Flick Picks & TV Clicks

Guest eightbrick

Guest eightbrick

Akin to the "Musical Picks" topic, I want to hear what your all time favourite movies/television shows are. It can be anything from action to drama to sports to romance (who watches that anyway though?). Don't be shy and don't be mean to other members, even if they really did enjoy Superbaby-Geniuses or whatever that piece of crap was called xD

I'll start off with a couple of my favs; I find most of the ones I put down are great films all together, but have shining endings.

Blood Diamond (Thriller/Drama): Leo DiCaprio picks up a sick south african accent in this eye-opening thriller/drama. Great music but if you're a Leo fan, you can probably already guess how it ends lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPX2kXhu7I

Friday Night Lights (Sports): I'm not a football guy, but the cinematography and story made this a refreshing change to the typical, predictable, sports movie. Plus, the instrumental music by Explosions in the Sky fits perfect (note: the trailer is crap, watch the film).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzyp4qOW0F0

The Lord of The Rings Trilogy (Fantasy): If you are on a Lego forum where Lego LOTR products are frequently discussed, you probably already know how awesome the films are. If you don't, I'll leave it up to the mods to immediately revoke your membership to BrickPicker (jk).

And last I'll just end with my favourite TV show, which is probably going into its final season this year, The Mentalist (crime procedeural): this murder-a-episode series focuses on a former psychic who is now tracking the serial killer who murdered his family. The show can be light and funny, but when the serial killer ("red john") gets involved, it can get pretty unnerving. The series has spent 5 years tracking down murderers so feels a bit tired, but it is still my favourite. And, I'll post a trailer for the 3rd season finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzejrms4YLk

Phew, if you got through all that... you don't get bored easily, do you? Now tell me your picks!

Just watched the season finale of Hannibal. That is a wicked show, recommended if you like your crime dramas with a bit more balls and brains than the usual fare.

Wilfred started its 3rd season last night, check it out if you like a bit of quirk.

Game of Thrones. Nuff said.

If you haven't watched Deadwood yet, do so now.

I can write pages upon pages on this topic.  But for starter, my top 5 TV shows:

Game of Thrones - War, gore, fantasy, tricky political games, power, naked people, etc. No character is safe in this show  The main drawback is trying to keep track of characters' names.   

Star Trek Deep Space Nine - Science Ficton, war, down to earth view of the Federation (as supposed to the pompous TNG and 3 characters show Voyager).  Very weel written show as a whole, interesting and diverse cast.

Sherlock - Holmes in contemporary England. Well made and acted. Other versions of Holmes, please step aside.  Perhaps a bit too much Mycroft :sweat:

Rome - War, historical fantasy, power, naked people, etc.  How 2 roman soldiers caused many major events in the ancient Rome. 

Everybody Loves Raymond - Laughter for all ages

Honorable mention: Leverage, Babylon 5, Modern Family, Black Mirror, Psych, Top Chef

• Like 2

This is a good thread idea. Besides reminiscing about favorite films and TV shows, we can converse about newer ones we saw at the theaters. And don't worry, I won't hijack this one with all my crap! :sarcastichand:

To contribute, can someone, anyone, please tell me they actually know about Stargate?! Why do I feel like the only geek here that watched the whole saga....

Arrested development. Breaking Bad. Walking Dead. Such brilliant storytelling.

I also love Band of Brothers. I've always been an avid WW2 buff.

Favorite movie of all time: the Princess Bride because I can't pick between Star Wars, LOTR and Saving Private Ryan.

Guest eightbrick

I wish I had HBO (I believe that is where the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones show, yes?), but my cable is pretty limited. @ akohns: I loved Princess Bride too... had some funny parts in there.

Which reminds me (I hope I don't get in deep doo-doo for this -  sorry bat-fans) I recently watched the 1989 Batman.... and considering today's standards, I enjoyed as a comedy more than anything. The Joker in that movie is so bad (and I don't mean evil) that it brings the whole movie to hilarity. My brother and I couldn't stop laughing after the hardened criminal Joker broke into a mueseum, killing a bunch of people with laughing gas, only to "make art" xD

Regarding Hannibal - I'm really intrigued but my mom said it is creepy and always changes the channel if its on..

brianl3, you seem like a mature, well-adjusted teenager... Your mom is right. I've seen just about every horrid act ever commited on celluloid. Or at least I thought I had, until I watched Hannibal. Honestly, I don't know how they get away with that stuff on network tv.

To contribute, can someone, anyone, please tell me they actually know about Stargate?! Why do I feel like the only geek here that watched the whole saga....

I can't speak for any other geeks, but I could not get into Stargate because initially it was just "Sliders with gun".  My head could only keep up with 1 parallel dimension show at a time.  Number two, the movie was soo boring.   :hot:  Pity because based on the synopsis it had so much potential.  No offense to the die hard Stargate fans, of course

Here's some kind of obscure movies some of you might have missed:

The Outlander- sci-fi, vikings, glow in the dark alien.

Attack the Block- sci-fi, London hoodies, glow in the dark alien.

