Retiring Soon - open speculation

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

The problem I have with the San Francisco set is the giant, phallic looking building. It disrupts the aesthetic of an otherwise nice looking set. 

if you think the set is bad...1000x worse for the actual city skyline...that tower is ridiculous

maybe someday it will blend like the futuristic skyline portrayed in Big Hero 6...

36 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

if you think the set is bad...1000x worse for the actual city skyline...that tower is ridiculous

maybe someday it will blend like the futuristic skyline portrayed in Big Hero 6...

I bet. It wasn’t there when my wife and I visited in 2008. We had a great time visiting (rode bikes across Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Trolleys, Muir Woods etc.) but the Salesforce Tower is the reason I have avoided buying the set. 

Edited by Mathew

Just now, enotoga said:

Could be like shooting ducks in a bucket this season.  If.....the toy shortages hit like they're being projected to.  Could be a great quick flip market for sets that will be "Out of Stock" in Nov/Dec, before becoming available again in Q1 2022.  What do you guys think? 

QFLL is tuff w/ risks...gotta keep up w/ local and regional stock levels...and unless focusing on local; shipping on time is out of your hands since USPS and FedEx may be pretty backed up as well.

The easier play is just targeting sets that are retiring...there is a boatload of retirees (some more likely than others)...any way you do it; there is risk.

41 minutes ago, enotoga said:

Could be like shooting ducks in a bucket this season.  If.....the toy shortages hit like they're being projected to.  Could be a great quick flip market for sets that will be "Out of Stock" in Nov/Dec, before becoming available again in Q1 2022.  What do you guys think? 

There is always opportunity for QFLL every holiday season.  It's not always easy to predict what will be out of stock in order to stock up ahead of time, but if you keep an eye on local stock levels and online availability, you can see what you should be buying up locally when it is no longer available/temporarily unavailable from the usual retail online channels: Amazon, LEGO SaH, Target.com, Walmart.com, etc. Holiday themed LEGO are always a good candidate. 

I guess your unfamiliar with the article where Lego announced that they will not have shortages this year, and the term Returnuary.

Not to rain on your parade. Buy away. I’m genuinely curious what your picks will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, nolan808 said:

Rumours going around that 21320 dinosaur fossils is no longer retiring. 

How many Ideas sets can they have possibly on the shelf at the same time? Or do we see a surprise retirement of another set? Already more than 1/3 of all Ideas sets ever released for regular retail are currently on the market. Add the ones that have been announced and only retire 2, we are starting to push towards 50%. That's a lot of shelf space.

1 minute ago, BrickLover80 said:

How many Ideas sets can they have possibly on the shelf at the same time? Or do we see a surprise retirement of another set? Already more than 1/3 of all Ideas sets ever released for regular retail are currently on the market. Add the ones that have been announced and only retire 2, we are starting to push towards 50%. That's a lot of shelf space.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if pirates of barracuda gets extended too. So only one ideas set goes ship in bottle.

1 minute ago, nolan808 said:

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if pirates of barracuda gets extended too. So only one ideas set goes ship in bottle.

Barracuda bay is drying up where I am. Easier for me to find Treehouse in the wild which was difficult in the past than bb now. 

4 minutes ago, coelian said:

Barracuda bay is drying up where I am. Easier for me to find Treehouse in the wild which was difficult in the past than bb now. 

Still could come back in full force before Christmas though but who knows. 

Gutted about dinosaur fossils, was one I have a few of.

Edited by nolan808

4 minutes ago, nolan808 said:

Still could come back in full force before Christmas though but who knows. 

Gutted about dinosaur fossils, was one I have a few off. 

Ideas used to be a fairly safe bet but the extensions and revivals from the dead are making things real tricky. 

Apollo, Barracuda bay and Treehouse would have been clear winners if not for these curve balls thrown to us by lego. 

At this point maybe its better to put that money and space into roller coasters. 

Edited by coelian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nolan808 said:

Rumours going around that 21320 dinosaur fossils is no longer retiring. 

to be honest its getting rather borong. lego just ******* around all the time now its pathetic. listing stuff as retiring then week later its not retiring.

defo calling it a day after this EOL season.

Edited by joneyyy1981

3 hours ago, coelian said:

Be sure to ask about BB when at the LEGO stores.  I was recently at LEGO and they said they had several BB in the back but no shelf space due to all the new releases.  All these large 18+ sets really hurt smaller stores with limited shelf space.

19 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

to be honest its getting rather borong. lego just ******* around all the time now its pathetic. listing stuff as retiring then week later its not retiring.

defo calling it a day after this EOL season.

Couple that with Amazon having stock of retired stuff FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR, disallowing sets to be sold for unknown reasons.

Its definitely turned into a game of avoiding land mines. Last year I dumped so many harry potter casts, whomping willows, ship in a bottle and nasa's I wanted to cry. Definitely going after "safer" choices from here on out even if the return isn't the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joneyyy1981 said:

anyway what rumours ? from where... thats 3 in a week & about 5k of inventory i might as well set light to.

Well that is part of the lego game, if you dont like it, dont do it 

But yeah it sucks to look at sets which should have retired in your opinion. Unfortuneately i know that feeling too well.

COVID has certainly changed the game. Supply chain shortages, demand for product, perceived scarcity due these, re-releases, extended retirements. All part of the “game”. Nothing is a “sure bet”. You definitely need to do a lot more homework than prior years. Adapt or die, sink or swim. You can still do well, just need to read the tea leaves a little longer nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk