Mixels 2014

agp548

My sales stopped when two things happened - I raised my prices from $122 to $125, AND I added individual and small set Mixels to my store.  My individual sales have  been fantastic, but my full sets stopped selling.

I'm fine with that.  I'm holding steady at least at $125.  I'll let people undercut me for now, and then slowly increase once again when I start getting sales again. 

• Like 3

My sales stopped when two things happened - I raised my prices from $122 to $125, AND I added individual and small set Mixels to my store.  My individual sales have  been fantastic, but my full sets stopped selling.

I'm fine with that.  I'm holding steady at least at $125.  I'll let people undercut me for now, and then slowly increase once again when I start getting sales again. 

Are you selling on eBay and Amazon? My eBay sales have been slower, but Amazon is doing quite well.

My kid loves these and has them all.  I am still surprised it is hard for me to choose which character / colors will be most popular.  For example from Series 1, I definitely thought the reds were the coolest, but yellows were the clear winner in resale value (though reds are catching up fast).  Series 2, I like the Fang Gang... all those teeth... but the slow, frozen blues are the hottest seller.  Series 3, I like the tans, especially Scorpi, but current word on the street says that purples will become hardest to find.  I'm guessing it has more to do with childrens' attraction to favorite colors than the characters themselves.  Given a choice between a brown, blue, or orange mixel, kids choose blue (a favorite color for lots of people).  Maybe it's as simple as that.

Anyone parting out Mixels yet?  ... just kidding... but I was wondering... could someday the Mixel / Nixel packs become more valuable than the others? Could they be parted out?  For those that don't know... each color set of three has one character that comes with one Nixel inside (Nixels are little black enemies of the Mixels).  If you've seen the cartoon clips, or played the tablet app, you'll know that Nixels get together in large groups to fight the Mixels. It's possible there's some buyers out there who want to create an "army" of Nixels.  I believe the current characters that have Nixels in the pack are: Krader, Teslo, Vulk, Balk, Chomly, Slumbo, Glurt, Hoogi, and Magnifo (correct me if I'm wrong... I just asked my 6 year old, and he listed them off in about 5 seconds.... he seemed quite sure of himself).

On the same note, I think Lego is missing an opportunity to print more money, by not offering black Nixel-only packs.  Just like those kids who don't care about Luke and Han (but want to collect ALL of the Sith and Vaders), I'm sure there are Nixel "dark side" fans.  They could also offer a variety of "boss" Nixels, like those shown on the other media.

• Like 2

I parted out several of the yellow Mixels this summer before I realized their real value was in set sales.  Having said that, I did extremely well on the part outs in my Brick Link store, and they were premium prices for rare color parts.  They were also the first instructions I think I ever sold.

I've been scooping up every Mixel I can find at Meijer stores this week for $2 per pack.  Finding about 100 packs of Series 3 per store and 10-15 stray Series 2 here and there.  At $2, I can't justify passing them up.  I plan on parting out about 30 packs of each of the sets that part out at 4x.

My 6 year old has been building with them every day for the past two weeks and I just showed him how to build the Mega Mixels by combining the color tribes together.  Really ingenious move for Lego, it was like unlocking a new part of his brain when he realized they could become a bigger Mixel.  I'm a big fan of this whole line, and when the glow in the dark ones hit in 2015, I think they are going to be huge hit.

big fan as i've stated.  could be as simple as colors but i think certain ones make for the coolest max mixel.  

example, i think yellow has the worst characters alone, but mix them together and the max mixel is pretty awesome.  i think red of series 1 has the coolest characters.

series 2, i'm also a fan of the brown and all the teeth and does make a cool max.  the orange is kinda weak, blue is ok but Lunk has to be the worst of all mixels imo.  flurry is very popular as is tentro and jawg.  top 3 right there for series 2.  

series 3, purple are my fav max but scorpi is my fav solo.  green kinda lacks for me. tan is cool aside from footi.  he's pretty awful. 

series 4 the red coming back (increasing series 1 red imo) and especially the new glow in the dark ones are gonna be huge.  the space ones look pretty weak.  it will take quite a while for their values to increase as will series 3 but at $2 i don't blame ya's, i'd be getting hundreds as well.  shame i don't have that deal around me.  meijer seems to be a gold mine store!!

mixels really are genius and the creativity is endless.  it's a home run.  still quite a lot of series 3 near me but i think by end of january i'll start seeing them going especially when 4 comes out in february.  

as for the nixels.  they are ok. just a few pieces.  i could see some people wanting an army of them. not sure it'd be worth it for lego to produce a bag of them. like 4-5 per bag.  

and i wouldn't say the ones that come with a nixel are selling for more, in fact because it's not listed on the package if i'm correct, i don't think most know or think about which come with a nixel.  parents certainly have no clue. i think actually the ones that come with a nixel so happen to be the low sellers.  i think lego chose them on purpose maybe cause they thought they were the weaker characters of each set.  

i really wish i had $2 mixels around me. 