Idiocracy- Brawndo's got what plants need. What about water? You mean, that stuff in toilets?

Ravenous- frontier life, cannibalism, best soundtrack ever.

The Thin Red Line- saving private ryan, with 95% more depth.

The Proposition- Australian revenge western.

Let the Right One In- best vampire movie ever.

Sunshine- sci-fi, 2001 of the modern age, without all the boring bits.

Hot Rod- kewl beans

Oldboy- this movie will have its way with your mind and won't apologize.

• Like 1

I can't speak for any other geeks, but I could not get into Stargate because initially it was just "Sliders with gun".  My head could only keep up with 1 parallel dimension show at a time.  Number two, the movie was soo boring.   :hot:  Pity because based on the synopsis it had so much potential.  No offense to the die hard Stargate fans, of course

....Ow. Guess not a fan of egyptian mythos mixed with alien technology, huh? Ah well. Then again from my viewpoint, Sliders had potential and a great concept but didn't seem to go anywhere really.

Matt Damon! (Team America)

AMERICA, F**K YEAH!

Oookay, then how about the TV series, Farscape?

Storage Wars was intersting until ol Dave Hester became a whistleblower and said that the show is staged and that most interesting items found were planted by producers! Newsflash.......most reality shows are scripted, The runner up on the 2nd season of Hells Kitchen is one of my good friends and she told me that it was 90% scripted......LAME!!!!!

....Ow. Guess not a fan of egyptian mythos mixed with alien technology, huh? Ah well. Then again from my viewpoint, Sliders had potential and a great concept but didn't seem to go anywhere really.

Oookay, then how about the TV series, Farscape?

Sliders was a fun little show about 4 people sliding from dimension to dimension.. until they killed the professor and brought in the alien/whatever dimension invaders.  I guessed they tried to be Stargate with no weapons  :laugh:

Farscape was on during my party years,  :party: I had no recollections of it 

Oh oh what about Firefly?! After I watched the film Serenity I watched the whole series.

Here's some animation favorites:

The Triplets of Belleville

Memories

The Illusionist

Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

The Secret of Kells

And the best animated film of all time Princess Mononoke

• Like 1

Oh oh what about Firefly?! After I watched the film Serenity I watched the whole series.

Here's some animation favorites:

The Triplets of Belleville

Memories

The Illusionist

Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

The Secret of Kells

And the best animated film of all time Princess Mononoke

:dance: Awesome choices, and thank you for mentioning Firefly and Triplets of Belleville! :biggrin:

Wallace & Gromit is the best stopmotion animated duo ever. Gromit is right there with Snoopy as far as "Joe Cool" non-speaking dogs go.

Oh boy, great thread, where to start...

OK, here's my top twelve of each:

TV Shows

1. Breaking Bad
  2. Sopranos (RIP James Gandolfini)
  3. Game of Thrones
  4. Alias
  5. Suits
  6. Band of Brothers
  7. South Park
  8. 24
  9. Louie
  10. IT crowd
  11. Simpsons
  12. Black Mirror (seriously check this out if you haven't)

Movies

1. LOTR Trilogy
  2. The Matrix
  3. Fight Club
  4. Tombstone
  5. Shawshank Redemption
  6. Star Wars (Original trilogy)
  7. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  8. Pulp Fiction
  9. Snat(ch) (lol, looks like the naughty word filter didn't like this one)
  10. Terminator 2
  11. Saving Private Ryan
  12. Heat

Really I could go on and on  :D

IT Crowd
"Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" :rofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8
Seriously, anyone that is even remotely a computer nerd must watch this! You can buy the complete series on DVD if anyone sells it.
Great taste, Grolim.

To go with the film, S****h, how about "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" or "RockNRolla"?

IT Crowd

"Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" :rofl:

Seriously, anyone that is even remotely a computer nerd must watch this! You can buy the complete series on DVD if anyone sells it.

Great taste, Grolim.

To go with the film, S****h, how about "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" or "RockNRolla"?

I use that off and on again line all the time  :rofl:   Especially at work where I swear every tech problem that can't be solved with this sends our IT dept into a spin!

Love Lock Stock as well and that would be slightly outside the 12 and probably in the top 20.  So many good films I could list a top 50.  (I like ranking things)  :geek:

Please, the Departed was an exact copy of a Hong Kong original flick called Infernal Affairs (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338564:aikido:

Once you watch the original, the copy was just very unsatisfying  :drag: Plus, the Departed shows you Jack Nicholson's penis  :startle:

Exactly, and for all the plaudits it received, I thought the acting was very disappointing.

Guest eightbrick

TV Shows

Game of Thrones

Arrow

Dexter

Survivor (guilty pleasure)

Movies

I love a lot of movies, really hard to pinpoint them. Blood Diamond is one of my favourites and far superior to the vastly overrated The Departed.

Dark Knight maybe, judging by your profile pic? ;)

Is Breaking Bad the teacher who makes drugs? Or is that another show?

Blackjack- is oblivion worth paying money to see in  theatres?