Retiring Soon - open speculation

Guest TabbyBoy
13 hours ago, crayxlp said:

perhaps you should first clarify what you see as "an investment"  (appreciation in percentage per a year?).. there are many people who invest in ordinary stock exchange market expecting maybe around 5-8 % {if they are lucky) increase and appreciation of their investment paid in the annual revenues.. and to them its not bad at all! (no extra work or shifts done).. so what kind of appreciation do you expect.?

We all hope that the % increase for LEGO is higher than stocks & shares as there's a hell of a lot more work involved. Put it this way... I'm going through 3 reels of packing tape a day and it's about a 30 hour week working my own hours, but I only have the time while my new business is being set up. There's no way I'd be doing this now if I had a full time job as I'd rather make more money on overtime with less work. LEGO can be a good investment, but make wise choices on sets and don't "say" too much ;-)

If the LEGO aftermarket does "crash", it'll get rid of most QFLLs, those that ride out the storm will be rewarded and a new era will emerge. Yes, I'm buying again, but I'm either turning sets around quickly for cash now or letting them "mature" for when my business is ticking along nicely and I have more time again. More importantly, it's funds that I can afford to lose.

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

We all hope that the % increase for LEGO is higher than stocks & shares as there's a hell of a lot more work involved. Put it this way... I'm going through 3 reels of packing tape a day and it's about a 30 hour week working my own hours, but I only have the time while my new business is being set up. There's no way I'd be doing this now if I had a full time job as I'd rather make more money on overtime with less work. LEGO can be a good investment, but make wise choices on sets and don't "say" too much ;-)

If the LEGO aftermarket does "crash", it'll get rid of most QFLLs, those that ride out the storm will be rewarded and a new era will emerge. Yes, I'm buying again, but I'm either turning sets around quickly for cash now or letting them "mature" for when my business is ticking along nicely and I have more time again. More importantly, it's funds that I can afford to lose.

You need to get those cats of yours trained in cutting and taping. Let´s face it, they would probably not do a worse job than some retailers.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

We all hope that the % increase for LEGO is higher than stocks & shares as there's a hell of a lot more work involved. 

Not just work. Also overhead. Netting just 5-8% profit requires significantly more appreciation than that to cover the 10-15% in fees and other costs like shipping, packaging, storage, etc.

• Thanks 2

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

You need to get those cats of yours trained in cutting and taping. Let´s face it, they would probably not do a worse job than some retailers.

They're already busy with the washing, ironing and vacuuming! My Tabby's good, but not THAT good ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
5 minutes ago, mizeur said:

Not just work. Also overhead. Netting just 5-8% profit requires significantly more appreciation than that to cover the 10-15% in fees and other costs like shipping, packaging, storage, etc.

It's the same with any business as you often have a much bigger overhead like a lease, utilities, staff and maybe a franchise fee (often 10%+). I worked out that I'd have saved over £900 last year if eBay didn't rip us off with the FVF on P&P. I charge buyers another £1 for P&P this year and, strangely, they don't seem that bothered by the increase. If they ask, I'll gladly tell them.

To double your money on a £100 set, you'll need to sell it for around £300 to cover fees and, most importantly, Income Tax!

If you're a large volume seller with an eBay Business Account, I suggest you become a Limited Company (dividends are tax efficient), register for VAT as you'll only pay 9% rather than 10.8% FVF and you'll be able to attract more buyers who can reclaim VAT. It's a quarterly return in the UK, but doesn't take long once you've got it set up. Sadly, eBay offers no promotions for Business Sellers, why is that? Of course, Private is preferred, but carries the huge risk of HMRC investigation - it happened to me!

Private eBay sellers who sell the same items which is obviously trading WILL get caught. eBay are cracking down and competitors WILL grass you up.

If eBay/PayPal make more money on your sales than you do, it's time to move on.

Guest TabbyBoy

It's the "ADD TO WISHLIST" button at the bottom of every retired set that bothers me. Does this mean that it'll be resurrected if enough people "wish" for it?

13 minutes ago, cladner said:

city fun in the park,  emmas ice cream truck c2c us shop at home.

list wins again.  not bad accurately predicting the EOL of a 5 month old set.

Yeah, I´m tracking all the European out of stocks and it is spot on so far - apart from the themes that were missing.

Themes that are struggling to sell out are DC Super Girls, TLBM, Nexo, City 2017 sets, Star Wars (probably stocked up for the new movie) and Brickheadz. Contrast that with 2016 Elves and Ninjago which are all already unavailable.

Edited by Val-E

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Yeah, I´m tracking all the European out of stocks and it is spot on so far - apart from the themes that were missing.

Themes that are struggling to sell out are DC Super Girls, TLBM, Nexo, City 2017 sets, Star Wars (probably stocked up for the new movie) and Brickheadz. Contrast that with 2016 Elves and Ninjago which are all already unavailable.

do you have a list of the 2016 elves and ninjago you could provide ?

14 minutes ago, cladner said:

city fun in the park,  emmas ice cream truck c2c us shop at home.

list wins again.  not bad accurately predicting the EOL of a 5 month old set.

Could be a good one in the states. Only snow set that has Emma in it.

Unfortunately friends market is dire in uk without deeeep discount.