Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Foxhound said:

I'm not sure, if it was mentioned before:

71016 Kwik-E-Mart ist officially tagged as 'retiring soon' (shop-lego.com/de), whereas 71006 The Simpsons House is only tagged as 'hard to find'.

The funny thing is... The Simpsons House is extremely easy to find at a lot of places just like other "hard to find" sets. I can't wait for 71006 to retire as it seems like it's been around since Homer was born!

1 hour ago, Foxhound said:

I'm not sure, if it was mentioned before:

71016 Kwik-E-Mart ist officially tagged as 'retiring soon' (shop-lego.com/de), whereas 71006 The Simpsons House is only tagged as 'hard to find'.

I mentioned that.. and before I did that, i put the set number "71016" into a search field in upper right corner of this page. It quickly searches through the entire forum and you can see in an instant, whether that set number was mentioned (at all) within this specific thread.. 

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

The funny thing is... The Simpsons House is extremely easy to find at a lot of places just like other "hard to find" sets. I can't wait for 71006 to retire as it seems like it's been around since Homer was born!

Can't wait till SH is gone. Only reason why I'm sitting on 20+ is because somebody said they weren't on the 2017 wholesale catalog.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Good way to troll the competition!

Lol. I don't have competition. But seriously, you can check old threads of this person saying Simpson House would be done at the end of 2016. I was skeptical when he said Architecture Studios are done now but other sources confirm AS EOL so I pulled the trigger on it. If I had to do it over again I would've put $$$ in Trevi Fountain instead of SH. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

11 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

Lol. I don't have competition. But seriously, you can check old threads of this person saying Simpson House would be done at the end of 2016. I was skeptical when he said Architecture Studios are done now but other sources confirm AS EOL so I pulled the trigger on it. If I had to do it over again I would've put $$$ in Trevi Fountain instead of SH. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Yes, I know who said it and it seemed legit. But if you went back a year, why waste it on Trevis when you could have had Dragon Sanctuaries for the same money and are now 4xrrp?

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Yes, I know who said it and it seemed legit. But if you went back a year, why waste it on Trevis when you could have had Dragon Sanctuaries for the same money and are now 4xrrp?

True but I don't mess with elves. Maybe I'll crunch the elve numbers next week & see about going in on them. My business model is to just stick with boring & Trevi Fountain screams boring.

5 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

True but I don't mess with elves. Maybe I'll crunch the elve numbers next week & see about going in on them. My business model is to just stick with boring & Trevi Fountain screams boring.

Lightning probably won´t strike in the same place twice. This year´s Elves are in the sights of the horde.

• Like 4

Just now, Haay said:

The horde is always, by definition, running two steps behind. Following the trend rather than going ahead of the trend. 

To be fair, anyone that would have suggested Elves and Bionicles as the most profitable themes at the beginning of 2016 would have been roundly mocked. I was convinced that 41109 Friends Plane and 60112 Fire Engine were hidden gems and look at what happened to them.

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Lightning probably won´t strike in the same place twice. This year´s Elves are in the sights of the horde.

true.  unless there is a set that retires from the theme that is not on the list, i doubt any set hits 4x msrp.

20 minutes ago, Val-E said:

it would have been foolhardy to start buying up Dragon Sanctuaries a year ago when the set had only been out for 2 months going into the holiday season.  hindsight is 20/20. 

if you were really brilliant you would have been snatching up boring old 31032 Red Creatures for $11 and on the cusp of 6x'ing your money.

trevis are 2.5x my lazy man buyin which is alright with me.  with time they will get there.  boring old Berlin and Venice  cityscapes will surprise to the upside as the first iteration of any theme or subtheme always does.  especially at the $22.99 perma buy-in going on essentially since they were released until a month ago.

surprised that the little blue express train is on the go list.  that's another 3-4x'er in a year or so even at msrp buyin.