10937 - Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

StarCityBrickCompany

What is anyones take on AA after it retires, whenever that is.

When I look at ebay it seems like there is a lot more sellers of AA than TH or R2.

I know it can have a completely different customer base.

I am trying to figure out how excited to be about this set.

TH yes

R2 yes

HH yes

Tumbler whenever it goes yes

But this one?  I do not see people foaming at the mouth "on brickpicker" about loving this set.

Are there true AA believers out there?

I'm also on the fence about this one.  My impression is it seems to be more of a kid's playset than impressive display model as other expensive sets are.  So, are the AFOL's with money going to be spending over $350-400 after it retires?  Likewise, are parents going be buying it for their kids for that price once it retires, or just buy them whatever new Batman set is out there?

I'm sure it will appreciate nicely once it retires, but compared to the other sets you mentioned it could have a lower ceiling.

In terms of potential I would put it on par with R2. This set has some issues and it is hoarded more than the others. Batman is lego's best selling theme and Batman is hugely popular. It will make money but it is not top shelf like the Tumbler. A remake down the line is certainly possible. The best sets have already gone this year IMO.

In terms of potential I would put it on par with R2. This set has some issues and it is hoarded more than the others. Batman is lego's best selling theme and Batman is hugely popular. It will make money but it is not top shelf like the Tumbler. A remake down the line is certainly possible. The best sets have already gone this year IMO.

Fair but if I remember (and I may remember incorrectly) you are not bullish on R2.  Which I am.  But leave R2 out of it, you see this as a moderate not great performer - thanks for feedback...

Feel free to post sales numbers showing batman is the top seller for lego.......or are we just throwing out guesses??
  • Like 1

The Bat Cave hasn't exactly been pulling up trees here in EU since EOL. I think I'll be swerving this one. Probably better options out there.

That is one of the issues with this set. While Batman is the most popular of all the super heroes, the super hero genre is not as big in Europe as North America. Same story for the winter theme. Having said that this set is one piece any super hero or batman collector will want in their collections. 

I'm also on the fence about this one.  My impression is it seems to be more of a kid's playset than impressive display model as other expensive sets are.  So, are the AFOL's with money going to be spending over $350-400 after it retires?  Likewise, are parents going be buying it for their kids for that price once it retires, or just buy them whatever new Batman set is out there?

I'm sure it will appreciate nicely once it retires, but compared to the other sets you mentioned it could have a lower ceiling.

For the price, this set looks small once built.  It's only the front facade of the building, the whole back is open.  But having said that, any serious Batman Lego collector will have to have this set and the batcave.

While I think this set will do great, I believe in R2 more, so I've been stockpiling more R2's than Arkhams.  This is purely because of the movie coming out and the fact that my kid and all of his friends are R2 crazy right now.  The droid has never been more popular.

Its a great set along with HH, very unique when displayed.  I picked one up yesterday at Legoland California as I do not ever see it there, but they had lots.  My two Lego stores have been out of AA for the last month or so.  I have been picking up TOO, R2D2, PS and AA along wtih EEE since GE, HH, TH and SSD are gone.  Don't want to buy last minute in December/January but as always, we don't know which ones will retire. 

Should investors be encouraged or disencuaged if 6857 is the bottom line?

Investors should learn not to invest in TRU exclusives unless you want to wait a year or two longer to sell.  They live on and on and on and on.... the fact that this hasn't sold out at TRU yet is discouraging.  There's either no interest in this set or there are so many out there that the market is saturated.

Edited by naf

Should investors be encouraged or disencuaged if 6857 is the bottom line?

That isn't the set to compare it to. AA is another Batman set that is a winner as it passes my build and display test. It also depends on your definition of winner, it seems that an increasing number of people are looking for 100% increases overnight and that isn't realistic. I see this as a $400-500 set in the future and that's enough profit and annual growth rate for me.

One other note that Ed made, is that it is Batman - there aren't really any losers out there so it seems that there is less risk in this set. I prefer that this set be ignored so that I may easily accumulate more (limit 2...)

Ex Astris, Scientia.

Investors should learn not to invest in TRU exclusives unless you want to wait a year or two longer to sell.  They live on and on and on and on.... the fact that this hasn't sold out at TRU yet is discouraging.  There's either no interest in this set or there are so many out there that the market is saturated.

With all that the price increased over 50% above msrp. I see that as a good sigh for batman sets.