Edited by DenJ91
  • Like 3

I was pretty lucky at a couple Meijer stores today while visiting family.  I found 100+ and I know I have at least 2 full cases worth.  If I head back to the big city after the holidays, I'll do some looking again.  I stopped at 7 stores today, 4 coming into town and 3 when leaving, much to my wife's dismay.

I'll post a pic tomorrow in the "Buy" thread, but I can't dig everything out of the back of the truck until my son is out of the house tomorrow.  I found a few other good Meijer deals today, but mostly for personal use and not for investment (cough, CHIMA, cough).

• Like 1

I'd be careful with these going forward. I know this is the hot item around here recently, but as previously mentioned, I'd be willing to bet these behave like the CMF series with Series 1 being worth a lot, then future series' becoming worth less and less as more and more people start hoarding them and more are produced. Not to mention that as soon as some of the rare parts become readily available from other sources, people will be able to BrickLink these guys for cheap.

• Like 4

Very well said.

At $2 a Mixel, you basically get 25 for the RRP of a full set of 9. It's hard to pass that up.

I need to work on my MIL. She lives near a Meijer and she thought I was joking when I told her to grab a Large Flat Rate Priority Mail box and fill it full.

Out of respect, I've avoided your MIL's stomping ground.  That's not the case for towns North, East, and South of her.

• Like 1

I'd be careful with these going forward. I know this is the hot item around here recently, but as previously mentioned, I'd be willing to bet these behave like the CMF series with Series 1 being worth a lot, then future series' becoming worth less and less as more and more people start hoarding them and more are produced. Not to mention that as soon as some of the rare parts become readily available from other sources, people will be able to BrickLink these guys for cheap.

That definitely does seem to be a trend.

Curiously, out of series 3, Green Mixels seem to be the least popular. Unscientifically, the stores I've visited the last couple weeks seem to have ton of the green remaining and far less of the silver/purple.

I agree, I picked up a bunch the other day at Meijer and I'm left with many green. I hope to sort through them over the next day or so to see what I need to complete the sets.

Unfortunately, when I started taking the Mixels from Meijer out of the bags, they had a faint smell of cigarette smoke on them, all of them. So I think either the truck driver, the loader, or someone with the shipping company was a smoker.  It was so weird that all of the Mixels I picked up around Columbus, OH all were tainted with cigarette smoke.  I've already soaked them in a bleach solution and they are drying, so I hope the smell is gone.  I had to throw away the shopping bags and cases they were in.

Unfortunately, when I started taking the Mixels from Meijer out of the bags, they had a faint smell of cigarette smoke on them, all of them. So I think either the truck driver, the loader, or someone with the shipping company was a smoker.  It was so weird that all of the Mixels I picked up around Columbus, OH all were tainted with cigarette smoke.  I've already soaked them in a bleach solution and they are drying, so I hope the smell is gone.  I had to throw away the shopping bags and cases they were in.

How weird is that....I would have though they have to be in a room with smoke for awhile to get it "stuck" to the bag, but maybe not. Guess it could have been a customer return too...if they took them home for awhile and then returned what they didn't want, but that doesn't seem very likely since Mixels aren't blind packs like minifigure packs.

How weird is that....I would have though they have to be in a room with smoke for awhile to get it "stuck" to the bag, but maybe not. Guess it could have been a customer return too...if they took them home for awhile and then returned what they didn't want, but that doesn't seem very likely since Mixels aren't blind packs like minifigure packs.

They were from 5 separate stores, so it had to be from the shipper somehow. Who knows?

Oh the horror!

Mixels at two local Meijers are now ringing up as Clearance for $2.49, instead of the Sale price of $2.  I'm guessing because they were merchandised in the stocking stuffer area of seasonal they are part of the 50% off sale right now. 

Interesting, because the original $2 sale sign I posted earlier says they are $2 until 1/11.  Maybe not?

Oh well, I still picked up a a couple dozen this morning.  I feel bad not taking the Green Torts at 50% RRP, but I tell myself he has the worst part out value of the entire series....I mean I should probably leave some for some kid or grandma that might stop by later.  Yeah, that's what I tell myself.