Flick Picks & TV Clicks

Guest eightbrick

Started Easy Rider and jumped ship halfway in.  Classic for some, not for all.

Easy Rider is definitely a niche film. I wasn't a big fan either but then again I probably don't understand the biker culture enough to respect some of the smaller nuances. Dennis Hopper was a cool actor though. I miss that guy. Blue Velvet was awesome and felt like Hopper was playing himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to abruptly make this thread all girly, but I'm really looking forward to this:

Disney's Frozen

Shows how far behind I am with films anymore as I never even heard about that. It intrigues me so especially being somewhat based on The Snow Queen. Thank you for sharing.

Speaking of Disney movies, the 5 minutes or so love story between the old man and his wife in "UP" was one of the best scenes in animation movies.

I agree. ^_^

However, the rest of the movie quickly went downhill from there :(

Everyone's a critic. :wacko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U

Shows how far behind I am with films anymore as I never even heard about that. It intrigues me so especially being somewhat based on The Snow Queen. Thank you for sharing.

You're welcome! There's a really beautiful son*** sung by Idina Menzel (voice of Elsa) that goes with the movie. (This isn't an official video, but it's the best version of the song I've been able to find online.)

I've been keeping an eye on all the "Frozen" merchandise that's been hitting stores this month. Curious how it does during the holidays once the movie comes out in November...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eightbrick

TV shows:

Castle

Body of Proof

The Mentalist

Revenge

Hell's Kitchen

Master Chef

I know and like half of those :) In fact, I'm a total Mentalist nut. Seems to be getting really close to revealing red john :frantics:

Looking for any anime "dorks" to suggest some good series?

Hmm, let's see now.... :scratchhead::spiteful:

Guyver

Dominion: Tank Police

Cowboy Bebop

Tenchi Muyo

Gungrave

Black Lagoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-s31XduHb0

Man alive, too many to remember like Crying Freeman which was a great story but very adult if you know what I mean. Hang on, I got a few more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to put in my girly two cents: Fruits Basket and Rozen Maiden  :D

Also, I haven't seen it, but isn't Black Butler supposed to be good?

Fruits Basket the manga is 10x better than the anime.  The anime was cut short and only covered 1/3 of the manga series :)

My all time favorite is Fullmetal Alchemist the manga series or the Bortherhood anime series.  This is the series that cover philosophy, war/peace, human nature, science, magic, religion, immortality, and artificial intelligence in a steam punk techno settings.  There is no other series can touch the mix of heavy philosophical discussions and light comedic nuances while maintaining high level of action adventure.  

ETA: Plus a walking talking suit of armor..  who can resist ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQ09IrqOtU

Fruits Basket the manga is 10x better than the anime.  The anime was cut short and only covered 1/3 of the manga series :)

My all time favorite is Fullmetal Alchemist the manga series or the Bortherhood anime series.  This is the series that cover philosophy, war/peace, human nature, science, magic, religion, immortality, and artificial intelligence in a steam punk techno settings.  There is no other series can touch the mix of heavy philosophical discussions and light comedic nuances while maintaining high level of action adventure.  

ETA: Plus a walking talking suit of armor..  who can resist ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQ09IrqOtU

I started reading the manga before watching the anime. Stopped halfway through though. I should pick both up again! That's frustrating that they never finished the manga series!

I've heard form Fullmetal Alchemist but never checked it out. I'll have to give it a try.

Two other manga series that I really love (but also never finished) are Bizenghast and Godchild.

I started reading the manga before watching the anime. Stopped halfway through though. I should pick both up again! That's frustrating that they never finished the manga series!

It has been a while since I read it, but IIRC Fruits Basket manga was completed on volume 22 or 23.

Two other manga series that I really love (but also never finished) are Bizenghast and Godchild.

My wife read Godchild, and IIRC she never mentioned it being an incomplete series

If you really want to be frustated with incomplete series like my wife, try reading "Nana" and also "Glass Mask"

Wait, where are all the mainstream suggestions? Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin, Trigun and Witch Hunter Robin!

Here is a mainstream one: Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z series.  :D   I love how these only got really popular in US a few years ago when I grew up reading and watching these in the late 80s and early 90s.  Again, manga was better since the anime mainly consisted of the characters talking to each other while posing in fighting stances.  Some of the anime only episodes were good though, like the whole afterworld Martial Arts tournament (Goku vs Pikehan)

Rurouni Kenshin / Samurai X is much better watched in japanese to catch his favorite catchphrase (oro!).  IIRC it was dubbed as "ouch" in US so its uniqueness was lost in translation.  Also, if you like the goofy Kenshin, stay the heck away from the OVAs :shocked:  :shocked: :shocked:  

It has been a while since I read it, but IIRC Fruits Basket manga was completed on volume 22 or 23.

My wife read Godchild, and IIRC she never mentioned it being an incomplete series

If you really want to be frustated with incomplete series like my wife, try reading "Nana" and also "Glass Mask"

Here is a mainstream one: Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z series.  :D   I love how these only got really popular in US a few years ago when I grew up reading and watching these in the late 80s and early 90s.  Again, manga was better since the anime mainly consisted of the characters talking to each other while posing in fighting stances.  Some of the anime only episodes were good though, like the whole afterworld Martial Arts tournament (Goku vs Pikehan)

Rurouni Kenshin / Samurai X is much better watched in japanese to catch his favorite catchphrase (oro!).  IIRC it was dubbed as "ouch" in US so its uniqueness was lost in translation.  Also, if you like the goofy Kenshin, stay the heck away from the OVAs :shocked:  :shocked: :shocked:  

I remember loving the DBZ games on the SNES.

Watching dubbed anime / movies is a sin!

• Like 1

Oh I meant Fruits Basket anime was never completed, not the manga. Typo!

And I just meant that I personally haven't finished reading Godchild...not that the series was never finished.  :sweat: