Selling through Amazon FBA

appleseed1967

20 hours ago, chrisynd said:

Got the same note. This caused me to have a few listings kicked to "inactive". This was for action figure listings that I had active inventory for and have sold in the past. The listings brand is "DC Comics" (in reality, they are Mattel products).

Despite having sold the ASINs for at least a year, and despite having active FBA inventory, I was not approved to sell "DC Comics" brand when clicking through for Request Approval (document submission requested).

Looks like this one will sting; have to do a removal and hawk it on eBay I suppose.

If you don't get auto approved or don't have invoices just open a case and have them change the brand to the manufacturer (Fisher Price etc). They will ask for a pic of the UPC and a link to a website, but quickly and easily done.

20 hours ago, chrisynd said:

This has been a major problem the last few months. I've documented at least a grand worth of lost inventory (literally, lost) in receiving now with this problem. It's not tied to any specific receiving warehouse, type of product, etc - just seems to be maybe 2-3% of items sent in just don't get scanned.

I won't bore you with the details, but I've been back and forth across half a dozen cases (manually opened) with Seller Support about it providing everything from box weights to inventory receipts. I've also started documenting, by photo, the contents of inbound boxes. So far, Amazon has rejected all of this evidence and refused to reimburse.

As part of the new receiving process, every inbound shipment that has a "problem" as "automatically investigated" and so that means there's no room to even request a reimbursement. So far, I've only been stonewalled. Lots of other sellers dealing with this receiving change: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=4113250&tstart=0#4113250

For us we have narrowed it down to our bundled items. They get received in full but the warehouse workers are opening polybags or boxes and splitting up sets and bundles. They then go to FC Processing but because the FNSKU label is missing they cannot track the inventory so it gets deducted from the received count. Now we plaster multiple FNSKU labels, ready to ship labels, do not seperate labels on all sides of boxes and polybags. We also put additional FNSKU labels on the inside items. This has solved the problem for us completely. Annoying but you have to make your shipments completely idiot proof because with the volume they are doing the workers have literally half a second to decide to open a bundle or look over it for a FNSKU label.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, asharerin said:

For us we have narrowed it down to our bundled items. They get received in full but the warehouse workers are opening polybags or boxes and splitting up sets and bundles. They then go to FC Processing but because the FNSKU label is missing they cannot track the inventory so it gets deducted from the received count. Now we plaster multiple FNSKU labels, ready to ship labels, do not seperate labels on all sides of boxes and polybags. We also put additional FNSKU labels on the inside items. This has solved the problem for us completely. Annoying but you have to make your shipments completely idiot proof because with the volume they are doing the workers have literally half a second to decide to open a bundle or look over it for a FNSKU label.

I wish it was that easy.

For example; send a single shipment of 4x Sopwith Camels. They receive 3. Send a photo of the very box that was packed and sent to them with the 4x Sopwiths in the box just before sealing it up along with the FBA Shipment ID label on it. Close as I can get to "proving" it was sent; they don't care. Explain to them that the shipment weight matches 4x Camels plus box/padding so if there was only 3x sent, there's a ~4-5 pound gap in the weight measured - they don't care.

This is constant. They're simple shipments. A box of 20x of the same item is received as 19x. It's not just Lego either, having the same problem with POPs.

55 minutes ago, chrisynd said:

I wish it was that easy.

For example; send a single shipment of 4x Sopwith Camels. They receive 3. Send a photo of the very box that was packed and sent to them with the 4x Sopwiths in the box just before sealing it up along with the FBA Shipment ID label on it. Close as I can get to "proving" it was sent; they don't care. Explain to them that the shipment weight matches 4x Camels plus box/padding so if there was only 3x sent, there's a ~4-5 pound gap in the weight measured - they don't care.

This is constant. They're simple shipments. A box of 20x of the same item is received as 19x. It's not just Lego either, having the same problem with POPs.

Sorry to hear that. Our losses have only been $25 or less each time. Did not realize they were also stealing items like a big lego sets. Something fishy definitely going on at their warehouses.

I've lost about 1.5k this year in inventorying problems. 

One major instance was 3x 75054 at at. I bubble wrapped them and forgot to sticker the outside. They never inventoried them. Lost forever.

I've accidentally put additional items in one box versus another. They rarely get picked up as extras. Lost completely.

I understand these are my fault and if it was limited to these scenarios I'd be fine with it. But I also experience situations BA is talking about. Where onsie twosie things go missing or entire items are missed.

I planned on writing off the losses which still isn't ideal obviously. However I feel like it's hard to prove to the feds that these items just vanished at Amazon. Especially when they aren't willing to take responsibility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I’ve had situations were they would short me on an item and then  receive more than I sent on another in the same shipment and then claim their numbers are accurate . 

Lucky you. At least they are making you whole right?

problem occurs when they are eating your items.

at least my problem has been particular DC so I just leave the shipment open and never send it there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

Lucky you. At least they are making you whole right?

problem occurs when they are eating your items.

at least my problem has been particular DC so I just leave the shipment open and never send it there.

i wouldn't call it lucky, most of the item the "extra items " are cheaper in value  than the lost  ones and they are most likely adding it to my inventory from someone else's and there is no knowing is their's is legitimate/authetic . 

on a similar note MDW2 ( Joliet, IL ) has been a constant headache for me and i've written to amazon a couple of times but they didn't give a crap   , 

1 hour ago, Bold-Arrow said:

i wouldn't call it lucky, most of the item the "extra items " are cheaper in value  than the lost  ones and they are most likely adding it to my inventory from someone else's and there is no knowing is their's is legitimate/authetic . 

on a similar note MDW2 ( Joliet, IL ) has been a constant headache for me and i've written to amazon a couple of times but they didn't give a crap   , 

i am not big enough that i have contacts who listens to me :)

small timer but been lucky so far .... that they have only tried to subtract units after receiving in full. haven't played other dirty game with me yet.... 

