Mixels 2014

agp548

In my country mixels are quite hard to find on retail (toy shops only).

IMHO it's a bad call from Lego. I'm sure mixels would be great sellers if they were available in supermakets, along with friends pets polybags and lego minifigs.

I've built the 41525 (purple sorcerer) and this one is really great and bigger than what I thought.

I made a great score today! I was visiting a local independent toy retailer and found a handful of series 1 Mixels on their shelves. I asked if they might have any more in back, and the guy climbs a ladder and pulls down TWO full cases of Series 1, apologizing that they 'only' have series one and have sold out of all the more recent ones.

What is the most profitable way to sell these? Should I separate out full sets of 9 and sell them that way? There look to be three full sets in each case, then one extra set of just the red ones. My profit margin won't be as great as for some of you as I'm in Canada and paid $5.49 each for them, but I'm hoping I can still make a bit of cash.

I made a great score today! I was visiting a local independent toy retailer and found a handful of series 1 Mixels on their shelves. I asked if they might have any more in back, and the guy climbs a ladder and pulls down TWO full cases of Series 1, apologizing that they 'only' have series one and have sold out of all the more recent ones.

What is the most profitable way to sell these? Should I separate out full sets of 9 and sell them that way? There look to be three full sets in each case, then one extra set of just the red ones. My profit margin won't be as great as for some of you as I'm in Canada and paid $5.49 each for them, but I'm hoping I can still make a bit of cash.

I wouldn't bother to resell them one by one. But do it if you are patient enough.

The more you part your sells, the more you make profit.

I would sell most of them by colors (the 3 yellow sets, or 3 red, or 3 gray), and some by serie (at a slightly lower price, let's say 10% cheaper). Not one by one (too much work IMO).

Also try to find out what is the most logical and cheapest way to send these (with tracking).

If selling 3 mixels isn't interesting (too expensive shipping), then try to sell a whole serie.

edit: good call BTW :)

Edited by biniou

I was going to post earlier that series 2 is moving up or thinning out on lower $.

It is not selling a ton yet but I think it may be primed for Christmas. :)

I hope so.  I've put together some series 2 sets and some extras of Flurr and Jawg which seem to be the most popular from this wave.  I'll be holding to sell in early December.

I wouldn't bother to resell them one by one. But do it if you are patient enough.

The more you part your sells, the more you make profit.

I would sell most of them by colors (the 3 yellow sets, or 3 red, or 3 gray), and some by serie (at a slightly lower price, let's say 10% cheaper). Not one by one (too much work IMO).

Also try to find out what is the most logical and cheapest way to send these (with tracking).

If selling 3 mixels isn't interesting (too expensive shipping), then try to sell a whole serie.

edit: good call BTW :)

I think this is risky. To me you have two choices:

1) Sell them in complete sets. Advantage: You won't have any left over product. Disadvantage: You may lose slight profit versus selling them individually because someone looking to complete their set may over bid.

2) Sell them individually (or by color packs): Advantage: More profit in the end. Disadvantage: You may be left with a few odd pieces.

I'd say try to sell them in sets first, maybe keeping back a set. If you fail to sell them, you can always break them up. Otherwise, you run the risk of the fever dying out.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm new to this lego investing game, and it was hard to hand over my card to pay $380 for these. I was wondering about selling them as sets of threes - the yellow set fetches a nice amount, so maybe I could get over the $100 average that a full set brings in if I sold them that way.

Good points, Kriterian. I have 4 kids age 2-8, so any leftover Mixels will find a good home. I think I might test the water by selling one of the red sets since I have two extra sets of these. I recently sold some greys I found randomly and didn't really make a lot of profit after eBay took its chunk. Which would be best - an auction, or buy it now?

Good points, Kriterian. I have 4 kids age 2-8, so any leftover Mixels will find a good home. I think I might test the water by selling one of the red sets since I have two extra sets of these. I recently sold some greys I found randomly and didn't really make a lot of profit after eBay took its chunk. Which would be best - an auction, or buy it now?

Whenever I sell anything on eBay I always do an auction with a buy it now. Since it's so easy to check the sold prices of something, it's rare that you'd accidentally place something at too low a price.

• Like 1

Auctions will always sell if priced right (the starting price is low enough), but may not go as high as you want. I always start and end auctions during prime time (evening hours) on Sunday--it's eBay's highest traffic period. Check the recently sold prices and the current low prices and go from there. I would love to stumble across a couple cases of series 1...

Good luck!

I won't lie - auctions scare me. Whenever I browse through the sold listings, I always find some listing that sold for way, way below its value. With my luck, that would be me - 3 series one mixels sold for $9.99. But I also recognize that many of my BIN listings have sat for weeks with no action. I guess I should just get over it and take a risk. If I start the bidding at cost it would be $16.50. Is that too high for a starting bid?

I won't lie - auctions scare me. Whenever I browse through the sold listings, I always find some listing that sold for way, way below its value. With my luck, that would be me - 3 series one mixels sold for $9.99. But I also recognize that many of my BIN listings have sat for weeks with no action. I guess I should just get over it and take a risk. If I start the bidding at cost it would be $16.50. Is that too high for a starting bid?

Yes, I'd definitely start it at cost. When you make a listing now, ebay will tell you the average starting cost of recent sold listings. When I did my Series 1 set, I started it at $40 I think, which is slightly less than what I paid. The bids poured in though within a few minutes.

