the minifigs are already produced and the china factory still produce those illegal (in EU and the USA) minifigs.

It's a waste of time for marvel, and I think they already know that. Also, if marvel close a reseller account thanks to ebay, it can also mean the kids will not receive their already paid  and illegal -but-i-swear-i-didn't-know-it-was minifigs an be upset on forums, giving marvel a bad reputation (even for honest buyers).

Lego legal told me that it is illegal to do an exact duplicate in China. China completely agrees with them there. The problem is the court's interpretation can allow for a slight change (something as simple as different packaging) to cause Lego to lose the case.

And then you have the issue of the sheer number of counterfeiters and the number that will simply jump in and replace those eliminated.

Edited by minicoopers11
  • Like 1