3 hours ago, landphieran said:

I've lost about 1.5k this year in inventorying problems. 

One major instance was 3x 75054 at at. I bubble wrapped them and forgot to sticker the outside. They never inventoried them. Lost forever.

I've accidentally put additional items in one box versus another. They rarely get picked up as extras. Lost completely.

I understand these are my fault and if it was limited to these scenarios I'd be fine with it. But I also experience situations BA is talking about. Where onsie twosie things go missing or entire items are missed.

I planned on writing off the losses which still isn't ideal obviously. However I feel like it's hard to prove to the feds that these items just vanished at Amazon. Especially when they aren't willing to take responsibility.

wow that's a lot of losses.. assuming that your volume is much higher to cover it. i mean you must be sending in 300+ units/week to absorb that kind of losses.

Edited by newbie77

I had to take a loss on a 70912 cause I forgot to apply the bar code label and it was never found at the FBA center. I could not even file a missing item case as AMZ stated they had done their own investigation and that the set was missing. I sent them pictures of the shipping box showing the set in it (I always take pics of every single box I ship to various FBA centers). I even reconstructed the weight of the shipping box from the weight of each items in the content to prove to them that the set could not have been missing. Nope, to no avail, they denied everything I gave them which to me was borderline dishonesty from CS. I could not convince them they lost it. So, you can imagine how thrilled I am now that AMZ just paid me back for two customer damaged 60125 sets that did not make it back to my inventory. Take that AMZ. If one is really careful with packing and shipping for FBA but also with following-up on returns I think in the end what they take from you and what you take from them is balanced. At least this has been my case this year.....so far.

Just a heads up make sure to collect sales tax on your home state sales, and always report your income even if you don't receive a 1099. States are beginning to get court orders for lists of sellers on Amazon and ebay going back to 2012 to get back sales taxes and obviously income tax if this was not reported on your tax returns. Mass. is the first and will be getting this list in a few weeks. It is unknown if Amazon will comply and provide Mass the identities of those sellers or will fight the court order. Other states are following suit. I would say it is a good bet amazon and ebay will  collect sales tax automatically on orders going to your registered home states by 2019. The days of ducking the 1099 are over.

7 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

I don't think amazon will fight it. Now the bigger problem will be for FBA and sales tax compliance I.e. Sales tax collection based on where items are located. This will be PITA for small time FBA sellers.

That is a non-issue until they overturn the federal law. This congress isn't passing anything anytime soon. That is why the states are instead going after all of the 3p sellers registered in their states going back 5 years. 

16 hours ago, newbie77 said:

i am not big enough that i have contacts who listens to me :)

small timer but been lucky so far .... that they have only tried to subtract units after receiving in full. haven't played other dirty game with me yet.... 

wow that's a lot of losses.. assuming that your volume is much higher to cover it. i mean you must be sending in 300+ units/week to absorb that kind of losses.

I have been selling 30-50 items a day since the beginning of the year (so yes about 300 units a week). This is my first year targeting non lego items. Its been a lot of work to say the least.

Working a career and the Amazon volume is a bit much. I know my margins are suffering as I tend to take loses to preserve time. I'm really looking forward to the holidays to "reset and reflect".

It will give me time to go through all the asinine refund reasons Amazon is using and presumably not making me whole for. "General Error" "Missed Fulfillment Promise" "General Adjustment" -- I'm coming for you.

12 minutes ago, landphieran said:

I have been selling 30-50 items a day since the beginning of the year (so yes about 300 units a week). This is my first year targeting non lego items. Its been a lot of work to say the least.

Working a career and the Amazon volume is a bit much. I know my margins are suffering as I tend to take loses to preserve time. I'm really looking forward to the holidays to "reset and reflect".

It will give me time to go through all the asinine refund reasons Amazon is using and presumably not making me whole for. "General Error" "Missed Fulfillment Promise" "General Adjustment" -- I'm coming for you.

30-50 items a day? Holy hell, that's a lot.

And they're all Lego sets?

3 hours ago, asharerin said:

Just a heads up make sure to collect sales tax on your home state sales, and always report your income even if you don't receive a 1099. States are beginning to get court orders for lists of sellers on Amazon and ebay going back to 2012 to get back sales taxes and obviously income tax if this was not reported on your tax returns. Mass. is the first and will be getting this list in a few weeks. It is unknown if Amazon will comply and provide Mass the identities of those sellers or will fight the court order. Other states are following suit. I would say it is a good bet amazon and ebay will  collect sales tax automatically on orders going to your registered home states by 2019. The days of ducking the 1099 are over.

Can you link the source?

3 minutes ago, Lego_Monsters said:

30-50 items a day? Holy hell, that's a lot.

And they're all Lego sets?

Lego is a pretty minimal portion of my business. I trinkle in sets throughout the year and go pretty hard during Christmas. Its a nice piece of the business since they are high margin, high volume and easy to package compared to most other items. You are never truly "stuck" with them either. You can always sell them even if at small margins. This is not true of all products.

1 minute ago, labfreak7 said:

Unrelated to FBA- this is a FBS question. I sold a set with delivery confirmation. Buyer emails me saying not received. I check the tracking number and see it was delivered last Thursday. If they file a A-Z claim am I screwed?

Did u buy shipping from Amazon ? 

2 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

Unrelated to FBA- this is a FBS question. I sold a set with delivery confirmation. Buyer emails me saying not received. I check the tracking number and see it was delivered last Thursday. If they file a A-Z claim am I screwed?

As long as the tracking shows delivered, and you purchased the shipping label from Amazon you should be covered.

Edited by Lego_Monsters