Auctions have a lot to do with timing. If you check those low final cost auctions, you're usually (not always) looking at one which ended at odd hours (early morning, middle of the night, etc.) It's how some collectors/sellers cherry pick goods at low cost on eBay. Years ago, I'd purchase through auctions which ended at weird times and turn around to sell for profit after fees.

Take care with the timing, price where you are comfortable, and you should be okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into a number of Series 1 at Target last night... was grabbing some milk for the kids and walked by the Lego area.

Noticed the Mixels (a bunch of Series3) and for some reason I took a closer look and in the back there were a bunch of Series 1.

Found 2x of 7of9 characters.  So need 4 more to make two full sets.

They were $4.99 as marked.

Not into Mixels, but I knew Series 1 had sold out, so picked up those 14.

Great... now this is going to make me want to search for the Series 2 as well....

• Like 3

I'm up to my neck in Series 1 and 2 Mixels currently. TRU in Germany had a Mixels and Friends "Buy 4 for 10 Euros" (roughly 13 USD) promo and I cleared out all of their inventory of Series 1 + 2 Mixels the first day of the promo. Went back a few days later to get R2D2 on their 20% of all Star Wars promo and they had magically restocked Series 1+2 Mixels in masses - so of course I had to clear them out again. And on the same day I walked into a Woolworths for the first time in probably 20 years and found 3 more Series 1 sets marked down to 1 Euro (1,25 $) - needless to say I'm sitting on a pretty big stack of those little babies right now.

I've sold a few sets in the past and in my opinion selling them in sets of 3 of a random color yields much better profits than selling them as a whole set  - at least over here. I think your best bet is to watch prices on the Canadian ebay market and go from there - all markets are differently.

I went to LEGOLAND California today, and he's what I can tell you:

Limited supplies of Series 3.  They are there, but you have to hunt for them a bit.

Series 2:

They are SWIMMING in brown and orange.  There are tons of them.  They are everywhere.  I'm amazed at how many they have.

Blue - there are GONE.  There is nothing in blue.  I bought out what I could find today.  I didn't make it to every store, but the ones I did make it to had only very little.

Not sure if this is allowed, but I'll throw this out there - if anyone is still looking for Series 2, I'll gladly help you out.  Just PM me, and I will let you know how I can help.

Limited supplies of Series 3.  They are there, but you have to hunt for them a bit.

Series 2:

They are SWIMMING in brown and orange.  There are tons of them.  They are everywhere.  I'm amazed at how many they have.

Blue - there are GONE.  There is nothing in blue.  I bought out what I could find today.  I didn't make it to every store, but the ones I did make it to had only very little.

Not sure if this is allowed, but I'll throw this out there - if anyone is still looking for Series 2, I'll gladly help you out.  Just PM me, and I will let you know how I can help.

My legoland is the same way.  There were 3 or 4 lunks in blue left but that was it.  Jawg seems to be a little tougher to find than any of the other brown/orange fellers.  I'm very glad I focused on blue.  Is it too soon to start hoarding Series 3?  My spidey sense tells me purple on that one but I could be wrong, greens seem kind of cool too, kind of have that booger feel to them which a lot of kids will like?

Limited supplies of Series 3. They are there, but you have to hunt for them a bit.

Series 2:

They are SWIMMING in brown and orange. There are tons of them. They are everywhere. I'm amazed at how many they have.

Blue - there are GONE. There is nothing in blue. I bought out what I could find today. I didn't make it to every store, but the ones I did make it to had only very little.

Not sure if this is allowed, but I'll throw this out there - if anyone is still looking for Series 2, I'll gladly help you out. Just PM me, and I will let you know how I can help.

My legoland is the same way. There were 3 or 4 lunks in blue left but that was it. Jawg seems to be a little tougher to find than any of the other brown/orange fellers. I'm very glad I focused on blue. Is it too soon to start hoarding Series 3? My spidey sense tells me purple on that one but I could be wrong, greens seem kind of cool too, kind of have that booger feel to them which a lot of kids will like?

I find it surprising how hard of a time you guys are finding series 2. They are all over the place up here. I agree blue is thinner in numbers but fairly readily available.

My legoland is the same way.  There were 3 or 4 lunks in blue left but that was it.  Jawg seems to be a little tougher to find than any of the other brown/orange fellers.  I'm very glad I focused on blue.  Is it too soon to start hoarding Series 3?  My spidey sense tells me purple on that one but I could be wrong, greens seem kind of cool too, kind of have that booger feel to them which a lot of kids will like?

I just started picking up Series 3 this past week, when they were on 20% off at Walgreens.  Of course, I managed to forget about it, so I didn't stock up on nearly enough.  But I figure it's still very early in the game right now.

Series 2:

Same here (LDC)... but even the massive quantities are dwindling some now.

A month ago there were only a dozen Lunks there for blue. Two weeks ago I was mildly disappointed to see a huge restock of all blues. Only a couple dozen blues left again two days ago, mostly Lunk.

I have yet to identify the leading color for S3 but believe there will be a window / last wave in early 2015 to stock up.

how much does it cost to ship an entire set? and how are you shipping them?

I use a 6x6x6 box.  They are 48 cents at Walmart, 25 cents on Amazon if you buy in bulk.

The weight is about 1 lbs, 6 oz.  All 9 Mixels fit in there quite nicely.

If you do online postage purchase, you can get postage anywhere from ~$6 to ~$10.  But I'm on the west coast, so shipping to the east cost is the $10 charge for me.  Shipping within California is $6.